GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old March 15th 2004, 04:33

915 trans rear mount

Hello,
Yesterday I tried to envision how to mount the bellhousing support ('rear' transmission mount at the end of the fork), but was quite tricky:

The 915 does NOT have flat spots in the bell housing where you can fix your rubber mounts to! The bell housing is round all around and where a 901/911/T1 case has the case bolts on the inside of the bell housing, the 915 has the two bulches where the M10 bolts go through, on the outside! So there is no (easy) way to mount the rubber transmission supports to it...

Has anybody thought of something clever for this problem?

So far, the only thing I could come uo with, is to remove the steel upper part with the two bolts of the original rubber mountings and shape it into the 915 bell housing form and than strap it with a trans strap kit or s/th.

Thanks in advance,
Walter
Old March 19th 2004, 03:01

Wally,
The 2 ways I have seen it done are first to solid mount it using the 4 bolts which hold the engine and gearbox together... obviously this is great for racing but not much use for street.

The other way is to have 2 blocks of ally welded to the bellhousing. Any engineering shop should be able to do it for you without it costing the earth. Then you can use stock Dub rear mounts.

MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old March 19th 2004, 03:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ghia
Wally,

The other way is to have 2 blocks of ally welded to the bellhousing. Any engineering shop should be able to do it for you without it costing the earth. Then you can use stock Dub rear mounts.

MG
Hi Michael,
Thanks for you respons!
Unfortunately, I have a magnesium 915 casing, so welding to it is not really possible or so I understood.

Bolting s/th to the lower two original case bolts that keep tranny and engine together, does give me some ideas for then mouting a set of stock rubber vw mounts to it...Hmmm.

Thanks,
Walter
Old March 22nd 2004, 14:56

hi wally my 915 is solid mounted to the chassis from the two bolts at the bottom of the engine through a plate that bolts to the large frame horns,im sure you could modify this arrangement to use rubber mounts.The method i use is the same as a bus gearbox to beetle conversion kit as the porsche and bus box's are simular.
Old March 23rd 2004, 07:41

Thanks for the respons turbonutta.
I am now making a adapter plate to be able to use the old style rubber heavy duty original VW mounts.

The trans is already quite far in, next weekend I hope to shove it all the way home to the torsion beams and see then how far it is.

Thx,
Walter