GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old December 24th 2003, 21:51

Guess who's been nice for christmas!!!

Hi everyone, I got news from the Wizard owner I found on the internet. Here's what he wrote me about the conversion:

"The lights are CLK and sawn in half. They are mounted into 2" oversized fibreglass wings, with the headlamp bowls removed. On the inside of the wings there are mounting points fibreglassed on. So the light can bolt from the inside. The mechanism to adjust the lights was mostly removed to allow better clearance. The headlamp bulbs were also mofified slightly to allow
clearance of those 17" alloys.

They mounted side lights and orange bulbs into the lamps for the
sidelights. As these would have been in the second set of lights originally on a CLK.

As the lamp units are so deep i had problems with tyre clearance for those 17s. We had to shorten the framehead to allow the beam to sit further back at an angle to help. But even with this mod, the tyres were very VERy close
when lowered to a good height. It was drivable though. Maybe get some 35 type tyres on 17". I had 40 profiles.hope that helps!
Paul"

Like Paul says, I hope this can help you! I'll ask him if he has pictures of the inside of his fenders, to see whatit looks like
Frank
Old December 25th 2003, 12:02

Lightbulb why not be even more creative

what about trying to create your own style headlamps out of car spares.
these two sites might help
www.cardesignnews.com
http://www.johns306.com/guides/angel_eyes.htm
its alot of work but you get a truely original effect
Old December 25th 2003, 14:18

I like the angel eyes. I never would have thought of that.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old December 25th 2003, 15:19

Hi everyone!

Lazyted: Have you read previous posts? angle eyes were already discussed and someone is writing a tech article on it. Personnaly I think it adds a nice touch but I'm not pretty sure if it fits the german look. Also About making your own custom headlights, it's another good Idea but I wouldn't risk driving with them on the streets with the laws we have where I live, they're too strict.

With the CLK headligths, I'm trying to get an Hi-tech look that still remains subtle while unaltering the Beetle's original look, german look is in my opinion subtle, not flashy. Adding wider fenders allow bigger wheels and also keeps the proportions right between the new lights and the whole car.

Hybrid John: I enclosed a picture of the CLK headlight assembly in my post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clk assembly.jpg (17.7 KB, 70 views)
Old December 25th 2003, 15:58

Quick message! Get those CLK lights for around a hundred smackers on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old December 25th 2003, 16:00

Quick message! Get those CLK lights for around a hundred smackers on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

be quick 8hrs of auction time remaining !
Old December 26th 2003, 09:33

Hi,

Don’t know if you really want Porsche head lights or just “something else” I’ve put some Mercedes Type-E headlights in my Mexico and it looks great, u don’t have to worry about what and where and you’re going to install those damn bike blinkers to still have a modern GL look, with the Mercedes’ you have them inside the head light, and u don’t even see them when not using them !
Old December 26th 2003, 14:21

Do you have pics of it? The thing is CLK headlights were found on E class ant C class Mercedez Benz. Are your headlights recent, these CLK headlights ar from 98-02 Mercedes Benz. Porsche ones cost too mutch. I checked many sellers of replacement headlights and the only Porsche lights available were signal lights.
Old December 27th 2003, 03:09

Thank God!

I'm glad we finally got around to a good looking option!

Coxbow, you don't have tire clearance problems? I've talk to a few hot rod guys and they said fitment is a pain. I don't mind shaving off every extra piece of plastic from the backside, but according to them, its still a really close fit. I'll be running 205/40/17s up front, and I'm all for the Mercedes look if they'll fit. I think they look amazing. Otherwise, I think that stock is still very nice.

I hope you guys don't forget about what makes a Bug look so good in the first place. The lights are the soul! If you guys really want to get crazy, have Carbon Joe make you up some carbon fiber rings and inserts!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 27th 2003, 09:00

i know that people had posted about angel eyes before i just thought it was a good idea to post a site showing home made angel eyes. by the way i beg to differ that angel eyes are not german look they come from the bmw 3 series you cant get more german look then a bmw. as for strict laws idont know what its like there, but even so if you make a good job of it and you use parts from other headlights then you should be able to make road legal ones. ive seen people make some realy cool designs using LEDs.
Old December 27th 2003, 18:18

Hi everyone

Coxbow,are your headlights E class headlights like the ones I posted previously? If so I'd really like to get some info on how to get that done, it seems that I wasn't a big deal for you to mount them on your bug!

About the angel eyes, I didn't know they were factory equipment on BMW, I'm glad to know now! By the way they are optional equipment on Series 5 and 7, Hella made a kit for the series 3 BMWs since it wasn't available for them.

About the laws in Québec, leds are forbidden, clear lights other than factory ones or ones sold by car dealers are illegal. Pretty much any aftermarket stuff is illegal, the police tolerates some of the mods we do on our car until they throw big operations to check out cars for aftermarket stuff. The moment you get caught, you have to get your car inspected which cost a lot, if your not completly legal at the inspection, you get a ticket and you have to undo all mods and get it inspected until they tell you it's road worthy! You also have topay for towing when being caught. They have a new project, make cars more than 6 years old be inspected every 2 years!! they're crasy!
Old December 29th 2003, 05:35

Hi folks,

Yes I have some pics of it, as soon as I’ve found a program that allows me to reduce my pics I’ll send them.

Volkdent, I also have 205/40/17s up front and it is really not a problem !
I agree with you about “The lights are the soul” that’s why I’ve put those lights, they really look like pré ’67 one’s

Frank, yes they are E class exactly the same as the one’s you’ve put on link, and it’s really not that difficult to put them in, I mounted them in fiberglass wings (it’s easier to work fiber than steel !) it took me a couple of hours and I’m really not an expert !

Frank I would be glad to have he same laws here in Belgium, every car older than 4 years have to be inspected every year!

The cool thing is that cars older than 25 years who are registered as “old timer” only have to pass inspection one’s (the first time they are registered as old timer) and then never again, which allows u to do almost everything! So a more than 25 years beetle is the top!
Old December 29th 2003, 08:31

Unhappy

that sucks here in greece you have an inspection every 3-4 years and consists mainly on checking that you havnt changed engine without registering the new one and that your car is in good enough condition to be road safe ( brakes still work, steering is in good condition etc.) i see no reason to outlaw modification if they dont realy make the car unsafe. clear glass lights have been proven to be safer then the old style, and good acceleration and handling most of the time helps you avoid accidents (unless you are a complete speed nutter )
Old December 29th 2003, 13:16

Here in Florida we have no inspections at all. You could drive your 10 sec. drag car to go get bread and milk from the food store and wouldn't have to worry about getting a ticket.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old December 29th 2003, 15:22

Quote:
Originally posted by boygenius
Here in Florida we have no inspections at all. You could drive your 10 sec. drag car to go get bread and milk from the food store and wouldn't have to worry about getting a ticket.
You lucky basterds:silly: Mwhahahahaa

(p.s. just kidding)

Wiebrand