GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 5th 2003, 16:49

Question Type 4 Questions

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH THESE FEW QUESTIONS.
MY T4 HAS HYDRAULIC TAPPETS FITTED AS STANDARD CAN THESE BE CHANGED FOR SOLID LIFTERS WHEN I REBUILD WITH A LUMPPIER STICK.

WHAT CAM WHEEL/GEAR SHOULD I USE WHEN I REBUILD IT.

CAN I FIT DOUBLE THRUST BEARINGS ON THE CAM SHAFT LIKE YOU CAN ON A TYPE ONE CASE.

HAS THE TYPE 4 CASE HAVE TWO OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVES LIKE A LATE TYPE 1 OR JUST ONE SINGLE VALVE.

Old January 5th 2003, 18:38

hello.
solid tappets are a drop in with the correct push rods and many advise the change to solid .

with much reserch you will find web cams and lifters the prefered choice by most.

of course you can double thrust the camshaft two ways only to do thiat buy two sets of bearings or go to vw with a part number of the thrust bearing only. you wont find them listed as a kit anywhere as far as i know.

buy a new cam wheel or have the old one of the stock cam spot faced around the rivet holes so bolt heads dont sit proud .

if as i suspect this is a cu case you will only have 1 oil releif up by where the oil filter goes.

good luck.
Old January 6th 2003, 17:05

For cam drive gears, try the original gears first, as Neil said they will need spot faced to use with new bolt on style mounting. You want the best backlash that you can get to help eliminate unnecessary wear and noise. You want as little backlash as possible but not too tight or you will shread metal. The originals are usually the best for that specific case cam to crank distance. Aftermarket sprockets may or may not be correct for your case, always check.
ken