GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old April 16th 2006, 19:24

914 Gauge install

Hey Guys!
I have rather a dumb question...well, er actually two.
I just installed 914 gauges into my 1302s. The tech article mentioned that I need to use "isolated 2 wire light connectors for my oil and generator lights and fuel gauge illumination". I was able to ground the gauge body and get the fuel gauge dash light to work. My Gen. and Oil lights however don't light up when I turn the ignition switch on, but my turn signal light blinks constantly without any of the outside lights flashing. I'm thinking that I've left off a ground somewhere allowing the flasher to energize...I dunno.
Did anyone ever encounter anything like that?
Also (again pardon my ignorance) how should I wire the Tach? I have 3 connectors: "12", "1" and "-"

Old April 16th 2006, 20:32

Duh! I think I just answered my own question. By looking at the back of the original speedo I see that the 3 sockets where the oil, gen and turn signal light go are in thier own isolated plastic housing separate from the speedo housing and grounded by themselves. The next step will be to wire it all as original and see what happens. By grounding my turn signal light to the chasis I am completing the circuit! Duh! Sorry guys!
I'm going to play around with the Tach tomorrow.....I'm still looking for the correct way to wire it. I don't wanna fry anything! So if anyone can tell me, that would be great!

Thanks!
Old April 16th 2006, 22:41
Administrator

Yes you will have to run a "Keyed Power" to each warning/signal light and the switch for low oil press/gen/turn will provide the ground.
Dash looks sweet. :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 17th 2006, 02:01

The dash does look sweet. Very nice.
Old April 17th 2006, 13:34

Thanks guys! That means alot coming from folks who have such awesome GL's! Anyway I'm still stuck on the tachometer. I know for a fact that if I just go out to the shop and start hooking up wires, I'm gonna kill something!
I've spent hours looking at countless websites and forums and still can't find any reference to how to hook it up. I've looked at various 914 wiring diagrams. None seem to have the same terminal numbers on the back of the tach. As above mentioned I have terminals marked "12", "1" and "-". At first glance I figured I'd have to hook switched power to "12" and ground to "-" and then a wire running from the coil to "1". Is this correct or am I gonna get the blue smoke of death upon ignition?
Old April 17th 2006, 19:11
Administrator

You are correct sir. At least that is how mine is connected and the smoke is still inside (you know they quit working when you let the smoke out)
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 17th 2006, 20:56

Thanks!!! I had to ask because if I didn't, I would have doubted my assumption on the connections and the next sight I would have seen would have been......

OOH-OOH! Do I get three wishes?! I want 4 pot calipers and cross drilled rotors! And I want.......