GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 3rd 2011, 17:30

TopLine Maxx vs. LA Performance struts?

I'm in the process of replacing the original struts on my -73 1303S/Super with something that allows me to put on 17" rims. So far, it has boiled down to the two brands mentioned in the title, but I would like to hear any pros and cons from people that have really used any of them. I'm not into any kind of racing, the main purpose is just to fit wider wheels and get a decent ride.
Old August 5th 2011, 08:24

I've got MaXX struts on mine, happy enough with them except for the springs were too soft.
Old August 8th 2011, 09:58

I've got Topline MAXX struts on my 1302. I'm very pleased with them.
Old August 8th 2011, 12:49

While I can't comment on performance, I have them on my car.. (car sitting for now in pieces, due to crazy life, and family medical problems)

The one observation I will make, is that they seem relatively heavy as far as unsprung weight. If a daily driver I see no issue, but if you are looking to track, then maybe not the best choice.

For the money, not a bad option, as long as you understand their limitation (as delivered). Limited adjustablity for height, and what seems like soft springs.
Some of this can be overcome with parts, but your adding to the overall weight. Construction is good, as well as fit and finish.

Dending on where I go with my car, I will either use these, build some coilovers out of 944 struts or just take the plunge and get some coilovers from KW, AST or similiar.

VR
Alex

To quote someone close to me, when life gives you lemons, pour yourself a rum and coke
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old August 9th 2011, 06:25

One consideration worth noting is that all mainstream car manufacturers tailor the suspension settings for the country of use with the one for the USA being very specific to that country. Its the road conditions and the expectations that are the variables. Therefore, I would not recommend euro suspension components for the USA and vice versa. Where Sweden falls in all of this is open to debate. However, I noticed today that Ohlins were beginning to market track/road suspension, the details of which looked VERY TASTY! I'm sure that they would be able to tailor their struts and dampers specifically to your requirements. The other BIG plus point is that Ohlins are of course a Swedish company so apart from knowing local conditions, you will be supporting your own industry. Besides Ohlins are arguably the best suspension damper unit manufacturer in the World.
Old August 9th 2011, 17:40

Hi

I don't think roads vary greatly between countries, what does vary is what car manufacturers feel that the locals will accept as far as ride quality.

Steve
Old August 10th 2011, 12:04

Steve,
In Europe the French Market gets different suspension settings due to the predominence of their pave roads that dictate fairly soft settings. Ford made the mistake back in the '80s by setting up their cars for the french pave and then selling their XR3 with those settings in UK. It was a disaster as the UK roads almost require a diametrically opposite settings to the french ones. The XR3 is the only car I have been travel sick in whilst navigating because of the choppiness of the rear suspension.

I would imagine that Sweden has a goodly amount of non-metalled roads with graded stone surfaces being predominent outside of the towns and off the main roads. In some ways it must be a little like Iceland.

Clive
Old January 14th 2012, 11:06

The roads of sweden is 95% asphalt of good quality. tuning suspension for our roads is probably just a matter of taste. i run 180pound springs up front with gas charged golf mk1 dampers on the modified struts i shortened and put adjustable lower springseats "coilover style" . shorter and lighter than both the maxx struts and la performance at a FAR lower price
Old January 17th 2012, 09:45

Riseabove, Why did you choose 180lb/in springs? or is the 180lb the total compression load?
Old January 23rd 2012, 15:07

I chose the 180 pound spring out of haven ridden in my friends 1302 with the same setup but with 210 pound springs , I wanted a similar ride but without the extra harschness. I have my own fabricated adjustable camber plates with solid planetary bearing and welded shock tower supports and our self fabricated delrin bushings all this leads to a rather unpleasant stiffness that probably would be better at the racetrack.
Old January 30th 2012, 12:47

Riseabove, I run a Spax PSX kit that is progressive with I think 110lb primary rate. This is with a stiffened front end and I feel that when pushed over the country roads around here they work very well although I would have liked to try a marginally softer rate. The original rate was 80lb/in and I understand that the Topline coil overs are around this rate. I don't get any harshness and the grip is very impressive overall and too much for the lowly 1600tp that is fitted - it is unstickable.
Old February 17th 2012, 12:29

as we all have different preferences concerning harschness and handling it is really difficult to be able to help someone in their choice of springs and dampers.

a friend has field tested the same setup that i have only with 120pound springs and he found it way to soft for his taste. the original springs and setup on the beetle feels lika a ship on rough waters for me. no sense of control at all and i would rather have a harsch but controlled ride than a confortable one