GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 16th 2009, 07:18

Meterial for Cylinders

Hi everyone, I trying to choose a very good Aluminum for having some cylinders made. The Aluminum material has to be able to keep its shape, does not gall on a mill cutter and transfer heat quite will. O and also be able to have it coated for Nikisil plating.

Next does Reynolds Aluminum sell small amounts, such as enough for about 20 cylinder?

Lastly, in the US please, I'd prefer in Southern California.
Old September 16th 2009, 08:33

Iwas going to do the same, untill I did the math. Milling time blasting the fins to improve airflow hardness treatment, and the cost of plating and machining. So I just got them from L&N engineering. Let some one do the hard work. sometimes doing yourself is not that feasible in both time and expence.if cost is issue there are some cast barrels made by some of the Euorpean manufactures that have proven themselves over years of testing and R&D
Old September 16th 2009, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubzack View Post
Iwas going to do the same, untill I did the math. Milling time blasting the fins to improve airflow hardness treatment, and the cost of plating and machining. So I just got them from L&N engineering. Let some one do the hard work. sometimes doing yourself is not that feasible in both time and expence.if cost is issue there are some cast barrels made by some of the Euorpean manufactures that have proven themselves over years of testing and R&D
Hi, thanks for the reply. I plan to go the distance and have my own done, by doing so I can have a extra one made just in case.

Some of the steps you mention, I plan to side step. I had hoped for some meterial number ending in a T-6, ect. The steps the machinst will take, must leave his maching area done smoothly. I will contact US Chrome and ask what finish will be exceptable. I think for the same 2300 LN sell for I can get more bang for my buck, ah I hope