GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old August 8th 2005, 12:01

Carbon Fibre - How to bring back the shine.

Brief intro first.
I have several carbon fibre parts on my car (Running boards, rear remmelle style wing, headlamp rings, dashboard sections, airdam), some of these parts that are exposed to the weather didnt take kindly to our British climate and had gone very gray and washed out, with chalk rings where the rain had dried and they really looked terrible... I was almost at the point of binning all carbon as a bad job!

So I thought to myself, if its just gonna be chucked away, at least try and bring it back to life... Worst case scenario it still goes in the bin!

Started with 400 grit wet and dry paper, wet and with a dash of washing up liquid in the bucket. Then 1000 grit then 1500 grit (the higher the number, the finer the paper). Left the parts in the sun for a few hours to dry off, then sprayed the visible side with 2 pack Lacquer.

Results speak for themselves:

Unfortunatly I dont have a before picture!

I am going to further work the results by using 2000 grit on the lacquer to knock the high spots off, then a second coat of lacquer... This time the parts will be hung up so we can do all the way around (in theory totally sealing them). Then a further rubbing with 2000 grit then polishing with an electric mop.... I want a REALLY tasty finish!

Cheers,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old August 8th 2005, 23:08

Thumbs up

Sounds like a tech article in the making... would love to see the after shots...
As always... Great work! :agree:
Old August 9th 2005, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts73SB
Sounds like a tech article in the making... would love to see the after shots...
As always... Great work! :agree:

Err, Those ARE the after shots!

It was ruined before... All sorts of white marks, scuffs, it had gone various shades of light gray, the weave looked very 'odd'...

*** edit: Doh, I know what you mean now! Pays to read before posting... No worries, they will be posted!

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.

Last edited by samcat; August 9th 2005 at 17:12.
Old August 9th 2005, 12:51

I have a set of Carbon Joe's CF running boards that I haven't installed yet. Any issues with clearcoating them before installation? Joe?? Anyone???
Old August 9th 2005, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafer_Mike
I have a set of Carbon Joe's CF running boards that I haven't installed yet. Any issues with clearcoating them before installation? Joe?? Anyone???
I shouldnt imagine so... But it really depends if they have been treated with anything like a wax... As that will totally screw the adhesion!

Cya,
Sam C
Old August 13th 2005, 19:42

sounds like something i need to do to my carbon bits i have. the shine has dwindled so this could only help them shine again and save me some $$$. thanks for posting this sam. cant wait to see your car when its revamped too...mine is undergoing a revamp also. :agree: