GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old December 28th 2006, 19:39

Where did you buy yours? Id like to see more pics.
Old December 28th 2006, 20:07

I got it from my local car parts shop. These are actually made by a mexican bodykit company called Automagic, unfortunately their website is so bad that you can see they have a kit for the bug (a.k.a. sedan) but when you click on the link the page says they have none yet.
http://www.auto-magic.com.mx/product...&SubMarcaID=33

The link is in spanish, but it just says that they currently have no products in that category.
There's a very similar bodykit made by airdesign[HERE], too.

A couple pics of mi car, (they're a bit old):

What's different about this bumper covers is that unlike a bodykit that's moulded to the main body, this things keep the body-bumper gap that usually exists in a bug.
Transmission: Planning Stage
Suspension: Front: 3/4 swaybar w/UrethaneBushings, Dropped Spindles. Rear:CB Camber Compensator. Lowered 2 splines
Brakes: Front Brakes: 280mm solid rotors, two pot calipers. Rear: 280mm solid rotors, 1 pot calipers w/ebrake
Old December 28th 2006, 20:33

Looks good! Some wheels and a drop and your good to go.
Old December 28th 2006, 20:44

Thanks! BTW, I'm just waiting for my dropped spindles to arrive so i can check clearance before i choose my wheels.
Suspension: Front: 3/4 swaybar w/UrethaneBushings, Dropped Spindles. Rear:CB Camber Compensator. Lowered 2 splines
Brakes: Front Brakes: 280mm solid rotors, two pot calipers. Rear: 280mm solid rotors, 1 pot calipers w/ebrake
Old December 28th 2006, 21:13

Good deal.
Old December 29th 2006, 11:13

But ... why can't one have a Kamei spoiler and a bumper cover assuming both can be found?
Old December 29th 2006, 16:19

Well i don't see why not, appareantly both cant be mounted at the same time.
Old January 1st 2007, 14:50

My only reason for saying it was ricey is that IMO it doesn't add anything to the car, in fact, it may even be worse aerodynamically. When I see the guys with 100 extra lbs of fiberglass, bondo, and paint on their Hondas with a coffee can exhaust tip that adds nothing to the performance and makes it worse too, and the majority of those modifications are on cars that actually are 'ricers', it just a shoe fits kinda thing. I don't think it looks bad at all, and yes I'm talking about the 'Sport GT' cover, but the others, along with the Aero fenders from Aus, try to limit the amount of air that goes under the car, while that cover looks to be a similar if not worse shape for a 'dam' than the stock bug front end, and also has extra drag incorporated into it. So it wasn't a slam at all, I just feel the German Look thing tends to focus on performance enhancing modifications, and that is the name of this site. Fellow's front 'dam' is not that attractive to me either, but I bet it works really well, and his car is IMO definately German Look! I'll be bulding one with a similar theme to that, working on making it a little more attractive at the same time, just to satisfy my personal "Look" needs!
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; January 1st 2007 at 14:56.
Old January 1st 2007, 15:29

volkdent, i agree with you saying that it probably adds nothing to the bug's aerodynamics, and it does add weight. And yes, GL is all about "form follows function", and using these covers is really not about function. I'm using them mainly because i wanted foglights, (which is a function, tough not a performance enhancement). Anyway, i want to see how it looks/deflects air after i drop the car, and i've been thinking about closing the air dam holes in the covers, and probably molding it to a different shape, to be a real arodynamic enhancement. That or just putting a kamei underneath, if i ever manage to get one

On a different note, my car was crashed about six months ago, and i had the front cover replaced with one with much smaller dam vents (don't know where the insurance got it from), and the shape of the current cover is such that the air will crash with the car body and not with the cover, at the lowest part of the front midline. Interestingly, this leaves a shape that, when looked from the front, reminds the air deflecting fenders from australia.

Last edited by EvilAngel; January 1st 2007 at 15:43.
Old January 3rd 2007, 03:01

Bumpers are a grey area with German Look as far as I am concerned.

Any bumper that adds the function of safety is going to have weight. Standard bumpers by their very design stick out. Carbon fiber bumpers are strictly for show as they would explode under any meaningful impact. No one makes a carbon-kevlar hybrid.

At least the bumper cover eliminates the space between bumper and body. That should aid some in aerodynamics even if its lower profile and rounded features do not.

I have trouble believing the cover weighs 100 pounds. Being on the front, it should help the percentage of weight distribution front-to-back.
Old January 3rd 2007, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
I have trouble believing the cover weighs 100 pounds. Being on the front, it should help the percentage of weight distribution front-to-back.
Well they dont eliminate the space, but they reduce it GREATLY. And there is a rear cover too, so there may not be so effective with weight distribution, unless of course you only use one. They actually weight about 15 punds (aprox)
Old January 9th 2007, 00:33

hey since you guys are on the subject of spoilers.
can a kamei spoiler work on the stock 72 standard bug bumper?it looks pretty cool.not really a fan of that bumper cover, it looks good on your car but it would look terrible on my bug
Old January 9th 2007, 09:07

It would be cool if you could add a scoop or something to the holes in the bumper cover and run ducts to cool the brakes or even for a bit of fresh air in the car.
Old January 9th 2007, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
can a kamei spoiler work on the stock 72 standard bug bumper?
There are Kamei front spoilers available for '68-'73 standards and Supers. Just make sure when you order, you are getting the right one.

Link to US distributor

EDIT: I saw this ad during lunch. (I do not know the seller and have no connection with the ad other than its reporting).

Last edited by oasis; January 9th 2007 at 13:29.
Old January 12th 2007, 14:08

Well that's one of the cool things about GL, there's no strict set of rules. BTW I will add a kamei under the cover when the time comes, and it wont be apparent.