GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 17th 2012, 15:07

NO_H20, can you give me a definitive yes or no on the DTM working with my breather tower? Sorry I'm obsessive compulsive and start twitching when answers are left open ended!
Old March 17th 2012, 18:07
Administrator

Your tower looks fine. A FAT shroud does lot require the machining that other 911 shrouds do. Zen went from a Fat 911 shroud to a DTM with no issues. Hell Jake's guys did it. No shims or machining required.

You will have to cut the lug off that the long bolt is sticking thru in you picture. It will hang on the apron when you try to install the engine. You will also have to drill the dimples that the stock breather bail went in. They will then take the bolts (horizontal) that secure and adjust the mounting block inside the breather tower for the DTM alternator stand blots (vertical under alternator).
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 17th 2012, 21:11

You revived my dreams! thanks! Is that a carbon fiber shroud? Looks really clean with that DTM breather box.

My breather tower already has horizontal bolts drilled into it... Hard to see, but there is a hole where the red crap is and another on the other side.

Old March 18th 2012, 09:59
Administrator

No that is a fiberglass V2 DTM. It has a paint treatment that that floats on water, then the shroud was dipped in it.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 3rd 2012, 21:19

Paint

Alright, I've been making some big moves in the past couple months. Graduated from engineering school, got a sweet job as a process engineer at a medical device company, moved up north into a new house, and...

I worked on my bug.

Took the body to get media blasted, came out nice. I put a cap on how much I wanted to spend, so certain areas weren't stripped. In hindsight it would have saved me a lot of time from cleaning had I just blasted the whole damn thing. I think when you begin a project, you are more cost focused and as you get tired of scraping, brushing, scrubbing, and cleaning you begin to spend more to spend less time.

I'll cut to the chase.

As I mentioned before, I moved up to Northern Arizona and the body shop that I did all my work in is in Phoenix so the body shop owner sent me pictures from his phone so the quality isn't that great. I'll post better pictures when I go down to get it. Essentially, I sprayed all the primer, did all the blocking, hammering, welding, and body work. I ended up letting the owner of the shop spray base and clear for me. I spent so much time blocking that I didn't want to mess it up in the last step.

Wanting to transport this about 150 miles north. Contemplating Uhaul or paying someone to freight it or throw it on a trailer. Any ideas?
Old July 5th 2012, 12:21

Nice color, that's going to be a great GL!
Old July 5th 2012, 13:55

I agree with Gerrelt! That is some awesome work you have done!
Old July 5th 2012, 14:39
Administrator

Looks very nice. I would drop it onto a pan secure all the parts with every other bolt so it does not get racked, use towels so the doors, hood, etc. don't rub, push it up on a trailer and drag it home.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 6th 2012, 14:26

+1 on the color, that will look great in the sun. I'm with Dave, if you can get it on a pan to secure it and make it a roller, transport might be easier. You also wont have to worry about the body springing and putting cracks in the paint.
Old July 6th 2012, 22:36

Thanks for the thumbs up guys!

As far as assembling the car into a rolling state, it won't be possible. When I moved, I had the movers pack all my parts and bring them up to my new house to simplify the move. I get what you mean by bolting the body parts on, but hopefully I can secure them well enough. I'll need a lot of blankets and foam wrap.

The pan is still at my old place and I am planning on putting the body on the pan inside the Uhaul, maybe put a few of the pan bolts in. I think I'm going to play it by ear and bring a few friends along to make the lifting easy. Wish me luck, I am doing it tomorrow. Taking a shuttle south to PHX, renting a Uhaul, then driving back up.
Old July 10th 2012, 01:04

Still need to wetsand at 1500-2000 grit, then polish. I'm really happy with how it came out. Spent about $2k all said and done for all materials, renting the booth, and some labor. Much better than the 4-6K quotes I received from quality paint shops. Hell, Maaco wanted to charge me 2K.

I learned a lot, and feel pretty confident in my body work skills. That being said, I hope I never have to do extensive body work ever again.

Last edited by Bugged; December 25th 2014 at 12:02.
Old July 10th 2012, 02:00

I moved mine in a box trailer. I had a similar stand under mine to the one in your photo. I slid the legs of the stand in to some channel that was welded in to the corners of the box trailer so it didn't need to be tied off. I then inserted some thread through the top of the stand and in to the pan bolt holes so the bofy didn't need to be tied to the stand.

No marks left on any paint anywhere and it arrived with no problems. I also had removable wheels on the legs of my stand so I could roll it around the garage as well.

Yogie
Old July 10th 2012, 10:50
Administrator

Good to see it made the trip without any troubles.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 11th 2012, 20:24

Beautiful, great job!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 15th 2012, 00:41

Here's a question. Is there anything I should do before I mate the body to the chassis? Like run the brake lines?