GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 10th 2006, 15:41

VR6 Motor mid-engine mounted...

Hi all, I am currently designing the plans to transplant a 98 GTI VR6 Motor/tranny/etc. into a 69-70 standard beetle. After the initial swap is installed, the turbo & assoc. parts will be installed.

My questions to the guru's are:

Has there been a mid engine vr6 transplanted in a beetle yet? If so, any photos would be of great help...

I am in need of "blueprint" diagrams of 69-70 beetles, side and top views of the floor pan (like that of floor plans of homes) etc. Measurements are a plus as well...

I plan on welding in a custom rear box tube set up integrating subframes, a arms and custom suspension set up, etc.

Any info/pics/diagrams would be a great help... I want to get my ducks in a row, before I go ahead with the project.

please reply to: dave@davidephotos.com w/info/pics etc.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave
dave@davidephotos.com
Old July 10th 2006, 17:09

The closest thing I've seen is Jason's project. Its a 1.8 but all principles should apply.
Look at this thread http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4697 .

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old July 10th 2006, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIMAN99
Hi all, I am currently designing the plans to transplant a 98 GTI VR6 Motor/tranny/etc. into a 69-70 standard beetle. After the initial swap is installed, the turbo & assoc. parts will be installed.

My questions to the guru's are:

Has there been a mid engine vr6 transplanted in a beetle yet? If so, any photos would be of great help...

I am in need of "blueprint" diagrams of 69-70 beetles, side and top views of the floor pan (like that of floor plans of homes) etc. Measurements are a plus as well...

I plan on welding in a custom rear box tube set up integrating subframes, a arms and custom suspension set up, etc.

Any info/pics/diagrams would be a great help... I want to get my ducks in a row, before I go ahead with the project.

please reply to: dave@davidephotos.com w/info/pics etc.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave
dave@davidephotos.com

Are you putting the GTI subframe in or are you fabricating your own suspension? My pan is leaning up against my garage wall so if you need any specific measurements let me know. It is a 71 but should be the same as the model you are after.

Mike

http://www.Type1R.com
Old July 11th 2006, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVW
Are you putting the GTI subframe in or are you fabricating your own suspension? My pan is leaning up against my garage wall so if you need any specific measurements let me know. It is a 71 but should be the same as the model you are after.

Mike
Awesome, if you could take pics, and in paint shop draw measurements on it like width every 3 ft front to back and width points etc. legnth from back of seat brackets to fire wall, and from axle center to back of the front seat brackets etc...

I plan on welding up a corrado or MK3 GTI vr6 subframe and using A2 a arms, custom susp. mounts, and front coilovers... I started drafting some plans, but they are nothing w/o measurements...

I am also in the process of building a show/restored (bare metal) A2 3.0L vr6turbo gti, smoothed/dewired/decoolanted/depiped bay, alcantara interior (rado dash, Recaro SRD's) etc, etc... so my attention is being pulled in multiple directions...

Thanks guys!

Dave
Old July 11th 2006, 14:12

I'm probably your man here. The VR6 will fit no trouble. It'll get a little tight on the passenger side between the pulleys and the inner fender well, but it'll work. I made a jig for the whole thing, but my wheels are not quite centered in the wheel wells, so I'd recommend doing your own. The buildup thread is pretty complete I think. The problem may be using the subframe. You see, the suspension geometry that exists is setup for front end drive, and this will obviously be rear end. What I might suggest is where I think mine will end up, some sort of trailing arm like a 3 series BMW and then using just the front pivot on the subframe.

Mine is all bolt in, this has never been done before as far as I know, so if your welding it will be much easier. Some other guys that did the weld in approach but never got it finished was http://www.centralvwaudi.com click on updates then Joes pics and it will take you to links to their buildup. There is a lot of trial and error, and I can only speak to my experiences. I'm not a fabricator and my design is completely my own, but I think it is sound and hopefully it will work. If you have any questions, feel free to ask on here or you can email me at volkdent@sonic.net.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 17th 2009, 17:38

Hi guys,

Has anything come of these two VR6 projects? I know this thread is probably dead but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Are there any links to more information on your projects? Anyone looking to transplant a vr6 into a bug would benefit greatly from your experiences.

Thanks.