GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 5th 2005, 07:41

This will definitely be the inspiration for my racing project but I don't think I can build one as stunning as yours. Hope you don't mind?
Old October 5th 2005, 09:12

Hi Brent,
Do you have any other pictures of how you remade the lower coilover fixing on the rear trailing arms? I'll need to do this when I fit my G50 and from previously using 1.9" dampers with springs clearance was very tight!

Cheers,
Rich
Old October 5th 2005, 09:22

Hey! need more pics if you please...

I'm actually most curious about the interior. particularly the dash and how you handled all the wiring and what not. It appears to be completely gone!

Also...How your fron and rear aprons clip on. I had mine converted over in the rear to be removable w/ four small bolts, but never thought about the front. How's it work?

So... Dash, Wiring, front clip.

Bring it!

Heheh damn nice machine you have there.
Old October 5th 2005, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
I went to the nationals many years ago and got very crook, had to turn around and come home [food poisoning]. Not sure to answer you question, It certainly wont see the rain but you never know may just turn up one day.Do you think it may drag a few people up here to Auck if was on display in Giltrap or something? When are the Nat anyway? Cheers Brent.
Nationals are at Easter, 2006 are in New Plymouth.

I would certainly head up to Auckland to check it out if it was on display, at any time.

It is a beautiful piece of engineering, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old October 5th 2005, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
This will definitely be the inspiration for my racing project but I don't think I can build one as stunning as yours. Hope you don't mind?
Hi there, sure you can, just an overwhelming amount of dedication, patience and money. not alot to ask it it. Thanks for your kind coments.
Old October 5th 2005, 16:44

rear irs arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
Hi Brent,
Do you have any other pictures of how you remade the lower coilover fixing on the rear trailing arms? I'll need to do this when I fit my G50 and from previously using 1.9" dampers with springs clearance was very tight!

Cheers,
Rich
Yes this was a real tricky little number. I have actualy swapped the arms over first, and completely removed the old shock mount. From here as with all the other bits ive fabricated, made a carboard termplate of a new shock mount to fit the QA1 with Ebach springs which are probably closer to 3". I had noted the position of the original lower shock too. I fabricated a completely new mount out of 5mm plate which was finaly welded in place. I will take a picture for you. The other problem I came accross was the std boot was extremely close [in fact rubbed on the spring] so I used a high speed one which is often used in the centre of rear wheel drive "drive shafts" They are often seen on single seaters. The other bit i had to modify was the top located point. This was simply spaced away from the cast mount by means of a spacer just thick enough to alow the spring to clear the old bump stop casting] Obviously ive removed this rubber anyway and i had trimed the casting a little to compensate. I have also fabricated my own fully adjustable triangulated top stuts to completely stiffen it all up.. [there is a company who offers these but made my own. Realy need to see some pics so hang in there, thanks for you equirery too.
Old October 5th 2005, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeza
Nationals are at Easter, 2006 are in New Plymouth.

I would certainly head up to Auckland to check it out if it was on display, at any time.

It is a beautiful piece of engineering, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Jeremy
Will keep you in the loop thanks.
Old October 5th 2005, 17:06

dash and aprons etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Affe
I'm actually most curious about the interior. particularly the dash and how you handled all the wiring and what not. It appears to be completely gone!

Also...How your fron and rear aprons clip on. I had mine converted over in the rear to be removable w/ four small bolts, but never thought about the front. How's it work?

So... Dash, Wiring, front clip.

Bring it!

Heheh damn nice machine you have there.
Hi there, yes this was alot of work. I have totaly designed and fabricated my own dash, made a mould and have an article. I wanted the dash to resemble a 911 and to ballance well in the car. Also to be uniform with the sreering wheel and gauges. I had removed everything first, built the dash and then had a cage frabricated which the tubes run hard up against the screen. i then cut out the two small areas around the cage. This allows me to get the dash out v-quickly if need be. I will take a picture. The wireing is now on about 4 plugs so easy. The front apron was a new blank which i have fabricted a grill into to alow air into the two fronnt oil coolers. This was also a tricky little number, ive cut away the front of the tyre wel and fabricated in a new piece here too. Needed the clearance for the coolers and obviously to remove them for flushing. I have then welded 4 tags onto the apron and 4 weld nuts into the front body. the guards also have 4 extra holes so the apron can be bolted in place and removed seperately. I plan to just loosen the front few guard bolts, remove the 4 small bolts holding the apron in place and simply remove the apron. The rear has 4 zues clips. i will take a picture here too. Apart from the dash, this is the only other fibre glass bit on the car. Hang in there i wil take some more picutres.
Cheers Brent.
Old October 8th 2005, 21:36

man, this car is amazing. Really amazing. i love the wheel choice. O man......
-Ryan
Old October 8th 2005, 23:09

wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73notch
man, this car is amazing. Really amazing. i love the wheel choice. O man......
-Ryan
Thanks, they are built here in NZ by Arrow wheels. Very similar to the simmons in Australia..or the BBS, all three piece.
Old October 9th 2005, 01:32

Your car is such an inspiration for me! I also love the way it's turning out! very neatly done and looks to be well thought out (color choices even!).

BTW, it's neat to see some people from NZ here. I personaly have never been there but I have a friend who's heading to NZ at the end of this month for 4 weeks, She's going with part of a school (shes going as a post grad). They are going to be doing some studdying but since my friend (Kristina) has already graduated she will be doing a lot of Kayaking (white water) as thats one of her hobbies. I think she would love your car, shes very much into motorsports (not specificly the Kafer flavor... but german non the less). I know she would totaly appriciate what you have done.(I gotta show her some of your pics!)

Later,
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old October 9th 2005, 04:48

NZ trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by super vw
Your car is such an inspiration for me! I also love the way it's turning out! very neatly done and looks to be well thought out (color choices even!).

BTW, it's neat to see some people from NZ here. I personaly have never been there but I have a friend who's heading to NZ at the end of this month for 4 weeks, She's going with part of a school (shes going as a post grad). They are going to be doing some studdying but since my friend (Kristina) has already graduated she will be doing a lot of Kayaking (white water) as thats one of her hobbies. I think she would love your car, shes very much into motorsports (not specificly the Kafer flavor... but german non the less). I know she would totaly appriciate what you have done.(I gotta show her some of your pics!)

Later,
Jonathan
Thanks for that, she will love it here for sure. Ive done a little white water rafting my self,[not kayaking] but with a team in an inflatable.. lot of fun.
Hope Kristina has a great trip too and good to hear of her passion for motorsport..
Brent.

Brent.
Old October 9th 2005, 10:38

What size oil lines are you using? 10?
Old October 9th 2005, 11:38

cool car.
have built somthing along the same lines myself.

some more of the car and what i do with it are hear
good luck with the rst of the build and look forward to hearing about the huge grin you will have when you drive it for the first time.
cheers rob
Old October 9th 2005, 13:15

Hey Brent.

Wow man what an verry nice car...

I want more pics please!!!

I don't have so much money so I made almost everything my own.. this is the result after 3 years working on my 1303
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fo...2005233851.jpg

Wiebrand