GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 24th 2006, 15:06

Super wobble in curves, help!!!

Hey guys,
my '74 super beetle wobbles again after front alignment and tyre rotating(balancing), but the strange thing now is that it's not wobble when driving in straight road, but it wobbles like a mad dancer when taking a slight curve at mid-speed(3rd gear),,,
is there is any way i could solve this, because it's strange problem because all sb wobble at straight road, but mine wobble only in curves so i don't want to change or do anything more before asking u here...
thnx in advance...

Michael
Old September 27th 2006, 17:55

where r u ppl, this problem driving me mad ...
Old September 27th 2006, 19:15

Don't know if this will help, but check that the axle nuts are the correct tightness, as well, all the pivot points should be checked:

Tie rod ends
Lower control arm bushing
Strut balljoint

Replace anything that is worn.

After that, I don't know what to tell ya.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 28th 2006, 06:45

Your shimmie is a rarer one!

Check all of the above as well as the joints in the steering. Pay particular attention to the idler bushings and steering box.

It appears there is no single component that goes bad and causes the 'shimmies'.. Slop in the steering combined with general wear in all the joints.

Bad front and rear shock absorbers, collapsed rear springplate bushes, sagging rear torsion bars will all add up and will cost you front castor.

Is your suspension modified? Any play in the steering? What was your wheel alignment set to? The stock wheel alignment settings require everything be in A1 condition, wheel camber zero crossing during driving will change the loading/direction of loading on the steering joints, any slack and there is a shimmie. SuperBeetle wheel alignment is EVERYTHING, when our cars perishable parts get old, the optimum wheel alignment changes as you drive.

Pinpointing one component and replacing it may feel like it's sorted- but it may not go the distance and/or something else will go really bad as a result.

Matt
Old September 28th 2006, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKab View Post
Is your suspension modified?
no, it's a bare stocker with only a gia brake disc system.

Quote:
Any play in the steering?
no, not even a 1/2",,,but the steeing is too hard but tight indeed, so i can live with this problem, and the small steering wheel also causes so...
but however there is somthing strange during steering; first, it does not automaticly turn straight after taking a turn,,, second, i feel some points in the steering radius wich feels like "stop points", but it continue after this points, 1 or 2 points per side steering...

Quote:
What was your wheel alignment set to? The stock wheel alignment settings require everything be in A1 condition, wheel camber zero crossing during driving will change the loading/direction of loading on the steering joints, any slack and there is a shimmie. SuperBeetle wheel alignment is EVERYTHING, when our cars perishable parts get old, the optimum wheel alignment changes as you drive.
a few weeks ago, i do the wheel alignment and wheel rotating(outside the car), the problem disapeared dramatically but it's still there, only at turns as i said ...
i didn't change any bushings or any part in the front from +3 years ago, but i will when there's nothing else solve it...

Michael
Old September 28th 2006, 16:44

I wouldn't drive it like that.. Those 'notches' in the steering sound like a universal joint of the lower steering shaft galling/freezing up. Get it fixed mate. That is unlikely to be your whole problem like I said.
Old September 28th 2006, 18:42

Quote:
Those 'notches' in the steering sound like a universal joint of the lower steering shaft galling/freezing up
sorry but i'm not so good in english and i don't know what is this part exactly, and where it is located, plz i need any pics or more details about it.

Quote:
That is unlikely to be your whole problem like I said.
sorry, but as i said i'm not so good in english so i don't know what do you mean by that, do u mean that this is could be my "main" problem of hard steering and notches and maybe my shimmie too,, or it's not?
i'm so sorry for my questions but i said before that you ppl here and on shoptalkforums are my only reference of my bug.
thank's for your help...

Michael
Old September 28th 2006, 21:05

Your English is as good as mine. This is what I think is bad on your steering: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....D415%2D951%2DB If you have not tried to adjust the steering box...? Don't do that by the way.

I believe you have other problems.

There is almost no place on Earth where nobody is familiar with Bugs, try to find an oldtimer mechanic if you need some help.

Matt

Last edited by MattKab; September 28th 2006 at 21:11.