GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old June 6th 2013, 17:46

ya i know ms is only as good as what everything else is that supports it. once i get caught up on bills after my trip to vegas and what not, i plan on re doing the fuel system. new fuel pump, new/better FPR. aeromotive is definitely a brand ill probably be buying.

as far as the seats go im kinda embarrassed to say, their just some cheap ebay seats aswell. just a cheap china no name brand that looked cool so i got them.

as far as the springs go i know a little softer would help. but i do plan on a lot of track sessions with this car. what would you recommend Humble? just use like what you got on your street car? or split the difference of a track setup/ street setup?
Old June 7th 2013, 18:21

project re-build

Diggin that green n wheel combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookvw View Post
sorry everyone thats been watching this build thread of mine. as of before this past weekend ive just been crazy busy with building this car, trying to get it done for a show (WUSTE Vegas) that ive wanted to take it to. well my hard work paid off. its now 90% done. heres some of the pics leading up to the finished product. im VERY happy with the out come. altho i didnt win anything this year, over this next year im hoping to get the car really dialed in and getting to make it back next year hoping to maybe place. well heres the pics everyone. im hoping you all love it as much as i do. on the the pics.

heres me loaded and ready for the big WUSTE vegas euro show.

and lastly, pics from the show.

i feel i built quite a proper german look and i added a few tweeks of my own to make it fit more to todays standards. again...im super happy with it.
Old June 7th 2013, 18:24

As much as I love the race car, it's just too stiff to cruise on the street and it could be a little more stiff for track duty. I'm on the hunt for a GT3 equivalent 1302/1303 setup that is a little on the stiff side but still compliant enough to be comfortable around town or on longer highway trips.

I'd start with 250# front and 550# rear with the suspension height you have currently, maybe even bring the front up a touch so you have some more room for compression. I'm dialing in the new street bug and I am really happy with the adjustable koni inserts and 10" 250# spring combo in the front. A 550# rear would be just about right for a street weight car, coupled with an adjustable shock to properly damp it. I haven't installed that particular rear setup on the street bug yet but that's what I'm planning. Early tests through the mountains with the 944 rear setup are very promising even on sh*t tires, so I think I'm on the right track.
Old June 7th 2013, 20:48

sweet. sounds good humble. i take all your suspension advice to heart. you know whats good and whats not. when i get some funds going, ill surly get my new springs ordered up and install them. whats your thoughts on a rear sway bar on a street car? sorry humble, i love to pick your brain on suspention stuff.

so im thinking of getting some decals made up of the stripes that ran along the bottom of the doors FV formula vee. ive kinda built my car as tho if vw did build it. im just trying to think what vw would have called a super that came factory with a wbx turbo....lol. its kinda fun to ponder over i think.
Old June 7th 2013, 20:49

@grahm thanks man. i like how it all works together.
Old June 7th 2013, 23:03

No problem, the more folks we can get dialing in the perfect setup the better! As for sways, I think the 7/8" front is a staple and I haven't seen anything bigger that's easily available. I run a 19mm on the rear of the race bug and it rotates very nicely. Any bigger and I'd worry about it getting too tail happy.

As far as the stripe, I'd do the formula vee stripes (which will really tie the look of the car together with the bumpers) but just write "turbo" in that formula vee font by the rear fender. Kinda subtle, but kinda not.
Old June 8th 2013, 00:35

Hi

If your thinking of stripes, what about the sports bug stripe? Or if you go with Humbles suggestion have WBX turbo written in the F Vee font

Looking at you car makes me wish I had stuck with the WBX motor.

Steve
Old June 8th 2013, 09:56

Man, you can set your watch by how good the tire/fender clearance turned out. Really looks great. I wish more cars would do that, really rounds out the look of the car.
Old June 8th 2013, 12:21

@humble ya thanks man. i agree. these cars with the right setup are just bad ass to drive. when i had my white car, i went on a local cruise and i was following an R32 thru some twisties, and all i had at the time was coilovers in the front, stock sway in the front, and lowered in the back with my wbx all motor. he could no shake me thru the corners. it put a huge smile on my face knwing their was tons of room for improvement. i just cant wait to get this car out on the track and really get to play with it.

everyone else.... thanks again for all the support and likes. again im very happy with the car. i thru everything i had at this car...money, time, the loss of a girlfriend over this project cause she couldnt deal with the time dedication, and all my skills ive managed to gather over my years of working on vws/ painting all went into the car. to sum it up...this car represents ME and what i can do.

