GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 26th 2004, 09:40

Spindes, Welded Or Machined?

Does Anyone Know The Pros And Cons On Welded Spindles ( Welding Porsche And Beelte Spindles Together) Verses Having The Spindle And Hubs Machined For The 944 Brake Convertion? Does The Welded Vertion Push The Wheels Out To Match The Rear (with The 944 Rear Brakes), Does It Lower The Front Any?
does Anyone In The South East Have Experience In Machining The Hubs And Spindles (would Prefer Using Beetle Bearings)?
If Anyone Around The Upstate Of S.c. Wants A Pair Of 1983 Porsche 944 Trailing Arms, I Have A Spare Pair. Just Come And Get Them.
Thanks For Your Time,
Erwin
Old July 17th 2004, 22:13

hubs for bettle

hey steve, im in the process of doing a set rite now! should have them done with in the next two weeks as time permitted(kids and job get in way first) but should have time to do more soon as i have my first set figured out. set would use porsche outer with bettle inner. dont know what your time frame is like but will be glad to help after first set are done. thanks kyle
Old July 22nd 2004, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven erwin
Does Anyone Know The Pros And Cons On Welded Spindles ( Welding Porsche And Beelte Spindles Together) Verses Having The Spindle And Hubs Machined For The 944 Brake Convertion? Does The Welded Vertion Push The Wheels Out To Match The Rear (with The 944 Rear Brakes), Does It Lower The Front Any?
does Anyone In The South East Have Experience In Machining The Hubs And Spindles (would Prefer Using Beetle Bearings)?
Erwin
I've looked into having the Porsche spindles and Beetle spindles welded together to make a dropped spindle. Most people claim it's too dangerous to do it this way, but the off road guys have been doing spindles this way for years. Although they raise the spindle and not drop it. I contacted a guy over in Germany that did it for his bug and he claims he hasn't had any problems (pic attached.) Mark Johnson over at http://www.blindchickenracing.com/ quoted me $170.00 to have my provided spindles done with a two inch drop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spindle.jpg (18.9 KB, 157 views)
Old July 23rd 2004, 18:19

Thanks For The Info. This Sound Much Better Then The $280-$350 Quotes I've Recieved For Machining The Hubs, Spindles And Making The Backing Plates!!!!!!! :d
One More Question. Do You Know If With The Extra Metal Added To The Spindle, Will Th 17x7's Still Fit Under The Stock Front Fenders With A Stock Beam??
Thanks For Your Time,
Old July 24th 2004, 13:34

The welded dropped spindle will space your wheels out, but I can't honestly say how much and if you will be able to keep everything under a stock fender. I haven't gotten around to getting mine done yet and fitting everything up. You can always narrow your beam to get some of the offset back. This is what I'm planning on doing.
Old October 20th 2005, 01:14

I have been told that the welded spindles add 1.5in to each side.
Old October 20th 2005, 17:22

Thumbs up

Thanks For The Replies, I Went Through Franklin's Vw Wreck For Caliper Brackers. There Wasn't A Need To Have The Hubs Machined. Everthing Fits Just Right. Thanks,
Erwin
Old February 6th 2006, 11:13

its great when parts fit.

Steven,
I wonder if you might be able to post your parts list, it seems you have had some good luck with getting it all together.

I would love to know what combo of parts your using.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
jmd
Old February 10th 2006, 11:00

GOOD MORNING,
IT WAS PRETTY EASY, I WENT TO http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/ AND ASKED HIM FOR THE PART# FOR THE CALIPARS. THEN CALLED WILWOOD FOR THE PART# FOR RED CALIPERS TO MATCH THE ONE FRANKLIN GAVE ME.THE CALIPERS ARE DYNALITE II AND JUST ADD RD TO THE END OF THE PART# INSTEAD OF B. THE COST PER CALIPER WAS ABOUT $105 DOLLAR APIECE (ABOUT $10 DOLLARS CHEAPER THAN BLACK).I ORDERED THEM THROUGH SUMMIT, THEN FRANKLIN SENT ME THE ADAPTORS AND HARDWARE FOR $250, AND I USE MY STOCK SPINDLES, NO MODS NEEDED!!! ALSO CHECK OUT VDUBS FOR PORSCHE KITS. HIS PRICES ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS, SO THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN THE LIST PRICE.
ANY ? FEEL FREE TO ASK,
ERWIN
Old July 19th 2006, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven erwin
GOOD MORNING,
IT WAS PRETTY EASY, I WENT TO http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/ AND ASKED HIM FOR THE PART# FOR THE CALIPARS. THEN CALLED WILWOOD FOR THE PART# FOR RED CALIPERS TO MATCH THE ONE FRANKLIN GAVE ME.THE CALIPERS ARE DYNALITE II AND JUST ADD RD TO THE END OF THE PART# INSTEAD OF B. THE COST PER CALIPER WAS ABOUT $105 DOLLAR APIECE (ABOUT $10 DOLLARS CHEAPER THAN BLACK).I ORDERED THEM THROUGH SUMMIT, THEN FRANKLIN SENT ME THE ADAPTORS AND HARDWARE FOR $250, AND I USE MY STOCK SPINDLES, NO MODS NEEDED!!! ALSO CHECK OUT VDUBS FOR PORSCHE KITS. HIS PRICES ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS, SO THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN THE LIST PRICE.
ANY ? FEEL FREE TO ASK,
ERWIN
alll sounds very interesting!
What car are you fitting these to?