GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old March 17th 2015, 12:02

New Remmele Type 4 Billet CNC Heads "Light Version"

Hello,
Edi Remmele asked me to post some data and pics of his new "light version" type 4 heads. More to the weird name later. We hope you like them!
The heads are completely made in house. They are completely billet. The heads are sold complete including: seats, 47x42 nimonic valves,guides,springs,retainers,keepers and cnc billet valve covers.
They are 1,8kg heavier than a stock cast type 4 head.Out of the box they flow 264cfm @25". Another important feature is there are holes to cool the head studs and between the cylinders. You can bolt on a type 1 exhaust system of your choice without modification. I would suggest a good flowing header i.e. WASP, A1,Lummus,etc.
There are 2 versions of this head depending on your application.The one described here is the larger version 2 with the 47x42 valves and larger ports. The other version 1, has a bit smaller ports and valves. The version 2 heads are not available below a 100mm bore. 103mm and 105mm are preferred.
Price for either version is 2.490.- Euros.

They are called "light version" because Remmele also has a billet CNC replacement for his large heads that are 2 piece heads. They are not available as a seperate set,only available with the purchase of an engine. They are bigger and flow well over 300 cfm@25". All the cnc billet heads are designed for street use! Type 1 CNC Billet Heads will follow soon, the CNC Programming is in process. The type 1 heads will be very similar to the type 4 "light version" heads.

Old March 19th 2015, 00:16

Shots like this make me want to come back to aircooled T4s. Congratulations on having this beautiful set of heads.
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old March 19th 2015, 06:44

Thanks Randy,but those are not mine! I will have the "big heads" soon,which are 2 piece heads. Here are my heads: These pics are a little older about 4 months,I don´t have any current pics. Some of the specs: 2 piece billet heads,cooling fins are 20mm to 40mm deep and enclose the entire head, rocker studs are 8mm thick 12.9 grade and are 7mm longer than stock,one piece bolt on rocker arm "bridge" which makes shimming much easier and has more stability,cooling fins enclose the intake port completely to add more cooling, cooling of the studs,Beryllium valve seats and guides, 52x42 nimonic valves or 48x42 nimonic valves (titanium also available),103mm or 105mm bore only. They share a cnc valve cover which has an o-ring seal and there is an O-ring seal between the heads at the rocker box. My engine is a 102x71 but my Deutz cylinders (not the engine in the pic) have the same outside diameter.

Why 2 piece? Better clamping pressure and cylinder to head seal for engines that have extreme cylinder pressures (for a future billet engine project),even better cooling than the light version and in case of damage,only 1 half of the head can be replaced and of course also,easier to produce than a 1 piece head with the same features.
Old March 19th 2015, 14:47

His stuff is stunning...
Old March 19th 2015, 15:42

Hello Mark

just a quick question, how the two heads seal to each other in the rocker area? as i see there is a common block for the rockers and not a split one they should be joined somehow

Friendly

Dimitrios
Old March 19th 2015, 17:06

Hi Dimitrios. There is an O-ring seal between the heads at the rocker box. However,at the time of these pics it wasn't done yet.

Mark
Old March 20th 2015, 02:33

OK thanks it's clear now, cheers and thanks

Friendly

Dimitrios
Old March 20th 2015, 06:14

Just sensational!
What HP are these heads expected to acheive?
Cheers
D
Old March 20th 2015, 06:41

Hi Flintstones,
100hp/liter naturally aspirated could be done with these heads (both versions) and still remain reliable as far as temperatures are concerned.Currently there is a hillclimb racer with a Remmele 3 liter and the old cast heads with type 1 style exhaust ports. He is pumping out 362 bhp and 350NM torque,naturally aspirated fuel injected.Those heads have about the same flow and performance as the new one piece "light version". But again out of the box for street use,these heads are designed to give 250bhp reliably,which means daily driving. That is the main concern. Cast heads will cause problems eventually running an engine above 75hp/liter and the cost to repair them and the additional machining and port work,welding etc. makes them expensive and they are still inferior in performance and reliability. The 2 piece heads,are designed for extreme engines with high rpm and high cylinder pressure and above 2800ccm. Thanks for all the comments!

Cheers
Mark
Old March 20th 2015, 08:58

Good morning, I really don't see why Remmele just did not make the individual heads, completely individual. The sealing will be a weak link of the rockers. All seals work great when new, but if it's rubber, it will harden.
Old March 20th 2015, 11:19

Hi Francelle,
The O-ring won't leak or harden,because it is silicone based. There is no movement in that area. They are 2 piece mainly to achieve more cooling. An individual head provides more equalized clamping pressure due to the offset type 4 studspacing. To achieve cooling like that,there is no other possibility because there is no other way to machine it.

Cheers,
Mark
Old March 21st 2015, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Hi Francelle,
The O-ring won't leak or harden,because it is silicone based. There is no movement in that area. They are 2 piece mainly to achieve more cooling. An individual head provides more equalized clamping pressure due to the offset type 4 studspacing. To achieve cooling like that,there is no other possibility because there is no other way to machine it.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi, most valve covers gaskets are of some kind of silicone additive. I work daily on diesel engines that use a kind of silicone seal, and they are in the shop due to oil leaks. Yes, the seal is still pliable and rubbery but they still leak. I find it hard to understand why Remmele is taking this route. Will the seals have any type of groove on both receiving areas? No doubt the heads look like they will fit the bill,I don't want to be the harbinger of bad advice but, being in a horizontal position it's just a matter of time before the leaks show them selves..
Old March 21st 2015, 14:25

Yes,the heads have grooves machined on each side. We'll see how they hold up over time.
Old March 22nd 2015, 15:34

I can test a set next year...
Old April 1st 2015, 08:30

It seems I will be using the light version heads instead of the split heads. The split heads have a 103mm wide chamber that can not be made any smaller since they can incorporate 52mm intake valve. I have a 102mm piston and cylinderbore I have to run the smaller head.
I do have another set of 105,5mm Mahle forged pistons and Deutz cylinders ready to go. But,I would have to sell the 102mm custom JE pistons and the matching Deutz cylinders. I think it would be hard to find a buyer for them.