GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 9th 2008, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
(maybe with the waterboxer as an exception as its orginal a further developed type 1-ish design)

You don't think the Suby motor has any similarities with an aircooled? I think the Japanese just kept going with a good thing.

I really don't understand it either though, as both Volksdent and Ricola are VERY good builders and plenty creative and have invested also quite some in their cars. So why don't you guys use this to make a really respectable effort with your cars by keeping it aircooled and give it that extra ?

You might want to give Rich and I a little credit then for going watercooled. I don't know how old people are on this site, but Rich and I have been there/done that. The car I have on here I've owned since I was 15 and I'm 36 now, so once you've repaired your aircooled motor the umpteenth time after spending thousands of $, you start to scratch your head and ask yourself if there isn't a smarter option, that's all. I love aircooled, and if I could build an aircooled engine with 300hp that I could drive all day and as long as I wanted, I would have, it just doesn't happen.

OTOH, maybe enough has been said about this subject Agreed, we ARE hijacking the poor guy's thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubguy View Post
Thank you all for the info very useful...Im going to change the subject hope ya all don't mind? take a look at this vdub and its clean but im wondering why so slow or im just use to the 260 hp of my stang but it cant be i had a 72 Vdub 1600 single carb and it pulled very well and after test driving it sounds good starts very easy very clean no oil leaks but seems slow? does it seem like a good deal? please advise as its been over 10 years since i drove a vdub

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/831489592.html
Bugs ARE slow, unless you add power, thus the other hijacked part of your thread, sorry! I think you mentioned just doing drag stuff but you might want to be patient and wait for a '69 if you like the look of the '68 as '69's have Independant Rear Suspension (IRS) that provides much better contact with the road(better handling). If straight forward speed is all you really are looking for, I think the '68 is just fine. Offer less though!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; September 9th 2008 at 03:47.
Old September 9th 2008, 04:06

Offer less? any reason? dont get me wrong i would love to just give him 500 bucks but i dont want to piss him off by a low ball offer lol heres some better photos it is very very clean what should i offer him?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=655552
seats and belts alone are over 1000 dollars then new tires

and here i just found a 69 need to go look.
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/800275366.html
Old September 9th 2008, 05:10

I don't mean low low ball, just $3k instead of $3500 or $2200 or $2500 instead of $2700, you'll be wanting that extra money when you start fixing it up! The main thing is rust. Do you know the spots Bugs rust in? Also, accidents, look under the car, look the body over very carefully. You don't want to rip the car apart in front of the owner, but there are easy ways to see whether it's been in a front or rear ender often. He should have NO problem with you jacking up the car to look under. The first one is in much better LOOKING shape, but who knows if it's really in better body shape?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 10th 2008, 18:00

Well im the new owner of a 1968 Vdub he wouldnt go any lower than 3500 because of the new motor tires rims seats but once i found rusted floor pan on the driver side he agreed on 2g been there done that shouldnt cost me that much ill do myself for about 80 bucks
Old September 11th 2008, 14:06

Congrats and welcome to the world of VW! Hopefully that's all the rust you find, but be prepared for more, or don't go looking, one of the two! Keep us posted.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 12th 2008, 03:44

LOL funny you say that in 2 weeks me and my buddy will lift it up strip the whole bottom and rust bullet it up good and cut and replace what we can with the body on and if its a nightmare like unsafe then ill resale and try again.
Old September 14th 2008, 22:30

ok now the fun begins...

i seem to have a slight pop backfire out the stinger at idle then off of idle it pops and hesitates then goes any ideas i did a full tune and no change.
Old September 18th 2008, 20:01

I'm not the guy to ask about A/C vw motors, but there's a few guys on here who know plenty, keep trying.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run