GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 13th 2009, 19:38

Upright Conversion exhaust system

Here is the new finished system that will be coming out soon. Made In The USA. 16 Gauge mild steel 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 primaries with a Stainless Magnaflow muffler. The flange will exit just outside the apron on early Super beetle. Will offer ceramic coating also. 1 1/2" $725 + shipping
1 5/8" $750 + shipping. Inside and out ceramic coating of header add $195
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WithMuffler02.jpg (56.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg WithMuffler03.jpg (56.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg WithMuffler01.jpg (58.1 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by vdubzack; October 14th 2009 at 23:37.
Old October 13th 2009, 21:35

Hey! That's Chris' shop! While your there just get a EVO header...

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old October 14th 2009, 06:43

I Know! Chris is doing this One to help those on a tighter budget. Evo for me All the way. Will be taking my squareback to him for it's system

Last edited by vdubzack; October 14th 2009 at 06:51.
Old October 15th 2009, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubzack View Post
Here is the new finished system that will be coming out soon. Made In The USA. 16 Gauge mild steel 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 primaries with a Stainless Magnaflow muffler. The flange will exit just outside the apron on early Super beetle. Will offer ceramic coating also. 1 1/2" $725 + shipping
1 5/8" $750 + shipping. Inside and out ceramic coating of header add $195
The system looks very nice but the price puts it in the NASA league.
By the time we add shipping and taxes the cost will be $=£ (parity)
Locally, Turbo Thomas would provide a system in stainless for ~£500.
http://www.turbothomas.com/index.html

Clive
Old October 15th 2009, 07:42

We stock the 1 1/2" version, here in the UK £280

Paul
Old October 15th 2009, 12:52

Thats $456 USD at todays conversion rate Chris' 1 1/2 header only is $425 And shipping from UK is a killer.
Old October 15th 2009, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
The system looks very nice but the price puts it in the NASA league.
By the time we add shipping and taxes the cost will be $=£ (parity)
Locally, Turbo Thomas would provide a system in stainless for ~£500.
http://www.turbothomas.com/index.html

Clive
Todays exchange Rate would put that at $813 USD so his system is a little more down to earth for me. Does that £500 Include VAT?. Oh, sorry I don't have to pay that here. If not then the difference is substantial. To say the least.
Old October 16th 2009, 07:01

Quote:
Todays exchange Rate would put that at $813 USD so his system is a little more down to earth for me. Does that £500 Include VAT?. Oh, sorry I don't have to pay that here. If not then the difference is substantial. To say the least.
Turbo Thomas' exhausts are full stainless whereas the one you quote is mild steel with stainless muffler. normally we would expect bespoke mild steel systems to be used on a competition car where longevity is not an issue. Therefore, you could consider a bespoke mild steel header to be a 'special special' and pay accordingly. If you are to make a more direct comparison with a full stainless system then you need to factor in the ceramic coating although it still doesn't quite reach the quality of stainless.

Unfortunately, we are screwed on taxes with products arriving from outside of the EU. There is an import tax of 10% and then on top of that there is VAT (currently 15%) on the whole amount including the import tax. However, with the quantity coming in sometimes the authorities can't be bothered with the paperwork on small items so its a bit of a lottery as to what the final figure is.

Clive
Old October 16th 2009, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Turbo Thomas' exhausts are full stainless whereas the one you quote is mild steel with stainless muffler. normally we would expect bespoke mild steel systems to be used on a competition car where longevity is not an issue. Therefore, you could consider a bespoke mild steel header to be a 'special special' and pay accordingly. If you are to make a more direct comparison with a full stainless system then you need to factor in the ceramic coating although it still doesn't quite reach the quality of stainless.

Unfortunately, we are screwed on taxes with products arriving from outside of the EU. There is an import tax of 10% and then on top of that there is VAT (currently 15%) on the whole amount including the import tax. However, with the quantity coming in sometimes the authorities can't be bothered with the paperwork on small items so its a bit of a lottery as to what the final figure is.

Clive
I know the taxes suck. But at least you guys have universal health care, and roads that wont test your suspension at every turn
Old October 16th 2009, 20:36
Administrator

We had a couple visit us from the UK and they did not have much good to say about the "Universal Health Care" system in the UK. They told us that we don't want what they have when we have the best system in the known world.
Don't even get me started on taxes.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 17th 2009, 08:43

Quote:
I know the taxes suck. But at least you guys have universal health care, and roads that wont test your suspension at every turn
We need the "universal health care" to cope with our diabolical roads (I have replaced 6 front road springs on our two E class Mercs in the last 5 years!!). Besides where you grow up corrolates with your success at different branches of Motorsport:
So the Finns are very good at fast forest stage rallying; the french are good at tight tarmac rallying and the Brits are good at rough tarmac rallying. You Americans are good at Nascar racing _

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
We had a couple visit us from the UK and they did not have much good to say about the "Universal Health Care" system in the UK. They told us that we don't want what they have when we have the best system in the known world.
Don't even get me started on taxes.
Brits moan at everything especially the weather and the health service! However, when we got dragged into O'bama's (that famous black american irishman) US health reforms as a nation we are generally aghast at the concept that if you can't afford to pay when you are ill NO-ONE is going to look after you and you'll get dumped.

Our health service would be better if it were not for the overbearing bureaocracy, managerial incompetance and government fiddling. The concept is spot on.

Anyhow lets stay with motors shall we.
Old October 17th 2009, 09:04
Administrator

Right on. Back to the topic at hand.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 17th 2009, 09:22

Thanks for the Turbo Thomas link as I have a person looking to do a type four in his Spyder replica, and his system is a almost, exact look of the original. I guess i can pick it up when I get to the UK And save the shipping.