GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 25th 2006, 18:06

Adjustable spring plates?

I would like to lower the rear of my 72 Ghia. I am not sure how much, as I dont know what wheel size I will be going with yet.

Would adjustable spring plates from cip1.com be the easiet option? I will most likely have to keep readjusting the height for wheel clearence.

Has anyone installed these adjustable spring plates?

Another issue is the torsion bar length. Cip say they require 21 3/4 inch bars. The only ones I can find say heavy duty, are these my only option? Whats the stiffness of these compared to stock?
Old November 27th 2006, 14:52

naaz90,

As I understand it, the adjustable spring plates will do little for providing clearance for larger wheels. What this will do is allow you to easily raise and lower the car.

The clearance issues we face in a Ghia is from the edge of the tire to the fender. Obliviously, lowering the car will reduce the travel distance of the suspension, but will not provide any more or less space for the tire.

I am planning on using the early aluminum trailing arms from a 944 in my Ghia, so this even compounds the problem more as the arms extend further outward than the stock arms. However, I also plan on going with custom offset rims, which should bring everything back into alignment again.

There is a really good thread going on this site called "Mikeys Ghia Thread" that shows what he is doing to provide more clearance for the rear wheels. Check it out...

Doug