GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 15th 2002, 22:46

are you leaving the oil filter in its stock location or relocating it?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 16th 2002, 16:58

nevermind that last post, sandeep. i already know the answer to that.

well it is purchase day for me today. looks like i have a fan/alt setup. just waiting on final confirmation. just ordered the FAT shroud (in red) and oil cooler and filter bypass a minute ago.

so now to oil cooling and exhaust. probably going BAS. was tempted by the FAT but not gonna do it. have to do some research on an afforable oil cooling system.

Old December 16th 2002, 22:05

just locked in the fan/alt too. it was a good day. i also ordered a remote entry system/alarm today.

Christmas is complete.

Old December 16th 2002, 23:40

Good choice on the BAS and the FAT shroud, now we can build you a 270D version and have 2 pieces already!!
Old December 17th 2002, 08:08

that's the idea. much of what i am buying is a little overkill for a stocker, but i am buying for the future. now to see if the engine really even runs (i don't have full trust in PAP) or i may be coming to you earlier than i thought.

Old December 17th 2002, 10:42
Administrator

Thumbs up

Zen,

How does it feel to move ahead ? Congrats on the purchases. I'm purchasing items for my future 2270, like you.

I've been fooling around with the 44 IDF kit over the last few days..... The kit was new through Cal Imports... but it said 'Intake Horns not included' but they came in the box ! Nice suprise. As well, the air filters in the picture were the square ones... I wanted the oval ones... guess what came in the kit.. THE OVAL ONES ! Nice suprise again.

I had to do some minor filing with a Rat Tail file to get the holes for the intake studs to fit on the heads but thats about it.... had to trim the intake gaskets as well but I think you have to do that for all systems.

One other thing about the carb kit... it came with 5/16" fuel line... I'm not sure of the diameter of the stock fuel line (Will measure it next time) but it looks smaller. And the stock fuel line fits into a 'T' which feed 2 5/16" dia lines.... I think the stock fuel line needs to be changed to keep up with the carbs... have to research that.

I've got the carbs ready to bolt on now .. long block install happening this weekend ! I'll take pics and post to keep everyone updated.

I've decided on the BAS 21152 ... good up to 200HP. I'm hoping for between 160-180hp from the future 2270. Not sure about the stainless version or steel and ceramic coat. I'll go with a custom muffler setup though.... need to install the 18x10's with 265/35's to see what kind of room I have.

I've got an oil cooler block off adapter tapped for 2 external lines... I'm looking at a MESA-Cool cooler 48 plate 8"x11"x1.5" with fan, thermostat. I want to install it under the parcel tray in a box from racerpartswholesale with 2 NACA ducts feeding cool air to it. The fan should be able to draw from the ducts in standing traffic. Still researching this though....

Sandeep
Old December 17th 2002, 11:52

Just don't go too crazy buying things for the new engine......The shroud and the exhaust are pretty universal as well as a Mallory Distributor.......drop me a line before buying anything else, as I may not want to use it after you buy it,some stuff is just junk!!

Zen, you need to come see me.
Old December 17th 2002, 14:17

Quote:
Zen, you need to come see me.
yea, i really do. i haven't even sent you a check for a video because i keep saying i will just be up there anyway. will you be around 26th or 27th? or just let me know whenever you are available and i will find the time. i want to make sure you are cool with what i am buying. i should also have a flywheel by then and will need it setup for the conversion. do you have the bushing or do i need to order one? shoot me an email if needed. zenhardy@charter.net

zen

Old December 17th 2002, 23:01
Administrator

Post 44 IDF trial fit

Another evening, another step completed

I've mocked up the 44 IDF's to see how the hex bar linkage would install and here's what I've found.

The linkage installs with some slight problems... I had to cut about 1/2" off each end of the bar stock... I think the bar is standard and needs to be cut to length... there is about 1" of thread inside the bar after I cut it.

After installation of the linkage, you can see that there is about 4-5mm of clearance between the shroud and hex bar... TIGHT... but nothing rubs...

You can see that the right drop link is almost vertical and the left drop link is not... this will definately affect throttle operation in the left carb ... I checked to see if I missed a peice in the installation but I didn't. I'm going to have to fab a small extension peice from some bar stock I have laying around so the left drop link is vertical as well. No big deal....

Other than that, Its now time to install this baby !

Sandeep
Old December 18th 2002, 08:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Massive Type IV
Zen, I just booked a fishing trip for that week since things are going to be so slow and UPS is so goofed up......I'll be here till xmas and then be abck after the 29th
very cool. hope you have fun. word has it you need the vacation. i will see if i can get out there later this week.

i have been debating on crossbar vs. bellcrank linkage. mainly because i was aware there can be issues with this shroud. i assume the CSP linkage that is for a type IV with a 911 shroud will work with the FAT shroud, but i am not sure. any idea?

Old December 18th 2002, 11:49

I have the CSP bell crank on my engine, very nice piece at a good price. I think it would fit with the FAT shroud but it will be close where it bolts on to the case. It uses the last two case through bolts for mounting. I had to use longer bolts and a couple of flat washers to make it fit perfect.
ken
Old December 20th 2002, 13:54
Administrator

Post Linkage problem figured out !

In my last post, you could see that the carb linkage did not look right and only opened up half way with the way the hex bar was set up (left carb)

I sorted this out by making a small 'extension' for the left side drop link. I took some hollow bar stock I had laying around and it just happened to have the correct inner dia to tap a 6mm x 1 thread into it.

I drilled the linkage connection point on the carb arm to enlarge it to 6mm from the factory 5mm. I then tapped the other end of my 'extension' to fit the factory 5mm linkage bolt.

The extension is 1" in length, is solid, I loctited everything and now I have no play what so ever, and both carbs work like they are supposed to.

Problem solved....

Sandeep
Old December 20th 2002, 15:35

very cool. get us some pics when you can. i am thinking i will go bellcrank linkage, but i guess i depends on what i do about carbs and if i get a whole kit or not.

i got my fan yesterday (one day shipping during the holidays from a neighboring state, not bad UPS). going to talk to a powder coater hopefully today. haven't decided color, non-color or what yet though. guess i better do that.

if FAT can be half as quick, i will be able to do some of this over the xmas break from work.

Old December 20th 2002, 16:00

Zen, watch who powdercoats it, the fan is magnesium and will really goof them up if they get it too hot, or use too much powder as the magnesium actually breathes as it gets hot.
Old December 21st 2002, 18:09
Administrator

Talking Yeah Baby Yeah !

Installed the long block... now time to run wires, fuel line, paint firewall....

Another view ...

Update ... I used some sprayable truck bedliner