GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 17th 2005, 09:56

Suby and Oil Pans

Hey guys,
I'm doing a little research on conversion oil pans for the Subaru engine swap.
What does everyone think about the alloy pan offered by Bug@5-Speed.com? I like what I'm seeing and hearing about it. Besides the "cool" ribbed alloy pan factor, the slight kick-out on the sides increases capacity back to almost stock, provides extra cooling and I like the baffles to keep the pick-up covered in hard cornering.
This looks like the hot ticket pan for a conversion destined for the track, or other hard cornering scenarios!
At the present conversion rate - the price isn't too "out there" either......
Thoughts?
Jeff
Old November 17th 2005, 13:11

I have their oil sump on my EJ20TT, ground clearance isn't a problem anymore, it holds the same amount of oil as stock (from what I've read on the forums) and it's a good fit.
A big + for US buyers is that the owner of bugat5speed communicates very well in Englis. Mine took just over a week from ordering to arriving in Belgium.

Only negative thing I have to say about is that the screw that keeps all the oil in isn't included and I had to find one that fitted( not a big deal but in a kit like that it should be included since it isn't the same size as stock)
Old November 17th 2005, 20:25

Tom,

Great pics - looks awesome!
How did you seal it up - RTV/Silicone?
Agreed abou the drain plug - if it's different is should come with one.

Does it retain the oil scrape/r separator that I belives mounts under the crankshaft, near the oil pan surface? I haven't pulled the pan on mine yet but I believe I saw a pic with an engine W/O pan, with a large baffle mostly hiding the engine internals.

What's involved in adapting the oil pick up tube?

Hmmmm... anyone up for a group buy?
Jeff
Old November 18th 2005, 08:32

I used liguid sealant for oil sumps (just asked for it in the shop).

Only thing I did was cutting a piece of the oil pick up tube and welded it back together, haven't touched anything else so the baffle you refered to is still there.

I'd say mail Martin from Bug@5speed about the group buy, I think he'll propably be up for it.
Old November 18th 2005, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS guy
hmmmm... anyone up for a group buy?
Jeff
Group buy?

I'm interested.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old November 23rd 2005, 13:27

Group buy ?

Can we get an indication of how much $$ we are talking about ?
Will these also fit the EJ25 ?

Rob.
Old November 23rd 2005, 15:08

Quote:
Will these also fit the EJ25 ?
I think is will but to be sure you better mail the seller on this adres:
martin.bott@mail.regio.net or if that doesn't work: info@bugat5speed.de
Old November 24th 2005, 05:27

my oilsump

Hi guys,

just found out that you are discussing about my oilsump. I like to see, that you are interested in it.

Regarding your concerns I can tell you:

oil capacity is only 0.25 litres less than original. Most shortened sumps loose up to 1 litre. The cooling property is very good.

use liquid sealant like Loctite 574 to mount it to the engine.

the oil drain plug can be included to the kit. Thatīs no problem. Itīs a drain plug from a Beetle engine, so itīquite easy to get.

It also fits the EJ 25 (fits EJ 18, 20, 20T, 22, 25).

The sump is very stabile. So you can also use it for buggies. You can lift the car by placing an hydr. lifter underneath the sump.

I can offer a discount price if you arrange a collective order (hope itīs the wright word). It should be at least three in one package.

Freight costs are 82 Euro for a package with up to 5 to 6 sumps inside. If airfreight is required it costs another 84 Euro (normally not necessary - normal freight takes about 6-7 days).

Be aware, that my price 295 Euro is inclusive German VAT. For export to the US you can subtract this VAT. Then the price is only 254 Euro.

If you need further info, please call me, or send me an e-mail (info@bugat5speed.de).

Cheers Martin Bott Bug @ 5-Speed www.bugat5speed.de
Old November 24th 2005, 10:21

Thank you for the detailed information Martin. The price (less VAT) is looking better and better! Compare to the typical modified OEM sump available here in the US, which all seem to run ~ $250, your sump looks to offer a great value at the current exchange rate. You've got to admit, that alloy finned sump surely looks a lot better and an old steel pan with a plate welded to the bottom!

One more question if you don't mind - what is the difference in sump height between your alloy sump and the original? - or in other words, how much shorter is it?
Thanks, Jeff
Old November 24th 2005, 10:33

I would be interested in a group buy also.

Ernie
Old November 24th 2005, 14:05

height of the flat oilsump

Hi guys,

sorry that I forgot to mention one of the most important features of my sump. The sump is 5 cm less in height as the original Subaru sump (although mine has fins underneath).

Have instructed my producer (milling machine) to finnish the next charge by week 51 (around Christmas time). I have 6 sumps which are not reserved. So if you are interested in collective orders you can manage it.
Would like to make packages with at least 3 up to 5 sumps in one unit. Offer you a discount of 25 Euro on each sump if a collective order is being placed. Price is then 230 Euro per sump plus freight.
Donīt mind to send single units also, but thatīs without discount and much on freight costs.

If you have further questions, please ask!

Cheers Martin
Old November 24th 2005, 22:39

hmm... If I understand this correctly. Martin is offering us a group buy but we have to order them in 1 package? say ship all to Someone's house, then he'll divide them out? Also, wouldn't shipping go down the more we get in the "group"?

What about the oil pick up tube, would that have to be shortened too?

Just a few points I'm not very clear on...
Old November 25th 2005, 04:46

freight costs oilsump

Hi guys,

the cost for freight for one package from 10 up to 20 kg to the US is 82 Euro. A package with 5 to 10 kg costs 52 Euro.

One oilsump weighs about a little more than 5 kg. So you can only put 1 sump in the small package which costs 52 Euro.
But you can put 3 in one big package up to 20 kg which will cost 82 Euro. This means that the freight costs for one sump in a 3-pieces unit is 27,30 Euro. So itīs 25 Euro cheaper per sump as if you buy single. Donīt know what freight costs for a single unit in the US is, but I think that it must be much cheaper than 25 Euro. Here in Germany we pay between 5 and 7 Euro for such a package.

The oil pick up tube has indeed to be shortened, as the sump is 5 cm less in height than the original one. Itīs a quite easy job to do and I think everyone who is planning to do such a conversion will easily manage this.

So think it over and arrange group buy of each package with three sumps. That would be the cheapest way to get the sumps I think. I donīt mind sending single units with one sump inside, but itīs more expensive.

Cheers Martin
Old November 25th 2005, 09:43

Yes, the deal Martin proposes would ship 3 (or more) sumps to one persons house, who would then have to re-package and re-ship to the other two buyers.
A quick currency conversion, and splitting the 82 Euro 3 ways I get ~ $300 per sump (without the extra in-US shipping). At ~ 11lbs, shipping here is probably going to run about another $20-25 or so for each one sent from the original drop point. So the way I see it, the bloke who has to do all the logistics/handling/re-packaging and re-shipping gets his sump for 3 bills, the other two cough up another $25/per (or maybe a bit less?).

Looking at an individual sump - about $365 to your door. Either way it still looks like a lot of value for a very nice product.
I have to take a close look at my chassis and do a test fit of my EJ before I can say yea or nea. Not doing a VW conversion, my car has a mid-engine tube chassis which converges at the trans mounting face - need to see if there's room (below) for this sump.

Jeff
Old November 25th 2005, 19:55

I'll have to think about that. I know it's very good quality. but that's a lot of "cheddar" I still need a lot more for my car before I can drop this kind of money on a sump.