@steve c ya im happy i did it. and with a super 1302/1303 its so easy. people always ask...wow how hard was it, i tell them, honestly the fabing of the coolant lines was the hardest part. and even that it only took me 2 days of solid work and it was mostly done. this goes for anyone that wants to do a wbx (wasserboxer) motor in the future, im an open book. no secrets here. ill share just how i did it, and if needed ill even send templates of that i have that works. i simply have fallen in love these motors. i love that a ton of parts just bolt onto the wbx off a type1 motor. my exahust it a type1 cb performance header. you can fit just about any type1 header with simply turning cyl 1 and 4 exhaust flanges and re welding. i did the type4 motor and it honestly was a nightmare of fabrication. EVERYTHING i touched on the motor i felt i had to fab up tp make it fit better or what not. i didnt have the money to afford a $500 + exahust for the type4 i had so i fabbed one up, had to fab up the generator mount, oil filler, the list goes on,and for the power output, i was really unsatisfied. so one night i started looking on shoptalkforums (my other home other than here..lol) in the wasserboxer section, and literally in about 4-5 hrs of research, i had convinced myself that the wbx was what i needed. since i had already done the type4 motor into a type1 trans, i already had the flywheel i needed. so it really was a no brainer. i have 2 2.1 wbx motors now. the other one thats not in my car is a builder. ive never built a motor from the ground up, so thats the plans for my other wbx, and of course do some upgrades along the way aswell. the wbx even in a all motor set up is still very fun to drive. it drives like a new car. i could pull up any hill it seemed in 4th gear going 70-75 with pedal left to go. i would suggest a wbx a thousand times over before a type4. the type4 IMO is hyped up too much and are nothing but big money in the end when compared to a wbx or a type1 motor. now i know their are big hp type4 out their but their all over the big pond where the good parts are way more readily available.
Old December 4th 2013, 19:20

i thought it would be time for a little update since im over due for about 5 months. first things first, i FINALLY got this monster running. id say my tune that im running on right now is about 60% of where it needs to be, but i need more time to learn the ignition side of things before i go any further.

driving the car has just been great. it stops really well with the 4pot calipers i did from a volvo. its got TONS of TQ and power. right now boost is set at only 8lbs psi and it really moves. with a better tune i wanna try 10 lbs of boost, but i honestly am good with 8lbs for a while. with that said, i knew the tranny was the weak link considering its a bone stock tranny. so i knew that i needed to drive it with some common since. but, its apparent that even that wasnt enough. about 2 weeks of me driving it, with no burnouts, no hard shifting, but a lot of good power pulls, 2nd gear is making a whine like its a dog box out of a rally car, and ive spun 3rd and 4th gears on the main shaft. but im not worried. ive called R/C trans outta Vegas and they can build me a tranny for a really good price. so come tax season i plan on getting a new trans.

the rear coilovers i bought ended up being too long when the shock is fully compressed. its my mistake. but ive found some that will work and im hoping to get then changed out soon so i can get the rear of the car where i want it to sit.

also i had major issues with my sunroof and ended up really messing up the sunroof cables, mainly the plastic pieces of the backs of the cables broke off. so i remember hearing that the mk1 vw rabbits have the same sunroof cables, so i found one in a junk yard and i grabbed the whole assembly, and i can attest that they DO in fact are the very same and work awesome. my sunroof now works like a charm.

future upgrades for over the winter are to get the interior put in, install a heater of some sort, looking to get a new set of wheels, trans upgrade, shorter rear shocks, front airdam, bigger master cylinder for the brakes, rear disk brakes, bigger front sway-bar, rear sway-bar, get a really good solid tune on the motor , lastly, drive the crap outta it, and lots of track days/ canyon/ mountain drives.

well as always we all wanna see the pics.

heres some photo shoots that ive had friends take of the car while i was driving around in grand junction. i trailerd the car up to junction and i drove it around town for a few weeks. im planning on relocating up to junction in a few months. so theirs a pic of my cool jeep comanche pulling my bug. the jeep in it self is also another whole project soon to start as well. lol.

while in junction i stopped by KCW (Kustom Coach Werks) my old job back in the day. im sure most of you know who they are. but i stopped by to say hi to long time friend Franz, and he wanted a ride in it, so i gave him one. he was smiling ear to ear when he got out. John Jones (owner/ friend) as well came out from the shop and took a look at it and was quite impressed, and commented on how my use of other parts from other cars to make a cool car and keep it all looking like it all belonged their. so that was great to hear. its a good pic to show cause sitting in front of my car is a stock super beetle vert. you can really see the difference from my car vs a stock super beetle. the dulley is a recent purchase of John's. it lays body on 21 1/2" semi wheels. its quite rad to see it lay out on the bags.

Last edited by cookvw; December 4th 2013 at 19:27.
Old December 6th 2013, 03:07

project re-build

Stance is spot on,great looking bug mate.
Old December 6th 2013, 10:13

Yes, great looking bug!! The last picture in the evening with the city in the background is excellent!