GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 3rd 2004, 14:54

stiff suspension

I've converted my 1303 convertible to the suspension of a 1986 Porsche 944T. For the torsionhousing I use the covers of a Porsche 911. The torsionplates have a VW inner and Porsche 944 outer bushing. The problem is when I bolt the torsioncovers to the car that the suspension is very stiff. The springplate will only move with effort. Should I put spacers behind the covers? Help welcome!
Old May 3rd 2004, 15:38

I used the 944 tosion cover cut down. Mine too is hard to move when installed without the torsion bars. I remember my VW spring plates moving freely but it has been a while and I could be wrong. I was just planning on using some grease to lube up the bushings.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old May 3rd 2004, 18:22

not sure. i did not see this with mine, but i used T1 bushing on both sides and the stock torsion cover.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old May 3rd 2004, 21:03

I just placed my torsion covers on today for final assembly. I used some grease and they slid right over the bushing untill they touched the chassis. I would make sure that your torsion bars are going all the way into your chassis and spring plates because sand can get in there and make them hang up. I had that problem since the person that sold me my spring plates sand blasted them. Also make sure that there is no extra bushing material left in the torsion caps. So to give a good assembly procedure clean the splines on the torsion bars and spring plates and remove any excess rubber from the inside of the torsion cap and then grease them.

To clean the splines on the torsion bars I used a tooth brush and some penatrating oil. Spray the oil onto the splines and brush the old grease and grime off of the splines.
Old May 4th 2004, 02:50

944 spring plates

When I wanted adjustable spring plates, the SAW ones with the big ugly blocks wouldn't work with my narrowed trailing arms, so I used Porsche 944 spring plates. Since there are now two spring plates, I shimed the cover out to compensate. You should have done the same.
Old May 10th 2004, 17:45

Exclamation

What is the measurment of the shims you used? I also use the Porsche springplates.
Old May 10th 2004, 18:05

I used the inner vw bushing and the outer 944 bushing with the cut down 944 end caps and all I had to do was grease the bushings to get the end caps on. You don't want the bushing to be able to wiggle around. They should be held in there tightly so as to eliminate a sloppy feeling. Make sure everything is clean and try some grease on the bushings.
Old May 13th 2004, 14:36

When I switched to 944 spring plates, I used the stock VW spring plate covers. I had to cut down the outer rubber grommet that is bonded to the spring plate. The diameter was the same as VW, it was just too long. Once I cut it down until it was the same as the VW one, I installed everything using thick washers between the cover and the shocktower. The thickness of these spacers was close to the same thickness as a spring plate. Thinking back though, all I had to do was grind down the rubber grommet that much more and not use the spacer.