GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old April 13th 2006, 17:37

hey mikey sorry for this but steve c whered you find that bend thanks. and sorry mikey.
Old April 13th 2006, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Thanks guys. I'm going to spend this weekend putting it in.

Rob, it's a 2.0 Turbo. EJ20T. I'm going megasquirt with the EDIS ignition. I have the computer and the harness already, I just need to buy up the EDIS stuff.

I might end up making a removeable rear apron, I'm not sure just yet, I do know that rear sheet metal needs replaced. It'll be easier just to replace it, it's pitted and bent like crazy. The flat peice on the back, not where the latch sits. It's terible.

I was looking though your site again last night, Trying to decide to reverse the intake or leave it stock. Stock looks a lot cleaner. but I'd have to cut on the firewall. Although I'm not worried about going back stock with this body anyway. And if I turn it around I'd have to relocate the altenator. hmm... choices, choices...

I'd fit the motor first before deciding on how to mount the intake.
Also keep in mind that coolant cross-over. Stock it ends at the rear of the car, which looks kinda akward. (check the earlier motor picks on my site, you see a big black rad hose on one end).
You can flip the manifold, but you will need to reweld the neck since it will hit the bellhousing.

You might need to cut the firewall anyway because of the turbo.

Looking forward to the updates.... I actually spent about an hour on the bug today !! Trying to make up rad hoses.......

Rob.
Old April 13th 2006, 22:18

Bow, it's cool. You could have always PMed him. But seriously, I don't care.

That's about what my plan was, kinda sorta. Just fit the engine then work on the intake location after the engine is in. Since I have more room in the back, compared to a bug. I might like how the intake looks turned around.

As for the manifold, cutting and re-welding won't be any problem for me.

I was just looking at the engine just before we left the shop tonight. And I even brought up having to cut the firewall for the turbo. I'll have to cut it, I'm just wanting to make it look like it belongs.

I thought about saying in my last post, "you need to get back after it." That's great. I'll drive up there and show you when it's done. Biggest thing left is paint. I mean, the most expensive. I don't have the engine 100% figured out yet. But I still have time.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old April 14th 2006, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow
hey mikey sorry for this but steve c whered you find that bend thanks. and sorry mikey.
Hi

Theses people have them, http://www.999automotive.com.au but Im sure you could find them on Ebay or in your area. Ive bought them right down to 1 inch OD.

Steve
Old April 14th 2006, 20:50

thanks. sorry i didnt think of pming him
Old April 16th 2006, 15:12

Sweet you finally got the engine. I know on a 914 the intake needs to be swapped around so that you odn't need to cut a hole into the rear trunk area(what would be the firewall on a type 1). There are a few guy doing this conversion over a club914.com maybe that could give you a few good ideas. I can't wait till its on the road.
Old April 19th 2006, 23:11

Talking I have a Subaru in my Ghia!

Thanks Nick.

I got my engine in the Ghia!!! (last friday) It's in! I didn't want to post about it till I had good pictures. I took some the day I put it in, but they were Terible. To those that have been following along, you'll notice the better looking pictures are the pictures I took at night.

After making a hole big enough for the engine and clearancing for the turbo. I tried putting it in. I tried pulling it up into the compartment with a cherry picker. What a Beast! After fighting and pulling. I finally just got out the battery operated sawzal and cut my rear apron off. Not before I put a few good scratches on the two side timing belt covers and having the engine land on my foot, I love my steel toe boots. After the rear apron was off it just slid into position.

I took a few more parts off. Intake, water manifold, and I started making a bracket for the altenator. I have decided to turn the intake around. I thought about doing something like Martin's (bug@5speed) bug. He took and made a resessed box in the fire wall. Unless you look closely, you can't even tell. But I can't because of the location of the turbo.

Now I'm going to start working out the iginition system, the air filter/intercooler, water lines, exhaust... I'm also going to surround the engine some how so there isn't a big gap all the way around it. It seems for every 1 thing I accomplish there are 5 more things I need to do. I knew when I decided to go Subaru. There would be a lot of work, and I knew it would be more than I aticipated. It's not just the Subaru conversion. For example, I put my engine in, and now I need to give some more attention to the rear suspension. The rear wheels stuck out past the wheel arcs. That wasn't a problem till I added weight to the back, now they rub. It will be running and driving before paint. So I need to put money into the brakes... It doesn't end. I just need to stay focused and keep in the mind set of just tackleing this car one thing at a time.

