GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 29th 2003, 19:29

lowering - your opinion

I am looking for advice from users of actual setups please....

I have a 72 that I am lowering all the way around, not able to afford the GL yet, but have 51/2" wide chromies with 165 tires.

I have read all of the posts pertaining to lowering on this site as well as the SBO site and am getting confused as to the general consensous of what is the "better" way to go. I agree that Topline is the "best" in quality and workmanship and, yes, I have made a few phone calls to them concerning there products. I must add - great customer service and very helpful. If I had the money, I would just go with the Maxx strut and save for the tires and wheels, but I probably won't be able to afford this setup for quite a while.....and it probably won't be on this car.

As many have read and posted here before, there are many ways to lower the super. Some of these ways have lead to rather unhappy results. I am trying to get feedback here on what combos work and which one's didn't. I GAURANTEE you will be helping many after me with this post.

Here is a little of what I have picked up--- EMPI springs are crap - ride way to stiff, however the adj housings and struts are okay. Kustom 1 sells the EMPI setup with modified KYB shocks with bushings for $185 -not bad deal???, and California Import Parts (CIP1.com) sells a 2" lowered spring custom made for them for only $69 -- another good deal for a quick 2"...

Please tell me, and everyone else who continues to ask these same type questions, what setups like these have worked and which one's dont?

thanks in advance to all who reply.... please check with our other great site www.superbeetlesonly.com for this same post, hopefully with some different replys.

Robert