Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 26th 2007, 10:05

Narrowed IRS

Has anyone fitted one (or two ) of these narrowed IRS arms

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=DRS0007
aka
BlindChicken
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Pr...sion_parts.htm

I'm currently running 944 steel arms with vented disks, the big 4 pot calipers sit wider then the face of the disk. I have some cup2's which are 55 offset and fit spot on but I want the option to run earlier wheels. So if a spacer is used to clear the caliper then the track needs to be narrowed.

Also if anyone has narrowed the existing arms where did you get it done (UK based).

Cheers
Richard
Old October 26th 2007, 11:41

Narrowed irs

I did my own ,but the biggest hassle is making a jig.However your welcome to mine now i have done the job.See "my skinny arms " in the tech features.i copied this to the letter.I used the 380 mm long drive shafts from a early 944 auto.that is the left side so you need to source two cars.I used the 100mm CV and a beetle (80mm) one for the gearbox end.Take a look at my thread on VZI

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=382572

Last edited by Sunroof53; October 26th 2007 at 11:50.
Old October 26th 2007, 16:56

Skeeter top work, that looks far neater than in the tech artical. I found your thread at work but don't get pictures
I've already got a set of axles, although which one is the 380 mm the short one? It's dark and cold outside.

The one on the left is a beetle axle and the two on the right are from the 944. If it's the short one that would be at least 2" shorter than standard.
What do you reckon you have narrowed on each side? a post from Ricola suggested about 18mm (from a thread I can't find) but you mention 28mm which I'm assuming is total track.

I need to have a look tomorrow about how much I will need to narrow it by.

Thanks for the offer of the jig, I can only do chicken **** welding and although I know someone who could do a quality job, would you be interested in a paying job?
Old October 26th 2007, 19:40

I had a set on my bus. Bought direct from BCR. Mine were narrowed 1.5" and the spring plate mounts were moved in 1.5" also. Mine were also chromoly.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 27th 2007, 05:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cabby View Post
Skeeter top work, that looks far neater than in the tech artical. I found your thread at work but don't get pictures
I've already got a set of axles, although which one is the 380 mm the short one? It's dark and cold outside.

The one on the left is a beetle axle and the two on the right are from the 944. If it's the short one that would be at least 2" shorter than standard.
What do you reckon you have narrowed on each side? a post from Ricola suggested about 18mm (from a thread I can't find) but you mention 28mm which I'm assuming is total track.

I need to have a look tomorrow about how much I will need to narrow it by.

Thanks for the offer of the jig, I can only do chicken **** welding and although I know someone who could do a quality job, would you be interested in a paying job?

65 Cab,My arms were narrowed 29mm each side ,you need to loose 24mm for the extra 944 rear brake conversion and the other 5mm is to get a 6x15 Fuch comfortably under a stock arch with a wide tyre.With the method i used its about as narrow as you can go.
A standered beetle axle is about 415mm.That makes the 380mm 944 one 6mm to narrow .However it does not seem to be a problem there is plenty of movment in the shaft and the fact my car is lowered at the rear is probably helping.
Another solution is to use the left side of a type 3 auto which if i remember is about 389mm(about right).I just liked the idea of 944 shafts and it was pure chance it was an auto 944 which my parts came from ,otherwise i may not have known.The 15" drive shaft on the right of your picture is the one.15" or there abouts is the 380 mm one i used.Incidently i still actually need one as i ended up having to shorten one of mine temporarily.I did get another set of auto shafts but they changed the auto in 82 which had longer shafts,so they had to go back.
Not sure why you are not getting the pictures .I could post them here if you still cant see them.Good luck with your car.

Sorry as much as i would like to, i can't do private work .

Last edited by Sunroof53; October 27th 2007 at 05:49.
Old October 27th 2007, 13:31

Thanks Skeeter, no problem about private stuff , I thought I'd ask.
It's only my work connection that doesn't allow links to photo sites.

As this is going to be my winter tinkering project I've go some time to think it through.
I've running some 15 1/4" race axles which don't have a shoulder for the CV, so I thought I would be able to shorten them by turning them down and allowing the CVs to move closer to the center.

But now I've got my tape measure out it looks like new axles too.

How close is your spring plate as the blindchicken arms mount on the inside. Although thinking about it, that's not a problem as it's the face of the disk which needs to move, as I've had the 6" Fuch's on drums.

Panelfantastic: What brakes did you run as the Aircooled page mentions having to modify them?

So here is a before picture, I need to source some new arms so it might be a while for an after shot.

I've no idea way I'm tinkering as it looks the dogs with the Cups
Old October 27th 2007, 14:05

I used CB Performance rotohubs. Don't remember having any problems?
VKG Bastage child
Old October 27th 2007, 21:50

Hi

I had 944 backing plates narrowed on my old 1302, it ended up with the wheel bolt being only being a few mm further out over stock.

An easier solution would have been to use a Type 3 centre section, mount the 944 rotor on that then make an adapter for the stock calliper, you would still get a track increase, the thickness of the 944 rotor centre over the Type 3 drum centte thickness. Only problem then is the E bake. A Willwood Ebrake calliper could be used. Our local authority engineers would not allow me to use a non OEM ebrake calliper, that why I went the narrowed 944 backing plate route.

Steve

My billet hub

My narrowed backing plate