GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 13th 2009, 01:05

Where do you have your oil cooler?

Looking at where to mount a oilcooler on a standard.

Where do you have your oil cooler? How is it mounted? What type?

My super had a Mesa 96plate up front behind the louvers.

Pete
Old April 13th 2009, 03:22

Same location of course (its THE place for it, sorta created by the factory), but I use a simple second-hand alu mercedes transmission cooler: those are long (wide) and not too high, so its a perfect fit.

Its attached to some original holes in the edges of the front chassis head with two 'brackets' left and right, Very simple and not much too look at, but works for 20-some years now
Old April 13th 2009, 03:47
Administrator

I like the single Setrab Fanpack under the package tray. The Setrab is very small but works better than the 96 plate messa. You can port air to it with a duct. We used one on the Herbie X. I can't find a good picture of it as it is hidden by the A/C cond. unit.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 13th 2009, 09:58

Oil Cooler Location

I have built a cold air box in the package tray. I use a high-tek B&M oil cooler with built in fan and thermostate. The box takes cold air from the fender whells and exhausts out the bottom of the package tray.

I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures.

I use -8 an lines from the engine to a Oberg filter and then through a thermostat to the cooler and back to the engine.

This configuration allows plenty of room under the package tray for the Kafer Cup brace

I have run this setup in 105deg summer weather here in Boise and never had any problems
Old April 14th 2009, 04:43

I am using a Type4 cooler in an aluminiumn housing I made and it's fitted behind the LHR wheel.I milled a piece of 20mm thick aluminium with O ring holes to take the standard VW seals and threaded it to take JIC fittings.I used a sandwich plate under the oil filter and made 2 short hoses to hook it up.I modified a Kombi heater assist fan and mounted it above the LH side drive shaft and it's wired into my ECU to start at 105C.I am using a Porsche fan in a Sharpbuilt shroud with the OG oil cooler in the original position and it doesn't supply enough air to the cooler.This now works very well and it's compact and out of the way

Last edited by nbturbo; April 14th 2009 at 06:44.
Old April 14th 2009, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Same location of course (its THE place for it, sorta created by the factory), but I use a simple second-hand alu mercedes transmission cooler: those are long (wide) and not too high, so its a perfect fit.

Its attached to some original holes in the edges of the front chassis head with two 'brackets' left and right, Very simple and not much too look at, but works for 20-some years now
Hi Wally,

DO you have any pictures of this cooler or a model/part number?
Old April 14th 2009, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzvw View Post
Hi Wally,

DO you have any pictures of this cooler or a model/part number?
No, sorry; I used to tear them out of breaker yards. They are located right next to the water radiator and are vertically positioned next to it.

They are from Behr and came in most older 'S' models (seventies, eighties) and/or '/8 models'. I believe some BMW models had an even larger model of the same cooler.
Ahnendorp sells the fittings to connect the M22x1,5 (?) connections to a 1/2 inch hose.

Hope that helped some,
Walter
Old April 14th 2009, 08:14

It has helped, thanks.

Plenty of those models still in breakers yards over here, so will check it out sometime
Old April 14th 2009, 21:45

Single Setrab under the package shelf mounted at an angle, I can run the engine at 4k RPM in 90 degree weather on the freeway with no problem in my beetle. It is a bit of a tight fit between the cup brace, transmission and axle but works well.

Sorry do not have pictures.
Old April 15th 2009, 00:30

Here's my setup on the race car which may work on a street car. Oil cooler is a Perma-cool Maxicool unit, 10.5" x 14" x 3.75" including the 900 cfm fan. I'm running 1/2" lines and -8 fittings on everything. The oil cooler sits in a custom frame of aluminum angle that bolts to the body and has a brace underneath to a stud on the block. There is a thermostat inline to turn on the fan and a manual override switch in the dash. For a street car you could run a smaller one that would fit better behind the wheel.

Old April 15th 2009, 01:40

Thanks for the info/pics.

I have what looks like to be a Mercedes oil cooler. Made couple brackets to attach the cooler to the beam/pan bolts. The in/out fitting of the cooler are really close to the beam so i will try to figure out a 90deg fitting that will allow it to attach to the oil cooler(M14) and end up in a -8AN/JIC.

I'll try to get pics up soon.

Pete
Old April 28th 2009, 19:28

Right now I have a WIX 51773 oil cooler with a heatsink wrapped around it in the rear driver wheel well, I will probably move it and put my big oil cooler there, similar to what humble has done. Except, I don't really need the cooler unless I've been doing 80 MPH down the freeway for sometime and suddenly have to sit and idle, otherwise I never even see 220 degree oil, and I run synthetic, so I'm not terribly worried, but Summer is coming! The car already uses 7 quarts of oil, and adding a cooler will only make it hold more, an oil change costs over $50 and I do it myself and get a discount, crazy beetle...
Old April 28th 2009, 21:20

Same cooler and location as Yellow73 (and same year/model, and original color by chance), with the same results. Zero cooling issues. I don't think I have ever even broken 215F. Setrab's are expensive coolers, but damn they work well.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 29th 2009, 02:29

I've mounted the oil cooler up front. Modified my mounts and flipped it around so the fittings are facing forwards. It was looking like the fittings would hit the steering box and beam. Waiting for the PARKER Hydraulics salesman to figure out how to get the M22 oil cooler, to a -8AN. We'll see what he can come up with.

If i don't like were this is heading, i may go for a Setrab as Nigel and Zen have setup. I'll need some pics, if going that route. The Setrab may save me money, as plumbing the cooler up front with sexy AN stainless fittings/hose is not cheap.

Pete
Old April 29th 2009, 05:53
Administrator

They make an M22 to -8AN fitting with "O" ring seals. I have bought them from Hyd. Supply here. They can be had in St. or 90 deg.
I like the Setrab single fan pack due to the fact that it is very small, easy to fit under the package tray and cools as well as coolers 3 times the size. We have used them on many customer cars.
When My car hits the street again it will have the 3rd gen RX7 cooler up front because already I have one, it had a built in thermostat and it is huge. But i don't think it will cool much better than the Setrab single with a fan.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe