GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 20th 2014, 14:20

Cool bug!
Old February 21st 2014, 00:12

I'm excited about this.
Old February 21st 2014, 01:54

Hi, what's a good daily driver compression ratio. I've read no more than 8, but I read were you set yours at 9. How much of a daily driver is yours? What about getting stuck in traffic.
Old February 21st 2014, 15:20

The old motor that used to live in this bug was at 9.6:1 and did great in traffic. I had an external oil cooler with a thermostatic fan switch and I never had an issue with oil temps. You do need to pay attention to your cooling setup, super b welded fan, good sealing tin, and proper airflow do wonders to keep things cool IF they are setup correctly. The race motor is getting reworked for 9.3:1 CR which will live on premium so I can get more aggressive with timing. I wouldn't call this motor "daily friendly" since it likes to rev and has a big cam, but it could certainly be driven daily without issue. I'll try and get a full build detail with the next update.
Old February 21st 2014, 16:10

Hi,I have a 2110 that I plan to turbo. I also have a 2332 that I would be interested in maybe 89 octane. If thou don't mind sharing specs, wonderful.
Old February 23rd 2014, 23:03

I was hoping to have the motor in the car this weekend but delayed parts prevented that. The new motor is all set though with a few finishing touches...

Rebuilding the motor didn't take very long... because I forgot to take pics :P With the heads and barrels off wear was minimal. There was minor evidence the heads had lifted at one point, 31psi will probably do that. Other than that, rockers looked good, no excessive wear on the lash caps, push rods were still round, and so too were the barrels. Before tearing everything down though I measured the lift at each valve and compared it to my build notes. The results were .002"-.003" of wear across the board, not too shabby.

I started putting some new parts on, which was in an earlier pic, a new ultra wide glide sump to replace the thin line sump, and a fancy jaycee o-ringed drain plate.

The front of the case got a new 30mm oil pump with full flow cover, new stock size billet sand seal pulley with new seal, and AN -8 fittings for oil feed and return.

This is what .015" deck looks like

Something I said I would do when I had the motor apart was to grind the corners down on the fuel rails so the injectors would sit off to the side. That way the don't get pinched between the manifolds and the shroud. I also swapped out the 750cc injectors for 375cc units, no need for big fuel without a turbo.

Here's the motor back together and ready to go. Manifolds and TBs are just set in place since they need to come off before the motor goes in the car.

Final build specs on the motor:
2176cc, 9:1 CR

CB 1157 Alu race case, +3.5mm deck, german pickup tube
CB 2668 Super Race Crank, 78.4mm, chevy journal
CB 2666 Super Race Rods, chevy rod journal, 5.7"
Mahle Forged 94mm pistons, with coated skirts, 94mm stroker (extended) barrels
Coated main bearings, and Clevite rod bearings, anti friction coated
Cima/Mahle 94mm rings, Total seal 2nd ring
CB 1223 Cylinder Head Studs, 10mm Chromoly
Eagle Racing K-8 cam, Adv. Duration 308*, Dur. @ .050" 256*, Lift w/ 1.3 rockers .491"
CB 1849 Camshaft Bearings, anti friction Coated
CB 1537 28mm Ultralight Lifters
CB 1399 Straight Cut Cam Gears
CB 1421 044 CNC Mini Wedge Port (42 x 37.5) 94 Bore, K800 springs, chromoly retainers, 65cc, .015" deck
CB 1575 Forged 1.3:1 Rocker Arms
CB 1629 Chromoly Dual Tapered Push Rods
CB 1515 Push Rod Tubes, JayCee Silver Bullet
CB 1702d Valve Covers - C Channel
CB 7366 Big Beef Manifolds with Fuel Injector Ports, IDF, port matched to mini wedge
CB 7356 48mm Throttle Bodies
Precision Injection 36# (375cc) injectors
CB 2017 Black 7'' Billet Crankshaft Pulley with Steel Hub for Sand Seal
CB 2050 Stainless Steel Broached Crank Pulley Bolt
CB 1862 Maxi 30 Full Flow Oil Pump with Black Anodized Billet Cover,3/8'' outlet
CB 1706 4 Qt. Ultra Wide Glide Sump
CB 3200 JayCee Mag-X Magnetic Sump Plate, Black
DTM Type 1 cooling shroud
Compu-Fire Dual Cool 90 Amp Alternator
CB 2182 200 MPH Alternator/Generator Clamp
Killer B welded late model fan
Type 4 oil cooler
Old February 24th 2014, 04:18

