GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old June 23rd 2008, 18:39

The pedal assembly is a Tilton 600 series. I love the floor mount setup but I may end up trading these pedals for a top mount unit. The top mount is a little more space friendly in a bug and the master cylinders are easier to deal with.

I don't have any good overall pics (because the paint is terrible) but I don't want to show it until the aero is on anyway Actually I can't wait to paint it but thats last on my list. I did find a great satin black paint to use for the hood and decklid however. I used my phone dials to experiment on and they came out much better than I anticipated.

I was working on the cage more this weekend and got the main hoop, and down bars tacked in. I started working on the head and dash bars but I ran out of daylight. If all goes well I can have the cage ready for final weld next weekend.
Old June 26th 2008, 14:47

Cool build! Can't wait to see more progress!
Old July 8th 2008, 19:15

The roll cage is finally in! I had a 5 day weekend over the 4th so I spent just about all of it finishing the cage. I added the diagonal in the main hoop and also beefed up the x-brace to 1.5" instead of the 1" that came with it. I decided to copy the x-brace for the passenger side as well for equal protection.

Me hard at work roasting in the sun

Interior shots

Now that the cage is done, the race motor and tranny can go in. I'm counting the hours now, compared to the cage everything else is cake.
Old July 8th 2008, 21:30
Administrator

Nice cage.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 8th 2008, 23:38

very Nice Work
Keep us Posted

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old July 9th 2008, 15:35

Sweetness!!!
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 14th 2008, 03:56

Weekend update, feels like i'm spinning my wheels...

Spent friday removing the fan shroud and alternator off the old motor to stick the alternator in the race motor. Tore it all down and put the welded fan on it as well as the aluminum back plate. Now that the alternator assembly was together I could properly clearance the DTM shroud... which took the rest of the day. A lot of trimming and fitting and trimming and fitting. Another project for friday was cutting new push rods since the last set was a bit short and I didn't want to pull any rocker block shims.

Saturday I pulled the old motor and tranny. Once those were out I tried fitting the 091 and adapter kit but I needed to clearance the frame horns. I ground down the inside seam so it was flush and seam welded them. I didn't want to cut into the body like I did with the last car and the adapter kit had the wrong kind of nose cone mount for a 73+ pan. While thinking about a front mount design I pulled the old gas tank out and put together the first fuel line for the motor. For peace of mind I set the front race rim (18x8.5 et50) in place to check clearance and it's fine all around.

Sunday after a little checking on the web I found the 10 degree mount for baja bugs. I don't think they are made anymore but I could make one just as easily. A couple peices of scrap angle iron and a cardboard template later I had a nose cone mount. This mount puts the shift shaft through the stock location so I can use the stock shift rod and coupler. The only thing that worries me is the tight fit for the clutch and throttle cables. For fun and to kind of wind down after 3 more days in the sun I fitted up the rear spoiler. It's an APR gt200 knock-off but it should still get the job done. It's 61 inches (155cm) across and reaches about the middle of the rear fenders. To mount it I turned the stanchions around backward and made an extension for the rear wing mounts. Its funny but it almost looks like it was supposed to be that way.

Old August 3rd 2008, 13:22

love that rims, and that is wide, very nice humble.
Old September 4th 2008, 19:03

Overdue update

I've got a lot done since my last update but the pics are in my friend's camera :P

At any rate the motor is finally in the car and we've started plumbing and wiring. Got the fuel level sender installed in the fuel tank and the fuel tank in place. Fiddled the the location of the fuel pump a bit but I think I'll leave it next to the fuel cell in the spare tire well to keep the plumbing simple. I ran out of room in the engine bay so I'll have to put the coil on the inside of the car and run a fire wall pass-through. The oil cooler mounting will be creative since the cup brace is in the way. I think I'll hang it from some aluminum flat stock I've got. I've also been fiddling with the oil filter location trying to find a spot for it that does interfere with something else. Looks like it might end up next to the passenger side rear wheel but it maight be a tight fit with race rubber. We just finished painting the cage and it looks a bit better now and started stripping the rattle-can-red paint job to find okay-ish saturn yellow underneath. Also switched tires from my fuchs to a flat blacked set of phone dials I had so I could restore the fuchs. The phone dials look great on the car and will really complete the look once the bug is repainted.

Here's a couple pics I have so far, I'll try to get more later.

Motor in and ready to rock, only a little bit of plumbing needed to make it run.

Painted cage and a dash panel I picked up at the summit store when I cruised through Reno Nevada.

Fuel cell and pump set in place. I still need to final mount them now that I know where they're going.
Old September 7th 2008, 17:15

I'm so impressed with your car, I've met spider bait at the nag meets a couple of times...
Old September 7th 2008, 23:14

nice setup humble....what motor is that? turbo sum more!!
Old September 9th 2008, 00:52

kuleinc: what were you driving at the NAG meet? At the next one you should come up and say hi

BulletBug: The motor build is here but basically it's a fuel injected 2165cc, that's been dry sumped and turboed.
Old September 15th 2008, 02:30

I didn't see your car last friday... I drive a primered 73 super beetle, with HID headlights, and my brother in law drives a skittle blue standard 72 beetle. We're having a bit of bad luck with his motor and cams going flat and eating lifters, we're on our second time around on it, and I think its flat again, he basically has the same motor as I do, except with an engle 120 instead of 110, we'll find out for sure tomorrow...

I got to the meet last friday late, I was the guy with one headlight and one taillight out....
Old September 15th 2008, 13:58

I wasn't able to make it out last friday unfortunately, I was stuck at work until 8 so I just headed home (60 hour week for me). That sucks about the motor though, is he running dual springs or HD singles?

Are you close enough to Santa Clara/Cupertino to hit the BLTN meets on thursdays at Lawrence Expy and Stevens Creek? I'm usually there every week.
Old September 15th 2008, 15:59

I'm gunna have to make a trek to one of the NAG meets, just need things to settle down around here. I have a 1 week old son now, so I'm busy being dad at the moment!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S