GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old August 21st 2011, 06:43

912 5 speed

Hi, I was thinking about buying a 5 speed from a 912. I beleive the clutch apply would no longer be an issue, is this correct? Also how much can I expect to pay? One seller stated, in good working order, he would sell for 400, plus 100 to creat it; and the shipping cost would be on my. I think it woud be about at least 200. So is a 912 trans in running condition worth 700?
Old August 22nd 2011, 07:06

Is it from an early 912 or the 912E (one yr only, using a version of the 915 box).

The early 912 will have a "901" type box but the ratios may be different. To check the spec you need the code underneeth the bellhousing (on the rib). It will be something like 902/01 and it is pretty much the same as the early 911 box (pre-1970-ish).

Values? They don't seem to be worth that much...... until you try to buy one. Same with the 914 box (very similar). The problem is the parts inside are extremely expensive to replace so a rebuilt box (with evidence) can be very expensive but unknown (usually needing a rebuild, unless you are very lucky) boxes shouldn't be anything like as much.
Old August 22nd 2011, 22:51

More info

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am in hopes of trying to find out, will the linkage work from a beetle. The 915 I have one, its missing the clutch fork and related pieces. I don't like the way other members have had to mod their install. And the slave cylinder just looks like it will lead at the drop of a hat. I believe I read somewhere that there is a push type and a pull type 901. I will need the pull type. Any info on the linkage?
Old August 23rd 2011, 06:58

The <1969 912 (not the 912E) used the 901 style box. This was amended (in the carrera) at the start of the '70s to use a pull-clutch (gearbox is known as a "911") and then this was replaced by the stronger 915 after a couple of years.

So, any <1969 912 should have the push-to-release clutch (same as bug), operated by an arm that exits on the lower left side of the bellhousing (which is pulled towards the front of the car by the clutch pedal cable). This can be operated by the bug clutch cable with some work.

The gear linkage is a custom fit job. You can either replace the shifter and whole linkage with the 911 parts (needs tunnel fabrication to mount, cut-shut the shift rod, etc). Or you can still use a stock bug style shifter and rod but it will still need some work to set up properly (extend and bend or add a couple of UJs / supports). Plenty of info on the web about the linkage set up.

some useful info:

http://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10575

and even better (useful gearbox id photos etc).

http://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9153

Last edited by Bruce.; August 23rd 2011 at 07:05.
Old August 23rd 2011, 22:33

`

Hi, thank you very much. I need to just start
Old August 24th 2011, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Hi, thank you very much. I need to just start
There is also mention of the first gear being weak, is there a fix for the first gear weakness?
Old August 25th 2011, 05:08

The issue with the 1st gear is it sits on the end of the gearbox shaft, not between the two main bearings. So if you try to use a 901 box for drag racing, the first gear, being only supported on one side will not last long.

This problem was fixed on the 915. I think they swapped the position of the 5th gear and 1st gear.

For normal road use, up to around 200ftlbs of torque, I don't see this as a big problem.

A bigger issue with some of the 901 boxes, was the diff support. On later 901 boxes, they simplified the parts inside the diff and with wear, parts of the diff can suddenly drop. (!). However, it is not difficult to prevent.
If you remove the bolt from the centre of ONE output flange (do not remove both at the same time!!!), it may be a straight forward bolt or it may have a small nipple on the end. A box which uses nipple bolts has the weak diff. The nipple supports part of the dif and wears away over time, so the bolts need checked regularly and replaced when required. The diff can also be back-dated to remove the weak parts (bits from a 914 box work perfectly).
Old August 25th 2011, 05:28

A picture of the problem bolts.

Old August 25th 2011, 19:21

Thanks again
Old August 28th 2011, 01:47

911/01 transmission

I have a 911/01 transmission that I am thinking of selling.
They made them in 71-72 before they came out with the 915.
The R & P is a little beefier to try to resolve the problem with the 1st gear.
Let me know.

Randy
Old August 28th 2011, 17:13

Thanks Anyway

Hi Randy, thanks but I have one coming. I don't know the year, but it coming. Its not for quarter miles bur a freeway flyer.