GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old October 1st 2008, 10:02

HID lights? / LED tail lights

I'd love to find an HID conversion for a '65 Ghia. I believe the guys at Airkewld have something although I'm not certain the manufacturer... whether it's a quality set-up or not. Anyone have thoughts on who may have or if there exists an HID set-up for another car that would fit with a little massaging? I've seen Porsche lights as well as Mini lights grafted in but they are getting a bit too far away from the original flavor I'm trying to maintain. While I've got this post open... can LED lights be substituted for the stock tail lights/blinkers? If so, where do I source LEDs? Thanks in advance.

Russ
Old October 1st 2008, 11:39

There are loads of different aftermarket H4 type kits for HIDs, ebay will throw several up. I went for retro swaps from production cars for my last couple of cars but wiht the low prices of the aftermarket kits I think I will go that way next time. You can also easily buy LED clusters with bulb bases making them a straight swap in, not in US but I use www.ultraleds.co.uk
Rich
Old October 1st 2008, 14:54

or superbrightleds.com
Old October 1st 2008, 19:25

Hi

Phillips make a H4 base high & low beam HID bulb that will fit into any H4 reflector. They actually mechanically move a shade on the bulb to give both beams.

Steve
Old October 14th 2008, 17:29

I am also interested in Airkewld's HID kit. Are there any users of this kit that attest to the quality/practicality?

Are HID kits typically just low beam only? I will look into the phillips bulb.

Phillips lighting: http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_e...=0&id=&lang=en

Doesn't give you many details though.
Old June 20th 2009, 20:01
vwdevotee

I don't want to sound like a hater, but please for the love of God don't use the crappy HID conversion kits. The reflectors were designed specifically for the light output pattern of a filament, not an arc. Using the conversion kits throws lots of light places it was never intended to go and will dazzle other drivers. If you want good HID's look for ones that were designed from the outset to be HID, one that comes to mind is the Valeo Sylvania Xe7 and Xe7R (there used to be the XenArc also, but I think they stopped making that one). The Xe7 is a projector style designed to fit into original 7 inch round holes, and the Xe7R is a reflector style that would look pretty stock. The only downside is that you'll have to modify the retaining cage and the bucket to fit, and they cost $890 for the pair.
Old June 22nd 2009, 04:59

Conversely, there are standard HID installations that are IMO quite deadly to the driver. The BMW ones that I have driven spring to mind. The main beam is fantastic but as soon as you go onto dip the cut off (presumably to prevent the high intensity light dazzling oncoming drivers) is so sharp that you go from a wonderful field of vision to a small pool of light that stops 25m in front of the car with pitch blackness beyond. On unlit twisty roads that can be quite deadly since you go from seeing everthing to seeing nothing when you dip for an oncomiming car just as you go into a bend. IMO the dip beam needs a 'bleed' of light around the periphery to retain vision. We all had the problem when we went from tungsten 45/40W to halogen 60/55W and there were similar complaints about brightness. I would hope that we all get used to HIDs with a little bleed as they can be useful. Besides, its kinda futile having sharp cut off when you have a heavily loaded car or one that is approaching over a bumpy road.

Clive
Old June 22nd 2009, 11:39
vwdevotee

Hmm... I've never noticed that the light pool is so small. When I've driven HID cars the low beam pool is still pretty substantial. I don't really see the problem with a loaded car or on bumpy roads since most factory installations have self leveling mechanisms.
Old June 23rd 2009, 05:31

I must admit the BMW light pattern is particularly abrupt on dip beam. Obviously, when travelling on main beam your focus is generally at the focus of the beam i.e. 50+ yards (50m) down the road then when you switch to dip the focus necessarily changes to about 10-15 yards (10-15m). with normal tungsten or halogen lamps there is enough bleed out beyond the focus distance for you to be aware of objects at least. that does not happen with BMW lights, the cut off is so sharp that its either daylight or pitch black. The intensity of the dip beam is such that the even if there were an ambient backlight the eye would not be able to react acceptably to it. The effect of this intensly controlled focus on dip beam is that at the speeds being travelled say 50, 60 70mph........ on country roads is for the driving control to need to be highly reactive with liitle time to assess the condition and react smoothly. If you want to observe the effect ride a bicycle along the road focusing on a point about 50 yds ahead and then ride it looking at the front wheel - you will end up wobbling all over the place.
The self levelling mechanisms on most cars here in Europe consist of a manual adjustment on the dashboard. Most drivers never use it, they either ignore it, don't know how/where to use it or are unaware of it (my wife being a prime example of the breed). It is only the very expensive cars that have totally automatic headlamp levelling and even they can't cope with the basic bumpy country roads around here. As for the big European wagons with HID......................................
Old June 25th 2009, 05:20

ive switched out every bulb in my bug for LEDs except obviously the main headlights and i didnt worrry bout charge and oil as theres alot of extra work involved in that but all the others are LED now

main reason i did it was the coloured bulbs totally ruined the effect of my clear indicator and elephants feet lenses but my electrical system is working 100x better now without the load of normal bulbs

eventually ill put a HID kit in

Old June 25th 2009, 08:28

What did you do about the flasher relay? did you swap to an led relay or add resistors?

Clive
Old June 25th 2009, 19:26

the shop i got all the bulbs from also sold the LED flasher relays

cost me $90AU all up
took him a week to get the little BA7s bulbs for the speedo tho
not a real common bulb as nearly all other cars use t5 wedge bulbs
Old June 25th 2009, 19:56

Hi Joel

Do your speedo bulbs dim on the light switch?

VW recently lent me an R36 Passat with HIDs for the weekend, I drove in the country at night in some pretty filthily weather, I have nothing but praise for these lights (and the rest of the car) in all conditions.

On my daily 1303 I fitted 4 100w Cibie Super Oscars for a country drive, it was really noticeably dark when I had to dip the beams for oncoming traffic etc, I find its just a matter of memorizing the road until your eyes adjust.

Steve
Old June 25th 2009, 19:58

Just remembered I had a photo with the Cibies on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad & Dave at Valla.jpg (59.6 KB, 38 views)
Old June 26th 2009, 04:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Just remembered I had a photo with the Cibies on
I bet you had to tow an alternator and battry pack behind it!

Clive