GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old June 6th 2009, 14:22

915 Rebuild or build 113 super beetle

Hello, I am at a point of having to choose between rebuilding a 915. Or building a 4 speed custom ratio super beetle trans.

Here is what is going on, I have been gathering parts for a total build of a super beetle trans. However I want my trans to be a freeway flyer. The super beetle trans at 80mph, is really under stress due to the r&p being a 3.88 and a 1:1 forth gear.

Presently I have a Rhino case gusseted and I also have a new Quaife ATB. I thought I would be able to order a 3.44 r&p, but the Quaife will not adapt the 3.44 r&p.

So now I will need to either do a total custom first through forth gear ratio selection at about maybe 1200.00

Or Sell the Rhino case and Quaife and order a ATB for the 915 and have it rebuilt. So you input will help
Old June 6th 2009, 15:01

I went the full tilt 1303 tranny for my car for a couple reasons. rules and fit. I had the strongest possible type 1 tranny built from Rancho for my track car and without the quaife it was $2800 shipped. I'm sure if you sent them the diff they would subtract that cost. Once you get the tranny it drops right in, no fuss or modification and you can go for a drive.

If you choose to go with a 915 you're overall cost will be higher with money spent on the tranny and rebuild, plus modifying the car. Chassis, tranny mounts, axles, shift rod, shifter, and clutch system all need to be modified to make the 915 work which means fabrication time and more money. It can be done and it works like a champ but you should know what the big picture looks like before you jump in.
Old June 6th 2009, 16:12

Pretty much what Humble said.
You need to be really motivated to adapt a porsche 5-speed, but 4 closer gears and a freeway 5th is what I liked most, but the effort is indeed high.
Old June 7th 2009, 00:15

Choices:-(

Hi, thanks for the responses. I am still up in the air as to choice. No doubt, I need to make the choice, I forgot to mention that a have a type IV fly wheel and clutch made by Kennedy, for the 915 a six puck spring center. I just like the ideal of a fifth gear, not just longer first through forth gears. I also noted how Walter modded the slave cylinder on his project.

I think I will just take apart the 915 and see just what its ratios are, and make it run-a-ble.

No doubt the custom ratio choices on gears for the 1303 will help, but still no fifth gear. I think I'll go over to Pelican and ask pricing on how much for someone to install and set a GT diff into the 915, that's after I see just what are the ratios in the 915.

Thanks again
Old June 7th 2009, 22:51

That 915 is gonna be lots of $$$$$, each gear set start's at $500 (ask me how I know) I used Carquip for mine.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG