GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old August 20th 2007, 18:19

something different in style

I been doing some thinking of after redoing my bug in basically stock form just to get it on the road (its almost done if crap would stop happening where I gotta buy other things not to do with the VW).

Well I been thinking of 2 things but not sure really.1 idea is a Volksrod theme or I guess its GL but more on the Jap style theme.
For the Volksrod idea I was going to buy a 8" extention for the front, remove fenders,bumper,apron up front, then ste the fenders for front something like a prowler where the fenders turn.The Extention beam lowers the front 2" along with the drop spindles its another 2.5".Then the rear will have the stock look but with wider fenders, and oldschool rims.Oh an paint it solid blue eventually.

Idea 2 comes from a few GL's Ive seen and from the Jap theme.Id leave my bug the colors it is. Then lower the front an rear even. THen get some mid offset wheels that are 7" wide for front an rear an get low pro tires.
I seen a few new VW's with low offset wheels where the are at the lip of the fender.Never seen a bug like this as far as I know.
But will a rim with +20-35et be ok on a bug?
Old August 20th 2007, 18:38

Like this:
Old August 20th 2007, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
I been doing some thinking of after redoing my bug in basically stock form just to get it on the road (its almost done if crap would stop happening where I gotta buy other things not to do with the VW).

Well I been thinking of 2 things but not sure really.1 idea is a Volksrod theme or I guess its GL but more on the Jap style theme.
For the Volksrod idea I was going to buy a 8" extention for the front, remove fenders,bumper,apron up front, then ste the fenders for front something like a prowler where the fenders turn.The Extention beam lowers the front 2" along with the drop spindles its another 2.5".Then the rear will have the stock look but with wider fenders, and oldschool rims.Oh an paint it solid blue eventually.

Idea 2 comes from a few GL's Ive seen and from the Jap theme.Id leave my bug the colors it is. Then lower the front an rear even. THen get some mid offset wheels that are 7" wide for front an rear an get low pro tires.
I seen a few new VW's with low offset wheels where the are at the lip of the fender.Never seen a bug like this as far as I know.
But will a rim with +20-35et be ok on a bug?
Oh no! Don't jump on the "band wagon" and make VW's look like they were from Detriot in the 30's . Don't get me wrong it's a cool look, but IMHO should be left to AMERICAN car's.

For the other part of your post. If you have a really "stiff" suspension, your tires might not rub the fenders AS MUCH during turns from body roll and bumbs in road. I went through this myself.(twelve or so years ago) Your tires WILL rub the fenders if car is lowered, and has wheels that hang past fender lip. Please keep in mind just voicing my opinion. (again)

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old August 20th 2007, 22:52

Stiff suspension? As in what, sway bars...what else?I like the look but how would it look on a bug?Found a site that sales fenders with a flare which i did not know about,how do they look on bugs, ive looked in the members rides but i dont recall any with those fenders.
Old August 21st 2007, 01:07

Quote:
Stiff suspension? As in what, sway bars...what else?I like the look but how would it look on a bug?Found a site that sales fenders with a flare which i did not know about,how do they look on bugs, ive looked in the members rides but i dont recall any with those fenders.
What site is this that you found them on? Im going to do something similar to mine in the next transformation it goes through which will probably start soon.
Old August 21st 2007, 21:02

Quote:
Yes, sway bars help in body roll. (tires rubbing in corners) But in stiff, I mean larger diameter rear torsion bars. (like 28mm or 29mm) The front can be stiffened up with adjustable beam installed with HD torsion bars, or keep stock bars with adjustable beam, and "pre-load" them. (a little)

I think the flared fenders are avaliable only from europe at present. The CSP site may have them. (can't remember)

VKG
Old August 21st 2007, 21:46

http://markvfiberglass.com/index.html has the fenders an there in NV.
Would the tires rub if Im driving normal, this will be my daily driver not a race car.I mean Id understand them rubbing if I took a corner like these guys in hondas an stuff but driving the speed limit an being sensible, will they rub bad?

Last edited by Veedub; August 21st 2007 at 21:49.
Old August 22nd 2007, 21:24

Vee, not sure about the quality of markv stuff these days... in the past they were not that good. You will have some rubbing. It just goes with low rides and tires outside the fender lip. I raised my ride height back up a little when my old rims stuck out (just a little) past the fenders. Here's a pic. (over twelve years ago ) I can't find a front or rear shot, but the tires stuck out about half inch. The rear wasn't dropped yet.

VKG
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:01

Nice bug.If I go this route which most likely will happen since the Volksrod idea seems to be not legal in certain areas in Florida.
Im going to use these.
http://www.sportmaxwheel.com/sportmax_501.shtml
15x7 and 15x8's The black ones
15x7 et38 15x8 et15
I know there going to stick out an yes I will need to convert to the 4-100 bolt pattern.Id stay with drums since there a light weight wheel.That ok to do?
Then either the flared fenders or widened ones. I prefer flared but the quality I seen in a search wasnt good, holes dont match.But thats easy, just make new holes.

Last edited by Veedub; August 22nd 2007 at 22:06.
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:07

Those are some cool rim's :agree: . Drums will work. (for now )

VKG
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:17

Any idea if I'll need spacers or anything or will it be fine?I priced them for when the time comes 89.99 each
Im only gonna lower car like 2-3" so I dont think theyd rub much if i used a low pro tire.Like a 195/45 or 50 an 205/55 in rear
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:30

They will stick out with the et15. The et38 will to, but not as much. You might want to do some back space measuring on those wheels you got, and work from there with the company you want to get these wheels from...

VKG
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:31

the backspacing of the ones on my car now or are you talking about the ones posted above?
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:38

Don't you have some "70's style" rims on your car now? (those are the ones i'm talking about) Check the back space, and get creative with some scrap wood, or an old yard stick to make a "jig" to simulate the width of the new rims.

VKG
Old August 22nd 2007, 22:43

backspacing on them are like 2" because there 4.5" wide. I emailed a site to see if they could tell me the backspacing of the wheels above.

Heres a photoshop, I think if I could photoshop it would look good.

Last edited by Veedub; August 23rd 2007 at 00:11.