GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old October 27th 2015, 08:17

Automatic transmission

Good morning, I have three Super Beetles, one ,091 trans, one locked up 915, one automatic transmission, and a modified Rhino case.

At this point, I'd like to know more on the automatic transmission. I belive in Australia there is someone that modifies the automatic. Can someone speak on this, I plan on either keep it with vaccum first shift, or manual linkage via a manual modulator valve. I want to high performance all its internals.
Old October 27th 2015, 23:32

Do you mean semi auto Beetle trans or full auto from a type 3?
Old October 28th 2015, 06:37

Good morning, full automatic transmission
Old October 29th 2015, 05:14

Well then Aaron Roberts is your man, you should be able to contact him through aussieveedubbers, he calls himself quick camper, he has a 20b bay https://youtu.be/voDPbPT3q6Y but has been doing some work on a turbo rotary notch with one of his modified autos
Old October 29th 2015, 06:41

Hi steve, does Aaron use an automatic transmission, with that rotary engine? I use to look in on the aussiedubber site. Ok, I'll seek him out, maybe he'll share some insight on the automatic transmission. Thanks.
Old October 29th 2015, 23:44

His notch is running one of his Type 3 autos, the bay was running a 6 speed Porsche box
Old October 30th 2015, 06:11

It's been so long since I was amember of the assuiedubber site, that I forgot my password. I e-mailed the site administrator requesting his help in getting on. So this may take a while, I will get in touch with him.

Thanks Again.
Old October 30th 2015, 11:13

No worries, this is a video from a VW drag event last month, you can see his notch running https://vimeo.com/142127423 and my car briefly
Old October 30th 2015, 12:37

Hi, I saw the notch, but I didn't see where it ran? I'm hope the aussiedubber site mod will return my e-mail. I'd like to possibly p.m. the builder. Most good builders keep their how-to close to heat, what the hay, I'll ask

Peace
Old October 30th 2015, 17:48

Aaron is real gentleman, I hope he can help you, if you have no luck with the AVD admin let me know
Old October 30th 2015, 17:50

Thank you Steve
Old November 11th 2015, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Aaron is real gentleman, I hope he can help you, if you have no luck with the AVD admin let me know
Hi, I was on the Aussieveeduber site to day. Searching around, I forgot that you Steve have a Subie in a in a bug. So, if you will, allow me to ask question on fitment.

I am aware that you run a 4 cylinder, but, possibly you can invasion, that necessary space for the opposed 6 cylinder.

Question, how much space is left after the install, such as the timing belt cover to the (rearward) engine deck lid closure.

What I noted when I removed my forward/nose cone to body mound about two inches of wasted space. I have a Subaru adapter plate, its about half inch thick. Since its about stuffing it in there, Ill need to shave clearances where I can. As long as the lid closes normally, and it looks good. But no Subaru sounding exhaust notes. I have a three liter type IV in pieces , but it looks like the Subie will win with ease.

I have also been toying with the ideal of, when I split the pan, Ill even remove the frame horn, sort of; I bought a automatic torsion housing, I like the way it looks. And since, when you add various engine/trans; the frame horn seem to be more and more in the way. To a large extent, a inner chassis fender mounting area will have to be made stronger-gusseted anyway. You can't have allot of engine weight and power just hanging out there.

Even with the type IV engine I was going to use the type IV rear mount also. When I split the pan, I'll do a mock up of the automatic verses the frame horn, before I do extensive damage.
Old November 12th 2015, 06:56

Having read through your post reminded me of a fellow Aussieveedubber that did just that, and put an auto in his oval.
Took a while to find it (I should really be finishing my uni assignment!) but have added the link below for you.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/v...d=40166&page=1

Cheers
D
Old November 12th 2015, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstones View Post
Having read through your post reminded me of a fellow Aussieveedubber that did just that, and put an auto in his oval.
Took a while to find it (I should really be finishing my uni assignment!) but have added the link below for you.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/v...d=40166&page=1

Cheers
Before I even go to the link, I'd like to say, thank you. Three cars,with three different trans,still jugglingD, thank again.
Old November 13th 2015, 07:09

Not a problem, we're all here to help our fellow dubbers