GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 1st 2003, 12:06

hey bry,

you going to bring your shiny big turbo to the show?
Old August 1st 2003, 12:07

hi,
See that my problem, I should put some kind of scoop on the decklid, but i dont like the look of it (too ricey) but i dont think i have any other choice, unless i can get my hands on a water/air intercooler, or even fabriacate one.
I was also considering grafting in an early 911, or even a 996 motorized decklid to scoop the air up.
Anyone have any ideas?
Bry

P.S. Pete, if its running, of course im going to take it
Old August 1st 2003, 15:00

Hey CLKWRK,

What do you think about taping some tufts of yarn over the roof, rear glass and decklid of you car and drive it on the highway with a friend video taping you? That would show us where the high and low pressure areas are back there to see where a duct that feeds the intercooler/oil cooler/air intake etc. would be best suited.

Or...

I have thought about the problem in the past and came to this possible solution (flawed as it may be). Follow me on this one...

On our decklids, we could have a Porsche Carrerra styled grill. Beneath the grill is an aluminum duct that has a rubber/foam weatherstrip around the edge so that when the decklid is shut, it fits tight against the intercooler. The intercooler is mounted horizontally in the engine bay ala 930 or any Porsche turbo.

You've got the 911 fan on your engine already that when the engine is running provides an incredible amount of airflow/vacuumn that assuming your firewall and rear engine seals are intact can only draw air through the grill on the decklid which has to pass through the intercooler. Thus assuring you of a good supply of air through the intercooler.

Now an argument may be that the pre-heated air fromthe intercooler which then gets used to "cool" the engine would be too hot and cause the engine to over-heat. I would guess that the system would still be able to do its cooling duties for the engine.

What thoughts do you have on this?

Thanks in advance

Kevin J Hale
Old August 1st 2003, 15:06

hi,

Those were my thoughts exactly, but if you think about it, no heat is really leaving the engine, just moved around, from intake air to the cylinders. But if you put an air/water intercooler, heat is remove out of the enire neigborhood of the engine.
Fitting an intercooler atop of my engine would mean cramming it between the firewall and the back of my shroud, about 10"x24"space.
I am also thinking of making a motorized decklid standoff for my ghia to spoil lift and act as an air scoop, a-la 996.

Bry
Old August 1st 2003, 15:20

Have you checked to see how much clearance you actually have between the top of the shroud and the decklid?

10"x24" would make for a Big intercooler for these engines!

One cool thing looking at www.paceproducts.co.uk would be to do a charge cooler which could be a little smaller than the air-to-air intercooler but packaging it may be a little more difficult.

We could do something like the CB Performance Carrera oil cooler set-up which used two small coolers up front to cool the oil. Instead, we could duct part of the air from the nostril vents (look at the duct run in your wheel well) from the duct before it takes the kink upward to a pair of small radiators/automotive heater cores or something that would cool the coolant that circulates through the chargecooler.

Or mount the radiator for the coolant underneath the vehicle if we could get good airflow (maybe with a fan for slow moving in traffic triggered by a coolant temp switch ), though using a front mounted system with copper tubing would disipate more heat I'd imagine.

What do you think?

I used to source parts like this for a company I used to work for that retrofit chargecoolers to early model Lotus Esprit Turbos.

That job sucked
Old August 1st 2003, 16:27

I don't know much about Ghia's so I could be way off here, but can't you build some kind of scoop *under* the car ?
Not sure how much ducting would be involved to do this though....
Of course another problem is getting rid of the hot air after it passes the intercooler....

Rob.
Old August 1st 2003, 16:34

Hi,

I am worried about the hot turbo, oil cooler, transmission, and engine turbine air. I need to get fresh air from the top of the car, not air that has already been used to cool something which is sent down under the car. I am thinking a scoop of some sort, only I dont like scoops I like nice clean lines.

Bry
Old August 1st 2003, 17:29

Hey Rob, I guess mounting the radiators for the chargecooling system under there wouldn't be a bad idea. It would be pretty well shielded from stones and stuff thrown from the tires.

According to our Australian contingent of turbo-charged VW enthusiasts. That's a place to get good airflow.

Hey CLKWRK, your last post spoke of needing cool air & shielding from turbo heat and such. Isn't your turbocharger and assorted plumbing located under the engine 'tin'? If the fan is sucking air through your intercooler, all you would get to it (the intercooler) would be cool air. You could relocate your intercooler behind the shroud's bulb and create the duct that feeds the intercooler from the grill on the decklid.

Get me your fax number and I'll send you some sketches of what I mean.

Kevin J Hale
Old August 5th 2003, 14:15

Hello,
Sorry I havent got a fax machine, email them to me if possible
Bry
Old August 6th 2003, 07:44

I'll see what I can do for you on that.

Kevin J Hale
Old August 6th 2003, 08:03

why don't you fit an air duct (clear)into the side rear window (would need to replace the glass with lexan or whatever) with hose running to the intercooler via a hole in the firewall? IMHO at lot more subtle than a scoop on the decklid

project in progress
Old August 6th 2003, 10:15

Hello,

I suppose that would work, but i am trying to keep the stock apearance, I would rather design a motorized decklid that could be raised and lowered via the gpo on my electromotive unit, that way whe the computer detects a hot condition, it will automatically adjust the decklid standoffs. It will be a little more work, but more slick. I could even shave the stock vents in my decklid and have it standoff as much as 3".

Bry
Old August 6th 2003, 18:20

I'm going to use a Liquid/Air IC as well. I'm pondering the idea of mounting it in the luggage compartment and using a motorcycle rad. as my heat exchanger, maybe mounted in the rear fender or under the luggage comp. I'd like to mount the IC in the engine bay, but I'm afraid of the heat factor.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones