GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old February 14th 2007, 08:14

Thanks, but my car is actually very near stock (except for the wheels and wider fenders) on the outside!
It shows just how little is needed...and also shows that a german'look' is more about under the skin than exterior 'looks'. Its more subtle IMO and has some qualities of a 'sleeper' also.

But your right also when you say that 'wheels maketh the car'
(BTW before the 18", I actually had the same wheels as Martins car, only before he did )
Old March 7th 2007, 00:09

Unlimited Cash and skills...
This is pretty much Germanlook overkill..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=386105
Old March 7th 2007, 01:17

that's thing is soo Sweet not over kill to me
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old March 7th 2007, 01:47

Nice square , but it is built for straight line racing , and not much for handling (at least thats what I got from reading the ad). GL's are more about the handling and power , not just power .
Old March 7th 2007, 13:30

I agree it isn't built for turns but I do like the fuel cell. Some day I want to get a similar contraption from those folks.
Old March 8th 2007, 04:38

I don't know why he says all that about it being built for straight line speed... I think that is just to appeal to more people, when it was built it was very much for handling, hence the double wishbone front end, big brakes etc etc, a long way from your typical 1/4 mile racer...

Rich
Old March 21st 2007, 08:32

my car is ver much like wally's. I have a completely stock body, boxster 16x6 & 16x7's under all stock fenders on a 67. it has a t1 engine (2110) with msd, and a built box. it still has full bumpers and even has empi bumper extensions, however somehow it doesn't look really funky. but back to the topic at hand, to me German Look is more or less each individuals perception of what their ideal modern, we'll say 2006 model vw would be. if they want painted or CF bumpers and trim, that's cool, no trim, or even chrome trim. great big brakes, airdams, wings, it's all about what looks good, while having FUNCTION. i've yet to see a CL that has a huge 10" tach and 22's just to have it, everything fits in it's place, and belongs there. it's all about having what you need, and not what you don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gl1.jpg (67.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg gl2.jpg (72.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg gl3.jpg (75.3 KB, 107 views)
Old March 21st 2007, 14:28

Very NICE
love the paint
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old March 22nd 2007, 16:08

yup, that's good ole zenith blue...
Old April 9th 2007, 20:52

Could this pass as a form of German Look?
If I take my 2 tone painted bug, lower the bug to a nice stance. Put some type of rim on it that everyone kind of hates, baja rims that are 15x5's and 15x6's, that stick out kind of, so when its lowerd it has that squated "I dont give a.... " look? If not what would it be considered?

I seen a black slammed baja an some type of blue beetle slammed, which gave me the idea.
Old August 21st 2007, 10:07

Lightbulb german look

I believe the german look is left alot to personality. I do believe it is about upgrades and mods, but is also down to person style. i believe my car to be german look but that is my personal opinion sum1 else could look @ it and think its jus a boy racer car. Mine is original gold dechromed with a kamei front spoiler, and wide steels not porsche or after market wheels. Although i have a engine uprade on the way mine is still standard with just a disk brake conversion and lowered 2"

To me German look is incorporating old-skool styling wit new-skool technology and upgrades.

sorry bout pictures unfortunatly haven't had chance to take some better ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bug1.jpg (38.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg bug3.jpg (44.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: png beetle5.png (48.0 KB, 69 views)
super beetle register #2
superbeetleregister@hotmail.co.uk
Old January 20th 2008, 13:04

My contribution to the GL society
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2162.JPG (81.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2163.JPG (80.6 KB, 104 views)
Old January 30th 2008, 06:50

Very nice Tumba. I like the style you are going for.

Not many German lookers in my neighbourhood, and the interpretation is more simple. I see a few with VW relatives wheels on as a start. Vanagon or VW busses, Audi TT rims on one.

I think 'function dictates the form' is the right idea. Modern twist to the old shape. I love the watercooled engine, although I run an aircooled myself. But i like the Subaru solution, even a rotary will be fine
Old February 5th 2008, 13:57

i worked in germany for a while and asked some of the lads there what they thought german look was and they said in as many words that what they were after was as much power and handling as they could get past the inspectors in something that didn't look like their dad's bug. They used porshe and other german marques because they represented the pinnacle of engineering at the time and because german parts are naturaly very available in germany. It's interesting that many younger germans don't mind using parts from other marques if the kit is better engineered (or perceived as).
Old February 5th 2008, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-dubliner View Post
i worked in germany for a while and asked some of the lads there what they thought german look was and they said in as many words that what they were after was as much power and handling as they could get past the inspectors in something that didn't look like their dad's bug. They used porshe and other german marques because they represented the pinnacle of engineering at the time and because german parts are naturaly very available in germany. It's interesting that many younger germans don't mind using parts from other marques if the kit is better engineered (or perceived as).
Good story and thats mostly how I see it as well.

I've said it before and will do so again because of your story proves it again: Its NOT about looks!! The german treatment will just render a certain subtle 'look', but thats purely secondary. Heck, most germans try to avoid too conspicious looks just to be able to pass inspection/Tüv more easily! Sleeper is more true of the early pure 'german' cars therefore. The 'understatement idea' also fits the 'style' better.

The site should have been called GermanStyle.com or s/th like that