GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old November 21st 2012, 16:48

Help: Fender sizing

I have been looking to order some Kerscher flared rear fenders for my superbeetle 1303. I am trying to figure out how much wider I will need to accomodate my wheels. Any input is appreciated, and if you have flared fenders if you could post your wheel and fender size.

Wheels:
15x8" 3.5" backspacing, I believe this equates to 15x8" ET -25.
Tires:
225/50/15

According to Kerschers website, the 4cm widened outside accommodate up to 9" ET-39. According to this, these 4cm widened fenders should fit with room to spare.

I am a bit confused though because my rear tires poked beyond stock fenders quite a bit. Here are some pictures for reference.

Old November 22nd 2012, 20:10

Hello, I show you what I did, I put on my beetle a RIAL Leichtmetallfelgen CAMPO 16 ", with an ET of 38 and go perfect.

Tyres: 205/55/16 Good Year NCT 5 and Excelence

In the pics are without the engine...

I am in process of restoration
Old November 22nd 2012, 20:14

This article can help you.

http://germanlook.net/html/tech/Tech...dernWheels.php
Old November 23rd 2012, 00:59

Thanks Maran, but I already have the wheels I will use and I already know the offsets of the wheel. I know I will need widened fenders, just how wide is the question.

More specifically I need to know how wide of a FLARED FENDER to get to fit my wheels. Kerscher website says I only need the 4cm wider flared fenders but IIRC my tires poked out over 2 inches. 4cm is a bit less than 2 inches.
Old November 25th 2012, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugged View Post
Thanks Maran, but I already have the wheels I will use and I already know the offsets of the wheel. I know I will need widened fenders, just how wide is the question.

More specifically I need to know how wide of a FLARED FENDER to get to fit my wheels. Kerscher website says I only need the 4cm wider flared fenders but IIRC my tires poked out over 2 inches. 4cm is a bit less than 2 inches.
Hi,

It is nearly impossible to say yes or no, especially if you are not sure about your offset.

Be aware of the numbers on Kerscher's site!!! All others seems to be correct, but not the 4cm rear ones! The same infos are written for the 6cm as well so one of them is fail, I guess it is the 4cm one!

I'm playing with wheel-fender combo right now and found that Lanner at Vdubengineering had the right numbers on his site, saying the original fenders will accept 7" wide rims with ET38 (like in Maran's post). Based on this you have to go even wider than 4 cm, however based on the pictures 4 cm should be enough..I don't think your ET is -25, that is very extreme, even on race cars

I decided to try 4 cm rear ones, with 8x16 ET11 wheels AND porsche 944 NA brakes, that cause an extra 25mm increase per side, equals to a 8" wheels wit ET-14. That is around 5cm increase / side and I'm trying to fit 4cm fenders on it. Will mount them next week, can give you a feedback after that. (check my "sleepair build thread" in project builds)

So it is important to know what kind of brakes are you planning to use? Do you prefer inner or outer widening? I guess an outer widened fender will allow more space due to shape..that is what I'll do if inners are too small.

I know shipping is plenty to the states, so you should find somebody running with 4cm ones and try them on, otherwise you can't be sure of this.
Old November 26th 2012, 12:51

Am I thinking about this all wrong or shouldn't you just be able to measure how far the tire sticks out beyond the stock fender? I have the CSP 4CM widened fenders running 17X8.5 et is 54 I believe. I have about 1.5 inch from the lip. I have purchased a set of Hartmann 3 piece wheels. Rears are 18X9.5 et 15, I believe these will fill out the fenders nicely.
Old November 26th 2012, 13:15

I'm sorry, I miss spoke. My rear fenders are 7cm widened, fronts are 4cm.
Old November 26th 2012, 23:56

Any Pics?
Old December 2nd 2012, 20:54

I found a better picture to reference. This is my set-up with stock fenders on it. I don't have the rear fenders any more.

I measured the backspacing of my wheel. It is indeed 3.5" from the rear lip to the mounting surface. It is 5" from the mounting surface to the front lip. I'm assuming therefore, my sizing is 8" 3.5"backspacing, or 8" ET -25.

On another note, I wish I could get some camber on my front wheels...
Old December 3rd 2012, 10:09

Quote:
It is indeed 8" ET -25.

On another note, I wish I could get some camber on my front wheels...
Than I'd buy +6cm fenders, I'm quite sure you are out of the +4cm range. Using a (10mm?) spacer is always an option + your rear brakes may add some extra increase as well.
What about the topline camber+ kit?
Old December 3rd 2012, 17:19

Quote:

Any Pics?
Bugged,

Here is a picture of the rear with 7cm CSP fenders and 17X8.5 et I think is 54.
I have about 1.5" to the lip.

Old December 3rd 2012, 17:32

On another note, I wish I could get some camber on my front wheels...[/QUOTE]

I use a K-MAC Camber/Castor adjuster plate like this:

Should give you all the adjust-ability you need.
Old December 3rd 2012, 22:17

I spoke with Kerscher via email today. In his words, "4cm outer widened fenders fit for max 9Jx15 -19 - but really hard.
I would suggest our fender 7cm inner and outer widened for your wheels. This would be best solution."

I am waiting for a shipping estimate, but I think I am going to pull the trigger on some Kerscher fenders.

Here's another question, should I get flared front fenders as well? I was thinking flared rear and regular front could look nice and also save some $$. WHat's your 2 cents?

711302, do you need to modify anything on the car to get those camber plates to work?
Old December 4th 2012, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogara_ZO View Post
Than I'd buy +6cm fenders, I'm quite sure you are out of the +4cm range. Using a (10mm?) spacer is always an option + your rear brakes may add some extra increase as well.
What about the topline camber+ kit?
I just realized I wrote the wrong backspacing down. I think I had myself convinced it was 3.5. ACcording to my measurements, the distance from mounting face to rear lip is 3.75", which brings me to an offset of ET -19. The wheels only come in 3.5 or 4" backspacing so either my measurement is off, or the wheel was off.
Old December 4th 2012, 10:53

Quote:
711302, do you need to modify anything on the car to get those camber plates to work?
No Sir, no modifications required. They bolt right on.