GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old January 10th 2006, 02:44

recessed flat dash

what if the gauges were recessed into the dash like on many late model cars. I know that most dashes now stick out into the interior of the car but that kind of look, and possibly angled for easier reading. I think it would be possible but would it be practical or useful cause I think it would look pretty cool personally.
Old February 15th 2006, 12:26

is there any salvation for those with RHD cars?

the most i know so far i that the guys at Glass-Action are willing to modify thier classic dash into RHD.... but i really like the dash from hoffman
Old February 16th 2006, 20:51

Do you mean: Why don't you "french " your gauges into your dash?

By that i mean of buckets of decreasing diameter (min is the gauge diameter) from the face of the standard dash towards the front...

or like a new car's dash?

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old February 24th 2006, 15:53

Not "frenching" in each gauge(s) into the dash I mean either using a gauge cluster from a moden car, like the new model porches, or a sube or something like that, or making a cluster out of after market gauges and recessing them to look like a set of gauges on a moden car. and then using the gauge cluster just as it would look in the original car. this way with the aguges farther back it would be easier to see mor gauges at once.

eric
Old February 25th 2006, 05:15

Baja Wes has just finished his dashboard with a modern cluster fitted behind a flat dash. He has pics on the aussieveedubber conversion forum
Rich
Old March 27th 2006, 21:25

I have a sandblasted 911 gauge panel that I was going to put into my Ghia. It comes with all the gauges. I can email a pic if someone is interested. Make an offer.
Old April 21st 2006, 14:04

I've changed direction with this whole dash thing. Instead of trying to make the steel 911 section fit. I've made a fiberglass mold of it (just the area where the gauges fit) and will fit that to my dash. The removal bezel I'm making out of carbon fiber (which is the next part of the project). The gauge section will be removable (not bonded to the dash....just bolted from the inside) so I can work on fitting it with the steering wheel and clearance for my hands. If anyone has gone this direction I'd be interested in seeing some pics.
Old June 28th 2006, 21:09

i hate to bring up old posts... but oh well

has anyone here in the us successfully imported one of either the hoffman or csp fiberglass 911 style dashes? i know you can buy them, but from what i've read, the whole customs issue can be very costly at the least.

is there anyway to be able to get one of these style dashes here? unless there are other options (besides the glass action one) to work in a 1303?

thanks! Brian
Old June 28th 2006, 21:17

Well its not perfect....but....I'm in the process of making my own from scratch. So far I've gotten it from door to door (this is an old pic....from about a week ago). Now I've got to figure out the bottom area of the dash and create the forms for it. The goal is to make one....then create a form of it so I can make a finished unit (out of fiberglass....with a few CF highlights). Once the CF supply catches up with demand or I find a big enough sheet of CF on ebay I'll make another completely out of CF.

Here is the link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=285367
Old July 18th 2006, 12:44

Liking that a lot.

I'd love to do something similar for my '69 RHD bug.
Old July 18th 2006, 14:23

Its not that hard to do....once you have an idea of what you want it to look like. I've never used fiberglass in my life. But after purchasing a very ill fitting 911 shroud I ended up learning as I've gone. And while I've had a few setbacks here and there.....its been a fun experience. Anyways, here is a pic of the dash as it was 2 weeks ago (I'm working on the cover panel that will fit below the steering column).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=289070

Once the general shape is complete I'll go back over it and make some adjustments here and there before I create a mold of it. Once I've made the mold I'll make 3 of them. The 1st one will be used to figure out reinforcement points as well as the glove box. The second one will be a finished unit with CF accents at certain points and what isn't CF will be painted to match the body. The final one will be completely CF. I might be making a 1303 version since a friend of mine was asking if I could use his dash as the pattern and then modify it to house the 911's cluster. So, that might be another form that I have laying around till I get my own 1303.
Old July 26th 2006, 17:24

Well I was just about done. I have made a revision to the dash since I was mocking up the gauges and realized that I would have to cut a section of the dash to fit the tach and speedo. So (thanks to a mold that I took of the gauge cluster section) I have raised and pulled out the area that the gauges would fit to avoid cutting the dash and will lower the steering column a 1/2" to make everything fit. So, I'm redo'ing a few parts because of the change. Will have a few pics up....so if you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to let me know.
Old January 21st 2007, 20:02

911 dash in 1302

csp has a couple dashes like this