GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old June 24th 2009, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom'72 View Post
Made an aluminium schroud for the rad and an air ducts under de front that's powered by a linear actuator ( when the car will be standing still and the air ducts is closed it will be tucked away behind the front apron).
I had the same idea, but spring loaded. When the car is stopped the spring would pull it up, as you speed up the airflow causes pressure, it would pop down and scoop up more air. It's good because slow travel is where you expect to hit curbs and dips, not high speed.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old June 25th 2009, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
I had the same idea, but spring loaded. When the car is stopped the spring would pull it up, as you speed up the airflow causes pressure, it would pop down and scoop up more air. It's good because slow travel is where you expect to hit curbs and dips, not high speed.

Jason
That's a great idea, never thought of that.

Quote:
The only thing I don't like is that steering wheel
it's not something you see on a bug often but it really got my attention on ebay and I figure it will fit nicely with all the other parts but if I don't like it or its not safe to drive it will be replaced.
Old June 25th 2009, 17:10

[QUOTE=tom'72;70324]That's a great idea, never thought of that.QUOTE]

I forgot to mention it would have stops, cable lengths(fine stainless steel), that would be the bottom throw. Without the stops the springs would just continue to stretch. I was thinking ABS sheet would be good as it would be able to handle the occasional beating and still be lightweight. The cables being flexible would allow for some sort of big shunt without breakage that a solid stop or your actuator would probably succumb to.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 25th 2009, 17:41

Quote:
I forgot to mention it would have stops, cable lengths(fine stainless steel), that would be the bottom throw. Without the stops the springs would just continue to stretch. I was thinking ABS sheet would be good as it would be able to handle the occasional beating and still be lightweight. The cables being flexible would allow for some sort of big shunt without breakage that a solid stop or your actuator would probably succumb to.

Jason
Hmmm. Thought about doing it the other way around so that it would be impact resistant with springs. So if you would hit a speed bump (lots of those in my neighborhood) or something like that, it would fold up and then pop open again. (bit tricky with the hinge placement, but could work) Would work as an indicator too, if you hear scraping then you have a few cm to go. With a stainless or titanium strip instead of all aluminum. But that opening at higher speeds is a really interesting idea...... Might use that idea instead, if you don't mind of course.

Sorry for the thread highjack....
Old June 26th 2009, 04:58

This is what i like about this site - innovation and engineering. Keep it up Guys!

Clive
Old June 27th 2009, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by excello View Post
Hmmm. Thought about doing it the other way around so that it would be impact resistant with springs. So if you would hit a speed bump (lots of those in my neighborhood) or something like that, it would fold up and then pop open again. (bit tricky with the hinge placement, but could work) Would work as an indicator too, if you hear scraping then you have a few cm to go. With a stainless or titanium strip instead of all aluminum. But that opening at higher speeds is a really interesting idea...... Might use that idea instead, if you don't mind of course.

Sorry for the thread highjack....
I think you might have missed the point of the springs, they would keep the scoop UP so you wouldn't hit speedbumps!!!

Then they would allow the scoop to drop down as air pressure forced the scoop open, then the cable stops would limit the complete travel to a predetermined drop.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 28th 2009, 07:00

Haha, no I did get the point of the springs and all that. I was approaching the problem from another angle. Your system gives you a scoop when you need it because you get up to speed. (tom's too because he hits a switch) I was thinking I need a scoop, period. But trying to figuring out how to get it out of the way when I near a speed bump. I wanted to weld one on but then thought that might be a problem. I did think about linear actuators but thought it would be over-engineering and a pain to hit that switch every time I see a speed bump. I never thought about the fact that there are moments that I don't need a scoop, accept when it might get in the way. That's why I had a 'slap on the forehead' moment because I never thought of driving around slowly with a closed scoop. Yeah, I get bedazzled by my own 'creative' solutions sometimes so I don't see the simple problems anymore. It all does sound silly if you read it like this.....
Old June 28th 2009, 09:12

Hi

I really love your car.

I made a really nice fixed alloy scoop for my old WBX bug, didn't last long so used what was left as a base and screwed a sacrificial plastic part in its place.

On the back of my radiator I copied what VW/Audi did on many water cooled cars, fitted rubber flaps on the back of the radiator.

At speed, forward air pressure pushes them away for more airflow over a wider surface, when the fan came on the flaps got sucked shut and the fan only sucked cool air in from the front of the radiator.

Steve
Old July 1st 2009, 14:58

Got a few friends together today and put the body back on the pan and the roll cage in. Rear end still needs to drop about 2 inches but will have to see how deep it will "squat" under accelleration first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zwart 1 kl.JPG (59.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg zwart 2 kl.JPG (59.1 KB, 73 views)
Old July 1st 2009, 19:35
Administrator

Very nice. Slick and black. Got-a Love it.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 1st 2009, 20:32

Amazing!!! Starting to remind me of Hugovw1976's monster!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old July 2nd 2009, 14:01

Thumbs up

Where did you get your roll cage?

Love your car!

Randy
Old July 2nd 2009, 15:52

Very nice car! the wheels look wicked. BBS LM's right?
Old July 3rd 2009, 09:11

Bought the roll cage from a guy that had it as a spare way back in his garage, was pretty cheap, don't know hat brand it is.

Wheels are indeed BBS Le Mans.
Old July 13th 2009, 13:59

Got some more work done to it (most doesn't show in the pics)
Others news, picked up a Porsche G50 5-speed gearbox today that had already been mashined down (28MM off of the belhousing) so it's a bit shorter and easier to cram in the bug's chassis.