:whistles: Can you please install that right into my 1303?
Old March 12th 2014, 01:14

Weather and time finally lined up and I was able to work on the GSR a bit today. Even thought he's in pretty good shape I want him to look sharp all around. To that end I started the tear down today, so he can go off to body and paint later this week.

Interior was the first to come out and that gave me a chance to catch a few things, good and bad. The seats were all re-upholstered which I knew but the sliders and pads were all replaced as well which is nice. The vapor barrier on the passenger door was toast and as a result the new door panel had some minor water damage and mold, but the drivers side was fine. The rear interior quarter panels might be original or very old, but still in great shape. The carpet is in pretty sorry shape and will probably be replaced, but the plastics/handles are mostly new.

Bumpers and exterior trim were next. The bumpers were freshly powder coated and they are in great shape. The fenders I think are original, and the hardware has never been out. On the drivers rear fender one of the bolts snapped in half and another had the captive square nut spin loose so both of those will need to be fixed :P

That's it for now, hopefully some more progress tomorrow...
Old March 24th 2014, 18:32

Quick update:

The bug has been almost entirely stripped down and sent off for body and paint. I wish I had the time (and experience) to do it myself but I have 3 projects on my plate at the moment. On the plus side the body shop will be documenting everything and I'll put some of the photos up when I pickup the bug for final assembly.

Current eta is 2nd week of april...
Old March 29th 2014, 13:42

Hi,

Hope you can share the name of the shop doing the paint/body, and the results you are getting?

Having lived in Santa Cruz for a long time now,
Am really anxious to get current feed-back on some of the local shops.

My other car will be going in somewhere hopefully soon, but my past/current experiences fill me with dread.

PM me?
Old June 3rd 2014, 00:52

Big update time! But first an answer and a story...

Clatter, The shop I went to is called Prosport Auto Body at Stevens Creek and Bascom Ave. in San Jose. Jewel is an awesome old car guy from the south and has done tons of VWs. He did an awesome job on my car and I've already sent a few people his way. He does have a waiting list and about a 2 month back log if you can wait.

And now a story...

I dropped the bug off at Jewel's shop at the end of march hoping to have it back in a couple weeks with the goal of having the bug fully restored and finished for Bugorama Memorial Day weekend. After 4 weeks I finally get to pick up the bug, now towards the end of April, and take it over to Bugformance, where the headliner and rubber will be installed. They sit on it for a week with a mad rush of cars that need work also trying to make Bugorama, but once they unwrap the fenders they find that 3 of them have deep scratches or chips in the paint. So I call Jewel and since he wrapped them up he takes responsibility and offered to respray them for free. Another couple weeks go by and the deadline looms large. A week until the show now, fenders are back at the shop and the whole car is on hold waiting for the headliner to be installed. It's the Wednesday before the show and I have no illusions about finishing the bug in time, but I'm looking forward to a nice holiday weekend working on the GSR.

After a stressful day at work, I drive my Excursion and race trailer down to pick up the bug, get everything paid for, go out to move the tow rig, and the Excursion wont start. I do some troubleshooting with fuses/relays and it looks like the fuel pump died right there in the parking lot. Damnit. I call for a tow truck as I watch the shop close up with the GSR still inside and wait. The first truck that comes out can't drive me home because it'll put him over 40 hours and he can't have OT. Whatever. He calls a second truck and after another 30 minute wait I finally have a way home. We put the Excursion on the flatbed, and he tells me that towing the trailer home will be $250. That's cheaper than a new trailer and I don't want to leave mine behind with the good chance it would get stolen, so he hitches it up.

