GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old July 1st 2008, 23:53

autostick problems

my neighbor has a 73 super beetle autostick that seems to be stuck in neutral, if you try putting it in gear it grinds badly before it goes in gear but it does go into gear with force( had to get it home) someone told me the autosticks flywheel or something can become stuck but I'm not to familiar with that transmission so i need help fixing her car. Any ideas other than swapping to a 4 speed(my suggestion )
Old July 2nd 2008, 09:54

Hi,
I am fairly new to autosticks, but I have had to repair mine so I am somewhat familiar with its operation.

Is there any rpm change when trying to change gears?
can you hear the vacum valve clicking?

If the answer is no ...

the fact that it is grinding tells me that the clutch servo isnt engaging, try to see if the shifter switch contact/wire is working properly and sending the "engage" signal to the vacum valve. pull back the boot at the base of the shifter and check that the grey wire coming out of the base of the shifter is intact and grounds out when moving the shifter. I was able to test he rest of the system by grounding this wire and engaging the clutch this way, thus verifying that this was the problem on my autostick.

If thats working I would then verify that the vacum valve is actually sending vacum to the servo, again you can test the valve by powering up the solenoid and listening for a click and rpm change (doing this creates a temporary vacum leak), then check the servo its self for vacum leaks or ripped diaphram.

another problem could be the switch on the tranmission the disables the vacum switch when the shifter is not in neutral, but I would check the other components first.

more autostick info here:
http://www.vwar.org/

I hope that helps

Bry

Last edited by CLKWRK; July 2nd 2008 at 09:56.
Old July 3rd 2008, 12:45

thanks for the info, i will look to see if the ground wire is broken on the shifter and i guess i can just touch it to metal to ground it while i check the other parts? Thanks for the link to the site, i plan to spend some time ''learning'' when i get some free time.