Ah, felt good to vent a little.

Comments are always welcome, but please don't correct my spelling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 012 (Small).jpg (72.7 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 013 (Small).jpg (73.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 014 (Small).jpg (71.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 015 (Small).jpg (45.2 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by Mikey; April 19th 2006 at 23:15.
Old April 20th 2006, 01:00

Good job Mikey! :agree:

Now if I understand you correctly, you didn't want to butcher the firewall so you will be turning the intake manifold around correct? Does it bolt up in reverse of normal?

Are you making a bracket for the alternator because of your reversal (or plan to) of the intake manifold?

What could have been done to avoid cutting the rear apron off? (as if I'm concerned about originality here )

Thanks for keeping me motivated.

Kevin
Old April 20th 2006, 10:50

nice progress Mikey :agree:

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old April 20th 2006, 16:48

Thanks Vujade.

Kevin, yes I'm flipping the intake around backwards. And yes it will bolt up backwards. It's sitting backwards in the pictures.

Yeah, I started making the original alternator bracket work, It'll support the alternator now and piviot, But I need a sloted peice so I can adjust the tension on the alternator belt.

To avoid cutting the rear apron off? Lift the whole rear of the car up, then put the engine and tranny together. Then lower the body back down, but you better hope you never need to get the engine out of your finished car. I'm serious, I can't see no other way. I didn't want to keep removing material off the rear apron other wise I'd have a big gap. Think about it, once a bug engine is in, you have a big gap bettween the crank pully and the apron, but in the stock engine you have sheet metal to fill that gap. With a Subaru you won't, unless you make something. But you can't forget about the deck lid latch that sits on the apron too.

Make sence?

Thanks. I like motivating people. Helps keep me motivated too.
Old April 20th 2006, 22:17

Mikey,
This awsome, I am really enjoying reading about your and Yetibone's projects. Thanks for all the posts, photos and other info, keep it coming.
Old April 22nd 2006, 10:57

SWEET! I would use some zeus fasteners to reattach the rear apron. You don't need to seal the engine compartment because it's water cooled now.
Old April 23rd 2006, 16:57

sweet so when you gonna start her
Old April 23rd 2006, 18:27

Thanks Nigel. I'm glad you're following along.

Thanks Nick, I don't need to seal the engine compartment because of function, as you mentioned, it's not aircooled. I wanted to add something around the engine for looks alone.

Bow, When will I start her? Hmmm, I still need a few parts for my EDIS ignition system. I found a website that sells the used parts, but I'm sure I can get the parts cheaper by going to a junk yard myself. After I gather the parts, I'll need to wire it all up. Then figure out all the vacume lines and fuel lines. I'm in no rush, although I'd love to hear it rumble to life.
Old May 8th 2006, 23:00

Nothing major to report. On April 28th I had my wisdom teeth taken out. So I didn't work at all that weekend, and this past weekend I did some but only little. I'm still trying to get back up to 100% after the wisdom teeth.

I started making a cover for the turbo where it sticks though the firewall. I ended up using the bottom of a old rusted out gas tank, nice curves. I also clearanced some more for the turbo.

My biggest thing this past weekend was making a list of all the things I need to do on the body/chassis. Before I start trying to add more things. Rear apron, holes to fill, finish welding my dash, clearance the frame horn for the clutch arm... the list goes on, I couldn't figure out where to start. There are so many places that need attention.

I also have some good news. I just completed my 2nd year at college for welding. And I have recieved my Entry Level 1 welding certificate from the American Welding Society. I may or may not take welding classes this august to go for my Level 2. That depends if my teacher has the room in his classes for it, but if he does, I'm sure I will. I'm trying right now to get on at a local place called Titan Fab. I'm sure that'll make a good summer job to help build money up for the Ghia.

I almost forgot, Pictures?? I have some Energizer rechargeables, but I can't find the charger.