GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old April 20th 2006, 16:06

CV joints, how much is enough?

Ok peeps,

I have just 'rebuild' my 1303's CV joints(havent used any new parts though, so I suppose you can only say that I have taken them apart and cleaned them). I have cleaned off all of the rust(and pitting caused) that was under the worn out powder coating on the shafts. They are receiving a slap of paint tomorrow. The CVs have been taken apart, washed off all the old grease, cleaned out the the rubber boots and reassembled. Now I have put them back together and need to put some CV joint grease back in...., but just how much is enough/too little? Advice/help is appreciated as usual!

BTW, was that an experience for you!? About 13 years ago from my high school days, I remember a mate of mine, his dad did mechanics from home. One day he stuffed a taken apart CV into my hands and said:"Try and put this together ". Well, I couldnt figure that batard out! So I knew that it could be a tricky afair. The first one took my about 10-15 VERY FRUSTRATING minutes to figured out and back together. I was so chuffed!!! Until I found that hte CV is not actually moving. So I took an old one for comparison. Good golly! I figured out why it doesnt move..., but then to take that batard apart again was yet again a feat. After another 5 frustrating minutes, it was apart. Finally got it back together again too see it work in full motion!!!!! Result! So the other three folowed afterwards. Now I can take one apart, and reassemble it within 5 minutes. Cool! Just wondered if anyone else was frustrated by these little things before?
Old April 20th 2006, 21:57

Yah CVs suck! Dirty and difficult.

Get a boot kit which has the new bolts and cv grease tube.

Use a whole tube for 1 CV. So you need 4 small tubes.

Good luck!
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 24th 2006, 06:47

I just bought new ones in a kit as wel, was 38 euro's a piece and no need to fiddle with the CV heads that way.
Old July 29th 2006, 14:11
vwdevotee

Rule of thumb: If you can take your CVs apart, and then put them back together by hand, they need to be replaced. Feel a new CV, they are really tight, they are put together by machine. When you can do it by hand it means there is a lot of slop in them.
Old July 29th 2006, 15:22

Just put the CV's as full with grease as you can. And yes if your turn over the several pieces of the cv to the right way, you can build them up by hand.

WIebrand

p.s. I talk about cv-joints of an 1303 axle.
Old July 30th 2006, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdevotee
Rule of thumb: If you can take your CVs apart, and then put them back together by hand, they need to be replaced.
That's total crap. Sloppy CV joints will live hundreds of thousands of miles just fine.
Old August 28th 2006, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2
That's total crap. Sloppy CV joints will live hundreds of thousands of miles just fine.
behind a 44 or 50 hp engine...
Old August 29th 2006, 00:59

When you do put the CVs back together! The slots make a X make sure they dont make //....It will blow shortly if parralell.