GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old August 25th 2009, 17:53

CB's Dry Sump Pump

A quick question for you GURU's out there in bug land, if I use the CB Dry Sump System in T4 would I have to do any clearing or is it just a bolt on? Any body has any problems with there CB Dry Sump Pump and what PSI does yours operate at / at what RPM??

The pump gears on mine in my T4 seems to score the alumium cover is this the norm or do it neeed some clearance? I pulled apart my pump to check for anything out of the normal and found mild scoring on pump cover.

Thanks in Advance
Old August 26th 2009, 10:36
Administrator

Laurie,

My pump was a bolt in, but I had to clearance the drive tang on the rear of the pump a little bit to match the slot in my cam gear. The oil passages in the pump and the case do not line up 100%, so I 'massaged' it a bit with a dremel.

Cold OP was about 60 psi on startup, hot OP was about 40 psi at 3000 rpm.

Sandeep
Old August 26th 2009, 11:24

The gasket is what provides any clearance or free-play in the oil pumps. If you remove the gasket you should feel almost zero play fore and aft when pushing/pulling on the drive tang. LIGHT scoring is normal.

Alex
Old August 26th 2009, 17:48

The gasket is in so clearance should not be an issue, I do have light scoring so that is normal. When I had in my 96 plate cooler in the front of the car my pressures where 20-30psi. When I moved the cooler to the back instead it was a little better. I removed the 96 plate cooler and ran the oil lines straight from the sump tank to the inlet of the pump and and I had crazy pressures. For every thousand RPM I was getting 10 PSI. Example: 5000 RPM = 50 PSI / 3000 RPM = 30 PSI. To me this means that my cooler had a block somewhere. I then installed an RX7 cooler and installed it because I read on different post that this was the way to go to get better performance and cooling. I installed the RX7 cooler and when I measured my pressures, I got 4000 RPM it was 35 ish RPM. My mind is now set on the RX7 cooler and will be keeping it in the car after I install a couple of fans for it. I will be removing the thermostat from the messa because the RX7 cooler has an inline thermostat.

I will also check the the Tang because I didn't do any clearing for the drive Tang on the rear of the pump a little bit to match the slot in my cam gear.

I really hope this will solve part1 of my issues.

Sandeep at start my pressure was not even close to 60 PSI, is that the norm, is mine too low? At idle I was getting 20 - 23 PSI's..........Hmmmmmmmm
Old August 26th 2009, 18:05

On my setup I've been having trouble with the pump sealing against the case and a small leak. I've been told to use honda-bond sealant from honda for this but haven't tried it yet. I believe you do need to clearance the drive pin for the pump for a type 4 but I haven't done it myself. Pressure wise I get 25-30 psi cold at idle, and 15-20psi hot at idle. Higher up when hot I get 55-60psi at 7500rpm which is pretty good. It's pushing through a double filter and a 10"x15" oil cooler before running back to the tank without issue too.
Old August 27th 2009, 12:04

Thanks for all the voices you where all a big help, I do have a better understanding now and what to expect. My results were very similar to Humble and I will get the Tang clearance for the drive pin pump done. As far as the leaks from the CB Pump I had a very small drip from the cover of the pump. I used a very thin layer of regular black high temp. silicone sealant. If you want something that's going to hold for ever and have no sealing/leaking issues then try "The Right Stuff" I was told that it is the bomb