GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old January 11th 2011, 23:50

Possible Project (Type 181)

I was late to the party on buying a standard Beetle and a 1303, now something weird has re-emerged in my mind as a possible project. I know it's off the wall but if the weather clears, there's a Type 181 (Thing, Trekker, Safari, ...) I would like to check out. And, yes, I know I'm posting to the German Look forum.

Okay, two simple questions. One deals with handling. One deals with ride height. They're intertwined so I'll explain my desire rather than place a formal question or ten, and leave it open-ended to anyone who would like to respond.

Even if I got a 181, I would want it to handle. I imagine some answers would be the same as my standard Beetle thread and someone else's non-Super thread. However in this case I am not necessarily willing to just lower it and be done with it. If I did, I could ask Mendeola if their set-up would apply to a 181. (They say Type I Ghia at their site, so I can't imagine why not.)

The ideal solution would be some sort of way of having a nice lowered stance for optimum pavement driving like I would be doing most of the time, and being able to raise it on the occasions pavement doesn't work or (like now) we have snow. I know an older Citroën could do such a thing but that model was not exactly sporty in its everyday stance.

Any suggestions?
Old January 20th 2011, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
I was late to the party on buying a standard Beetle and a 1303, now something weird has re-emerged in my mind as a possible project. I know it's off the wall but if the weather clears, there's a Type 181 (Thing, Trekker, Safari, ...) I would like to check out. And, yes, I know I'm posting to the German Look forum.

Okay, two simple questions. One deals with handling. One deals with ride height. They're intertwined so I'll explain my desire rather than place a formal question or ten, and leave it open-ended to anyone who would like to respond.

Even if I got a 181, I would want it to handle. I imagine some answers would be the same as my standard Beetle thread and someone else's non-Super thread. However in this case I am not necessarily willing to just lower it and be done with it. If I did, I could ask Mendeola if their set-up would apply to a 181. (They say Type I Ghia at their site, so I can't imagine why not.)

The ideal solution would be some sort of way of having a nice lowered stance for optimum pavement driving like I would be doing most of the time, and being able to raise it on the occasions pavement doesn't work or (like now) we have snow. I know an older Citroën could do such a thing but that model was not exactly sporty in its everyday stance.

Any suggestions?
Kevin ":Coolrydes" Zagar here from Mendeola. Not sure about fender clearance since we set this up to go under a type 1. But I think the bulkhead is the same. Check out the kit in this forum and let me know if you need more info.
http://www.germanlook.net/forums/sho...light=mendeola
Old January 23rd 2011, 04:53

Thanks! I have lots of little questions that would be Thing-specific. Your set-up is quite intriguing. The only questions I have for the moment are with reference to installation. How involved is it? Do you do it?

(I am not a DIY'er although I will wade into that arena once we sort out selling/buying houses as our next one will have a garage. The market sucks and nothing is moving.)