GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 21st 2011, 00:46

Hi

With the ball joint extension picture that Wally just posted they could be made to make the fitting of the 944 stubs easier instead of using an adaptor bush.

On another tangent. Real weight gains could be made with a 3 bolt set-up using molly lower control arms, those cast lower control arms weigh quiet a lot.

Steve
Old October 21st 2011, 02:41
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

With the ball joint extension picture that Wally just posted they could be made to make the fitting of the 944 stubs easier instead of using an adaptor bush.

On another tangent. Real weight gains could be made with a 3 bolt set-up using molly lower control arms, those cast lower control arms weigh quiet a lot.

Steve
We never use adaptor bushes, just buy the german ball joints thats what those are in the pics, id never trust a bush.
Old October 21st 2011, 03:43

another way of doing it would be to use a spherical bearing rather than a ball joint in the outter end of the tca. that way you can then use a shaft to attach to the strut. this shaft can then be made adjustable in hieght so you can set it up to what ever ride hieght you want. this is commen practice on many rally/race cars. yes a spherical joint might be a bit much for a road car and wont last as long as a ball joint but it works and is very strong.
this is on a golf but uses the same idea
Old October 21st 2011, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by typ4boy View Post
We never use adaptor bushes, just buy the german ball joints thats what those are in the pics, id never trust a bush.
Great 2 problems solved in one, much better than the adaptor bush
Old October 21st 2011, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Thanks Bruce, that is EXACTLY what i meant! Not sure if possible with new arms from Lee, but if there would be a way to incorporate the extension, then that would make it an extra selling point and I would want a set now as I am contemplating extension possibilities at the moment.

The higher up mounting on the inside is theoretically a sound alternative, but the arm is already on the high hole of the mounting (as original) with '74-> suspension and higher is fysically not possible there..

Whats the weight difference with stock arms Lee? Seems like it would be hard to shed weight on the original design, but would be happy to be proven wrong of course! It would be nice if the extra weight of the extension(s) - which would be heavy - could be made up some by lighter arms!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas07056 View Post
A pic from my first front suspension
Quote:
Right o iam with you all now wally you cant believe the weight difference between the two moly is so light . so what we need is higher ball joint end ????
I agree with all of that and Rob's compression strut. But just to add my 2p worth; I don't feel comfortable with the butt joints either side of the anti-roll bar bush housing that will be weaker than the plain tube. The TCA has really only an axial load (horizontal for most of the time) so the tube can be light. But the antiroll bar exerts a bending moment at the point of the bush within the bar. Add in the fatigue factor of many load applications and it does seem weak although no figures have been applied. The solution would be to take the bush out of the centreline of the TCA - put it above or below with a speader to prevent local distortion. Put it below and it realigns the anti-roll bar towards a standard geometry. However, put it above the TCA and you have reduced the pitch forward, creating more anti-dive. Classically, you would have done this by dropping the pivots down on a strut car but there is nothing stopping the other end going up instead. You can't drop the anti-roll bar bushes down because of ground clearance issues on a lowered car.

Is that logic correct?

Clive
Old October 21st 2011, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
What about adjustable/excentrical mounts at the top of the shock towers instead? Imho that would give you more adjustability and stability.Those are available for Golf MK2 and they fit on the 02/03 also don´t they?
Already do these versions just about to make them adjustable next little project.
Old October 21st 2011, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
I agree with all of that and Rob's compression strut. But just to add my 2p worth; I don't feel comfortable with the butt joints either side of the anti-roll bar bush housing that will be weaker than the plain tube. The TCA has really only an axial load (horizontal for most of the time) so the tube can be light. But the antiroll bar exerts a bending moment at the point of the bush within the bar. Add in the fatigue factor of many load applications and it does seem weak although no figures have been applied. The solution would be to take the bush out of the centreline of the TCA - put it above or below with a speader to prevent local distortion. Put it below and it realigns the anti-roll bar towards a standard geometry. However, put it above the TCA and you have reduced the pitch forward, creating more anti-dive. Classically, you would have done this by dropping the pivots down on a strut car but there is nothing stopping the other end going up instead. You can't drop the anti-roll bar bushes down because of ground clearance issues on a lowered car.

