GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old August 5th 2003, 16:13

streetworks upgrade

as my car has no electics whatso ever at the moment, I was thinking of fitting the streetworks vw modular wiring kit.

has anyone any experience of this kit?

project in progress
Old August 5th 2003, 20:38

Haven't used it, but I'm buying it.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old August 6th 2003, 09:34

i've heard it is a pain in the *** and not very well done. but the was from one person. nothing to truly judge by.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old August 8th 2003, 10:36

Hey Hot66,
I bought the kit from streetworks, and it was actually a good install. I mounted the fuse panel under the rear seat (driver's side) since i found little room under the hood for it (it's a really odd size: 4"x7"x4"tall).
I'd suggest to order more of the connectors (wire terminals) as some of them are unique to the quick disconnect plugs for the steering column harness/ dash. Also I used some stuff not included in the kit: heat shrink tubing (three different sizes); generic wire terminals(the crimp kind, I just pulled off the plastic part and soldered them on); barrier strips (fender harness, engine compartment harness, console harness, etc); a box of assorted rubber hole grommets; and a couple of spools of 16/18g wire in different colours (for other circuits: door solenoids, etc).
The kit is pretty good and fairly complete, it is awesome to have the wires labelled. The instructions are good, but I'd recomend making a couple of "working" copies (I spilled coffee on my one set of copies).
Take extra care when running the Right Rear Taillight wire since if you aren't carefull you'll end up 12" short (I just spliced in a section of extra wire).
Good luck, and if you have any problems when it comes time drop me a line.
Dave
Old February 23rd 2004, 16:49

Painless wire harness is the only way to go.
Old February 23rd 2004, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE
Hey Hot66,
I bought the kit from streetworks, and it was actually a good install. I mounted the fuse panel under the rear seat (driver's side) since i found little room under the hood for it (it's a really odd size: 4"x7"x4"tall).
I'd suggest to order more of the connectors (wire terminals) as some of them are unique to the quick disconnect plugs for the steering column harness/ dash. Also I used some stuff not included in the kit: heat shrink tubing (three different sizes); generic wire terminals(the crimp kind, I just pulled off the plastic part and soldered them on); barrier strips (fender harness, engine compartment harness, console harness, etc); a box of assorted rubber hole grommets; and a couple of spools of 16/18g wire in different colours (for other circuits: door solenoids, etc).
The kit is pretty good and fairly complete, it is awesome to have the wires labelled. The instructions are good, but I'd recomend making a couple of "working" copies (I spilled coffee on my one set of copies).
Take extra care when running the Right Rear Taillight wire since if you aren't carefull you'll end up 12" short (I just spliced in a section of extra wire).
Good luck, and if you have any problems when it comes time drop me a line.
Dave
JUst been on the phone to Streetworks & ordered the kit , should be with me in a couple of weeks, & then at the speed I work it should be fitted to the car in 2006

project in progress
Old February 23rd 2004, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot66
JUst been on the phone to Streetworks & ordered the kit , should be with me in a couple of weeks, & then at the speed I work it should be fitted to the car in 2006

I have the streetworks kit, its fairly easy (this is on a 74 super) just fallow the directions and plan things out before you do them. on some of the back tail lights i was short by a foot or so.
i did mount my fuse box in the trunk, i made a custom box that has a sliding door, its mounted on the glove box hump... remember this has a metal one (late super beetle) and not a carboard glove box.

some of the switches wont work, but most should, you will need to keep some of the relays (headlights yes).
Im sure you will have questions... dont hesitate to ask. to tell you the truth im not totaly done myself, but i have the main things wired to "run" just not all the bells and tweeters like gauges and some switches as i dont have a dash yet.

later
Jonathan