GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old January 5th 2013, 11:55

project re-build

we here goes another build thread of the RE-build of my new german look bug that got totaled 2 months ago. i also posting it in the euro look forum cause theirs never any action in here and this build fits the thread well. heres the thread on my previous car/crash incident...
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=18&t=141389

so with all that said in the previous thread of the car getting wrecked, now is the time that i show you all what i bought.

i drove up to denver and found a 75 super beetle thats originally a viper green beetle LaGrande edition. i found out that all 75 hard top supers where LeGrande editions. it just had a respray of the factory color viper green, and was "claimed to be rust free.....!" so i went up to denver and bought it with really not looking at it too close, but at the time i didnt care cause it was a 75 and thats what i wanted. heres the pics of it on the trailer ready for the drive home. the car is complete, but was undrivable cause the previous owner didnt put in any of the windows yet. so it had to be trailed home.

after close inspection of the car once i got it home, it proved to not be so "rust free" so again...let the work begin. ive had the car now for 2 weeks. im making good progress i think. hoping to have it ready for paint by monday, but ill see how that pans out. either way i want it painted by the end of this week providing we dont get too busy at work. heres all the pics of the RUST on this rust free car..lol

the guy decided to shave all the trime holes with body filler, so i had to chase all them down and weld them all up...

heater channel had some rust as well...

all my repair panels that i could buy came in the mail yesterday. since you cant buy bumper brackets for the 5mph impact shock type...im converting it to the older style and i hat to get a new front apron as well cause i need one with the ac vents since i run a waterboxer motor and my radiator up front.

i also had to do a lot of rust repair in the engine bay. so i decided to go for a shaved engine bay and im gonna try and hide all the wiring. so we will see. i also got rid of all the panels for the rubber seal for the aircooled motor since i dont need them and getting rid of them gives me more room in the engine bay area.

i realize that i made the passenger side panel a little off and ill be fixing it today as well.

well thats my progress so far. i also got my turbo flanges made and ill try and shoot for it to be turbo'd by summer as well. ill do my best to keep this thread updated. im gonna stretch my skills on this build and see just how nice of a car i can make it be as a germanlook. my overall goal for this car is to keep it clean and simple with the modifications. i want a awesome driver. one that i can go anywhere in and not have a worry. let the build begin.
Old January 5th 2013, 16:38

very cool, sunroof and R&P. I bet it will be a very nice GL.
Old January 6th 2013, 12:24

thanks. its a bit more rusty than i had hoped for, but oh well. later in my life when i have a garage and more time and space to blow the car fully apart, i can see me finding more rust. but for now it will have to do. it will still be nice in the end. today im gonna get started on the front with getting the front apron installed, and front bumper mounts.
Old January 6th 2013, 16:01

I read your post on STF, that sucks about your car getting hit. Maybe I missed it but what happened with the insurance company and your first car? Were you able to buy it back?
Old January 6th 2013, 19:41

Hi

Good find, shame about the rust. We never had steel sun roof cars down here, I'm very envious.

Viper green metallic was on my short list of colours for my bug.

Steve
Old January 6th 2013, 22:18

@woodendad
The insurance company that the guy hit me had state farm insurance. The body shop that I work at is a preferred state farm repair shop. So I was kinda worked out in my favor.
Long story short...with me buying my car back, state farm cut me a check for $3795.00. And I was happy with that cause that gave me enought to get another super tuat I can take all my goodies off my totalled car and put it all on a new one.

@steve c
Ya the viper green color I want very crazy about at first, but it surly has grown on me. Im really pushing to get tue main body in paint this week! I wanna start putting this car togather!!!
Old January 7th 2013, 20:08

Hi

I remember seeing a Viper Green Metalic 1302 on a Kafer Cup racer, loved it from then on.

Does anybody offer classic car insurance in the US. I have both my Beetles with a company called Shannons.

The white bug is insured for $12,000 and the orange bug is insured for $25,000, neither amount would cover what I have spent on them but as part of the deal is getting the wreck back something can be made of what's left over.

Steve
Old January 8th 2013, 11:19

they do have classic car insurance here in the states as well. i plan on getting that for this car for sure. also ill be posting update pics tonight of my progress over the last 2 days.
Old January 9th 2013, 01:09

well heres my progress. i found rust in the passenger strut tower in the inner fender. really i want to some day in the future fix it right by just getting a whole new quarter, but i cant really afford a new one, so ill have to just do a "so so" repair for now. it turned out ok. ill just get on with the photos. its all self explanatory...lol

i got a question for every one. whats all your opinion: should paint all my bumpers, door handles, hood handles ect.... flat black, or color match everything?
Old January 9th 2013, 01:11

oh i almost forgot the best shot..... i got my paint in today...yay.
Old January 9th 2013, 17:16

CookVW

Inspiring, good job.

Was wondering what are you using for welder?

Flux core, or what gas combo for sheet metal being used..

I plan on getting restarted on my effort in summer.. I have a Miller 100 something or other that I got from HD. Came as standard 120V 15A (system) w/ flux core but also have the gas conversion.. New in box, and hopefully will break it out..

Thanks
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 9th 2013, 22:38

actually i did about 90% of the welding with a 220v snap-on welder with using gas (its the shop welder that we have at the bodyshop that i work at). i ran out of gas so i had to switch to my little 110v century welder using fluxcore. fluxcore is ok to use. if your new at welding sheet metal i would not recommend fluxcore cause it seems to take more heat to get a good weld. thats just my personal experience with it. a old welder trick to save on buying the 75/25 mix welding gas is to use just strait O2 for welding gas. and now thats all i use for my personal stuff. its like half the cost of the mixed welding gas. but its up to you.

if you need any help putting in panels, let me know and ill help any way that i can. btw i love your 5 speed conv. kits you have. one day i would love to have one of your kits in my car. my car with the WBX motor in it now, the stock 3:88 r&p tranny just isnt nearly enough gearing for this new motor. of corse i have a lot smaller dia. tires now than the stock 165's. but im looking at a freeway flyer tranny here soon.

best of luck to ya on your panel repair....no matter what, take your time with tacking in new sheet metal. too much heat and it will warp and you just made a whole lot more body work for your self. just my .02
Old January 10th 2013, 15:20

Thanks for the reply...

I was more proficient with straight arc welding when I was getting my Merchant Marine Liscense many moons ago.. I don't have too much time on a mig but will follow urs and other advice..

Thanks for the kind words on my partner Martin's Kits..

Take care
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 13th 2013, 12:44

well ive surly been busy the last 2 days. but its shiney again. time for me to start work on my fenders. i got to widen them...but im gonna attempt to widen them from the outside. i also figured while i was in their...why not just smooth the engine bay...so it did that too. planning on hiding and tucking all the wires as well when the motor goes in. well on with the pics...

Old January 20th 2013, 03:23

quick update....
ive tried to widen my own fenders, but that has not worked how i had thought, so instead, im just gonna order some flared fenders from fiberglass specialties. save weight, lot less work, and i think ill be able to pull them off quite well.

well since ive decited to get 4 new fiberglas fenders, im waiting on my tax money to come in so i can afford the fenders. so that leaves me with a lot of other things that can now get done. tonight i swapped over my front suspension from my 73 sb to my 75 sb. i was gonna not run these wheels, but the all black really ties in well with the green. heres all the pics...