We get on our way and as soon as we leave the parking lot, the dip at the parking lot entrance causes the trailer to jump off the hitch and slam into the back of the tow truck. The trailer jack is messed up, the equipment box on the tongue is smashed in, and we are blocking most of a busy road during rush hour. While the tow truck driver, Jose, scrapes my trailer off the road, my phone starts blowing up with emails about databases going down, and various failures I can do nothing but watch because my laptop bag is in the Excursion. Once we get rolling again Jose and I chat about what a ****ty day I'm having, and hopefully my luck turns around. After nearly getting wrecked twice on the way home by inattentive drivers, we finally make it to my house in the mountains and park the trailer. Were in the middle of unloading the Excursion and my asshole neighbor starts causing a scene. He races to the edge of his driveway in his car with his brights on, and revs his engine like he's got somewhere to go. We have a history with this guy so I know he's just being a dick, and he does this whenever we block the road (moving trailers) or use the easement that leads to one of his driveways (he has more than one) to turn trucks around. Jose gets flustered by the guy's actions and moves out of the way for the neighbor (who parks in front of his garage with the car idling and won't acknowledge our presence). Unfortunately, the Excursion was in neutral but still on the winch, so it didn't roll off the back of the tow truck, but instead slammed into the steel light bar folding front of the hood on the Excursion nicely. Fantastic. I can't even get mad, this bizarre series of events is just unbelievable. We unload the Excursion, roll it into the driveway and I call it a night with a bottle of La Fin Du Monde, very appropriate. The tow company will cover the damages so it's just a waste of my time to get the estimates done, but now I get to spend the holiday weekend replacing the in-tank fuel pump on the Excursion instead of the bug.

Yeah, the jack is bent and that lid doesn't close any more...

...and the Excursion needs a nose job.

btw, Jose has been a tow truck driver for over 15 years and never had an accident. He had 2 in one day... in a brand new low truck, it still had paper tags. I know they were both preventable accidents but I just feel bad for the guy getting collateral bad juju by proximity.
Old June 3rd 2014, 01:03

Day-am! That IS a sh*tty day.
Old June 3rd 2014, 12:18

That's a terrible day. I hope you get to work on the bug soon.
Old June 3rd 2014, 13:53
Administrator

That day is so bad, it's pretty comical. Sorry, I laughed.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old June 4th 2014, 01:37

Now for the good parts

I did finally get the bug home on May 27th, and after the last trip with the Excursion this time felt like an eternity. I grabbed a pic that evening after we unloaded the trailer.

That's not even in the sun and the Saturn Yellow still pops. Here's a couple more shots, fresh paint, new headliner, and some of the interior that was installed at Bugformance.

I've been chipping away at all the (seemingly) little jobs, but they take longer when you're cautious around fresh paint and new carpet. Paint the things that need paint, and glue the things that need glue, but nothing else!

New door panels w/o map pockets. Notice the nice refreshed black detail on the door sill, also all the rubber on the bug is new.

Rear quarter panels, grab handles, battery are in and the sub just chillin in the rear luggage tray.

Simple things like new sun visors make me happy, but it forces me to up my game. Cant have old and busted clips, or chipped/scratched trim pieces when everything else is so mint. I keep making trips to get new fiddly bits just so I know its right.

Here's a "before" shot of the engine bay. I had cleaned and degreased it but it just looked okay. Not good enough. I debated getting new tar board like the factory but there's still ugliness behind those panels. I taped everything off and very carefully sprayed new undercoating and the results are worth all the stress. Unfortunately, the car is so bright it's hard to get a good shot of the dark engine bay. BTW, I used 3m high build undercoat, great stuff, one can for the engine bay.