GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 1st 2005, 01:14

5X100 pattern Discs, early LP/Swingaxle??

Hello all,
Well with the help of you guys here I have decided on my wheels and tires. I will be using a 16"x7" ET42 front and a 17"x7" ET42 rear. They are a 5X100 pattern.

This is for a '59 Type1 with LP and short swingaxle.

My questions are:
Should I go with CB Blank Disc Kitfor front and rear and have the rotors drilled for 5X100? Or is there any other kit alternative for better brakes?

Any idea how much it costs to have blank rotors drilled?

Thanks for the replies!
Old May 1st 2005, 12:53

Well, it depends what you plan on doing, and bigger brakes is always a welcomed modification. As with newer car continue to increase preformance and their relative braking power, I'd rather stop before them. Frankly after being in a case in which stock braking wasn't enough, I've decided to go bigger, much bigger, I hope for some track time too.

If you are looking for a bigger brake kit Lanner from Vdubcustoms, did mine. I've now got Rx7 brakes to install. I've posted not to long ago why.
Old May 1st 2005, 13:02

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5906

here you go, most of the points still hold true. But, again depends on your purpose.

And because 5x100 is a newer bolt pattern you'll probably not be able to find a off the shelf kit here in the US, maybe a german kit. Perhaps CSP? But if you go through CB or So Cal Imports you'll need to have the bolt pattern drilled into it. I've priced out drilling and studing awhile ago so prices may have changed but it was about 60 bucks each.

You may want to call Lanner. As we were working on my Rx7 kit we talked about machining stock blank rotors down to act like hubs, this would keep the cost down, if price is a factor but it allows for modern brakes and because 5x100 is a new VW pattern you'd be able to use new VW parts available at the local auto store.

Good luck
Old May 1st 2005, 13:11

one thing I did for get to mention because CB's front kit rotor assembly is both the rotor and the hub (part that holds the bearings) when you need to replace them, you'll need to drill them again to your 5x100 pattern, not to mention if your picky like me, I didn't like the idea of having to find blank rotors because I thought the extra holes looked funny, plus shipping and stuff.

But new stuff is vented and can usually be found at the autozone down on the corner.

As you can see I'm a bit bias.