GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 13th 2006, 23:09

'73 SB with 1302 front susp.

hello,

my appologies, i know this all has been beaten to death, but i could really use the help

just bought my first super beetle about a month ago and im looking for some guidance. my bug has a production date of 6/73 but it still has the old style front suspension. im looking to upgrade in some way, need to know what needs to be changed out to use the later style struts. im thinking about going with a porsche setup, but im not sure if i want to go 924 or 944.

i have a friend with 3 early 80's 924 and was thinking of getting some stuff off one of his parts cars, what can i use? struts, brakes, spindles? would i be able to use the r/p off the 924 instead of my steering box?

my plan is for a german look, subaru powered (my other love), daily driver. i drive 50+ miles to and from work mostly on the freeway, and i want something sporty but not kidney jarring.

any input would be greatly apprieciated
thanks in advance
ryan
Old July 15th 2006, 18:58

Hi, Welcome!

The 924 doesn't really have much to offer you, really. The strut housing is a late 1303 part, the stub-axle may have the positive camber problem same as 944, I haven't tried it myself. The brakes are more powerful, slightly. The bolt pattern is like half the European and Jap small cars, so near infinite wheel options are there- for small wheels like 15*6 because of the coil spring diameter. The rear drum/trailing arm is basically T1 with the 100mm (?check) PCD If you want to lower it aswell, it probably isn't worth it IMO. It's hardly even an upgrade. It's a bloody shame the strut top bearings are different

It will have nice VDO guages including a 4cyl tacho, seats maybe?, seat belts, the electronic wash/wipe relay can't be too hard, it's standard on my '79, etc.

The 'rack is just wrong I think. Porsche spindles need the track-rod end inverting.

I'd be getting the complete K-lambda FI if it has it. Awesome stuff for your ACVW motor

Cheap is good but if it's not right, the right part just got more expensive. Hope that helps

Matt

Last edited by MattKab; July 15th 2006 at 19:02.