Is that logic correct?

Clive
This is a PROTOTYPE it is not the finished article , i love the way some people always got plenty to say about others work like oh iam not happy about butt joints. just give it some time the finished article will work and will not be sold until its had a right good hammering on our test cars, unlike some folks that spend all there time on internet forums i drive my cars to the limit on the road and try to brake every thing we do way before it goes public. rant over, The finished product will be bigger od tube and one piece with an incert for the antiroll bar rather than butt welds also will have diamond shape strength plates top and bottom.
Old October 22nd 2011, 05:57

Regardless of what people think or prefer,I´m sure you´ve given your products a lot of thought and sounds like you wouldn´t sell anything without trying it out and giving your approval first.It´s good to see that another person is offering quality products to the acvw community! Keep it up!

Mark
Old October 22nd 2011, 06:14

Yeah, I would REALLY like to try this new tca on my car for the new TimeAttack2012 season. Which starts BTW already in march Lee, so get on with it!
Old October 22nd 2011, 06:26

Quote:
Yeah, I would REALLY like to try this new tca on my car for the new TimeAttack2012 season. Which starts BTW already in march Lee, so get on with it!
There is nothing more id like than for you to have a set on MYTH BUSTER, proof of the pudding as we say.
Old October 22nd 2011, 10:12

Quote:
There is nothing more id like than for you to have a set on MYTH BUSTER, proof of the pudding as we say.
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for some testing/prototyping.A high speed 400+bhp test bed (relatively heavy even) under race conditions.Can´t get any better than that.And if he takes the win,you can always say it was due to your parts
Old October 26th 2011, 08:47

Quote:
This is a PROTOTYPE it is not the finished article , i love the way some people always got plenty to say about others work like oh iam not happy about butt joints. just give it some time the finished article will work and will not be sold until its had a right good hammering on our test cars, unlike some folks that spend all there time on internet forums i drive my cars to the limit on the road and try to brake every thing we do way before it goes public. rant over, The finished product will be bigger od tube and one piece with an incert for the antiroll bar rather than butt welds also will have diamond shape strength plates top and bottom.
I confirm you did say this was a protype and you had some reinforcing to do but by posting the photo you invited comments - perhaps I should have said that its the most wonderful piece of fabrication that I have ever seen? If you had bothered to read my full comments you will see that it revolved around the load applications on TCAs that I also invited (instructive) comments on. Forums are about debate not sycophanic praise and I for one am fully aware that anything I post may be the subject of unflattering comment.

I thoroughly enjoy the debates on this forum as it attracts very knowledgable people in intelligent discussion - long may it be so.

BTW I too drive my ideas and am more than prepared to admit mistakes and change anything if doesn't work out. Unfortunately, my interest in cars and engineering has to take third place to my business and family commitments so I don't get the time to produce as much as I could.
Old November 16th 2011, 12:06

Just finished our new late model vented deck lid available in carbon and grp here is a carbon one, factory style fixings for the hinges, drill your steel ones off and rivet to carbon/grp...............

Now all we got to do is finish the door molds then its carbon doors folks.
Old November 16th 2011, 14:28

Wow! verry nice!

BTW, when are the front control arms ready Lee?
I need a pair asap for coming TimeAttack season ;-)
Old November 16th 2011, 14:44

Quote:
Wow! verry nice!

BTW, when are the front control arms ready Lee?
I need a pair asap for coming TimeAttack season ;-)
I no mate ill do my best but i have a lot of full on cars to build aswell, here is the prototype one on , once we finish the front end build on this car we will have the final ones done and ready for sale , want to get them right mate...