GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 20th 2006, 18:43

lowering my super?

hi,

i have a questions about lowering my super. ok here goes these are the struts im useingthese http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...007434/c-10110
i dont plan on getting new springs but everything elese will be new. my concern iis that my stock springs have been cut 1" should this make a diferance in my lowering quality. thanks
Old July 20th 2006, 19:15

I have never heard of cut springs being good for anything in any application. Are you sure you can't get the springs, too?
Old July 20th 2006, 20:13

the whole cash flow isnt wokin for me so i was trying to salvage the stockers but i have some worn out springs off my old race car but it was a 74 my bug now is a 73
Old July 20th 2006, 21:04

since ur going to get adjustable struts dont over do it with the strut, because the spring doesnt have the same properties (its softer due to reduced spirals) thus your suspension can bottom out easier.
I could say if you want it slammed (lower setting) go for one notch higher and try it.

IMO cutting your springs is a cheap sollution, but if carried out correctly, it can be a "safe" one as well. I cant find the article right now, but from what i remember it said that u must make a new end for the spring plate to attach to. ie cut one hole turn measuring from the first helical point and not the end of the spring... hope u understand what im saying...

Ive got a 73 1303 (3 bolt) with stock wheel/tire combo atm and all i can say is that is sharp and responsive, a bit bumpy, but it never understeers even in a decreasing radius turn or hairpin. Ive fitted KYB "black" inserts, eibach 4cm shorter springs urethane bushings and a strut brace that makes a big difference.

summary: go for lowered springs and try not to use the cut down springs due to their unknown characteristics and propably improper abilities...
I would wait a bit for some cash to come and fit everything at once

just my 2 cents

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old July 20th 2006, 21:22

thanks 1303 my car too is sharp and very easy to turn it scares me sometimes especally at high speeds. also im fixing to buy 18x8 porsche twists with low profile tires how much will i be able to lwer my car with these rims on it? and i know this has been asked before but will they fit with no mods to the car except getting wider fenders.

thanks guys

Last edited by bow; July 20th 2006 at 23:20.
Old July 21st 2006, 10:18

to be honest i have no idea about how much you could lower with 18x8. Im going the same with 18x8f and 18x10r coilovers and 996 rotors with M030 calipers on 944 spindles and for the rear same combo on alu late 944 turbo trailing arms and coilovers as well. I will figure out lowering amount and required fender width once everything is on the car
at the simplest conversion you would just need spacer/adaptors to match the 130x5 to the 130x4 pcd. but then your springs would foul on the rims, so the only option is to fit coilover front struts (for rims 7" width and more if im correct, but depending on wheel offset as well...). Then its a matter of your preferences. Using adapters on beetle brakes or going for a full on suspension/brake mod. it would be much more $$ but IMO a better solution. and by changing the spindles to 944 porsche items its easier to fit porsche brakes if you want without much hassle.

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL