GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 15th 2009, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX67 View Post
This is the reason why I'm asking Wally to elaborate his engine. Because of price, I'm on the STI side, even if it is not old school. But Wally has some interesting cheap solutions that work well...
Sorry mate, I may have used stock crank, rods, case, heads as a base, but there are no 'cheap' solutions to 350 hp aircooled and making it last on a track.
Just drag race, that would be much more easy and hence less expensive.
If you want to basterdize your car by using a japanese watercooled engine, be my guest. I am sure it will be much less expensive. If you think that is worth it, go right ahead.
My fun is to make an aircooled car fast and last. using a watercooled engine to make it fast is soooo easy, its no fun and no surprise for anybody..
To each his own I guess
It was (and will be) nice to have met you anyways Its all about FUN, nothing else you know
Old December 15th 2009, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Sorry mate, I may have used stock crank, rods, case, heads as a base, but there are no 'cheap' solutions to 350 hp aircooled and making it last on a track.
Just drag race, that would be much more easy and hence less expensive.
If you want to basterdize your car by using a japanese watercooled engine, be my guest. I am sure it will be much less expensive. If you think that is worth it, go right ahead.
My fun is to make an aircooled car fast and last. using a watercooled engine to make it fast is soooo easy, its no fun and no surprise for anybody..
To each his own I guess
It was (and will be) nice to have met you anyways Its all about FUN, nothing else you know
Basterdise is a tough word. People from vintage scene think that making german lookers is also basterdizing. We all think it's not like that, right?

Subaru STI is a very similar engine to VW AC. They even work with Porsche on development of new parts/engines. But, ofcourse, it's not that cool as aircooled engine. We all know that.

My point: the only thing that somebody can basterdize on their Bug is badly engineer it. Good engineering is good engineering. No matter is it aircooled or else.

I really admire Your car. I didn't said it's made of cheap parts. I just compare it with Remmele, MassIVe Type4 and that kind of stuff. Looking at their performance/price ratio, Your engine is - cheap. In no offensive meaning, sorry if You took that wrong...

This is why I ask how much Your engine costs with your knowledge and skills.
Old December 15th 2009, 15:35

Yes, I know mate; I just feel it a shame to put a watercooled engine in it for all the simple reasons I just mentioned. I'd rather run a nice solid type 1 than a jap watercooler.
But thats entirely my take on what I like. No offense and thanks for the kind words on my engine.
Make no mistake though, its not cheap at all, but mainly because I 'overdo' things internally.
There IS a reason it runs so cool and stays in one piece, but maybe it wasn't neccesary what I have all done. I probably overdid some parts, which made it more expensive than nessesary. I dunno, but I have little room for constant failures to find out if...

Thanks,
Walter

Edit: to (not) answer your question anbout costs: I am sure you can (and probably have) add up parts cost for a n/a type 4 in a bug. Even doing that you must have noticed that even a tuned type 1 is not much less expensive (you can hardly use the word 'cheap' with these hobbies) when done right than a second hand suby engine.
Not much point trying to compare that. Even then, you still will have spend a very decent sum of money and a **** load of work after your suby engine fits, runs and cools well and you still have a jap watercooled engine in your bug after all that... I dunno, it just doesn't ever seem justified im(h)o. But hey, since you asked me ;-)
But in all honesty, you did not really think I went to the trouble to keep account of all costs over all these years of executing my hobby did you?

Last edited by Wally; December 15th 2009 at 16:07.
Old December 16th 2009, 05:17

Wally is absolutely right! The subaru engine is a good engine no doubt.However,why are they so cheap? Usually they have around 200.000Km on them with unknown history.Then,people slap on a turbo and if they are lucky it will last a couple of years.But itīs still a 200TKM engine that can break any second as any other engine can.Rebuilding a subaru isnīt cheap either and will run you about the same price as a type 4 if not more.Jap parts are usually expensive.You can take a stock type 4 refresh/rebuild it and turbocharge it with fairly low budget.So letīs say around 5-6K Euros for everything engine related.for that,even though the engine is basically stock,maybe some light port work and of course stiffer springs you can have fun and be reliable and can make around 250HP that will last,just keep the boost down to a max of 15psi=1 bar.Good tuning and mapping is crucial - thatīs why Wally makes the power and reliability he has.If you are looking for the power that Wally has,thereīs more to it and itīs the bazillion little things that makes it expensive.Wally also has some exclusive parts like the Oettinger cylinders that have become very rare.
Old December 16th 2009, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Wally is absolutely right! The subaru engine is a good engine no doubt.However,why are they so cheap? Usually they have around 200.000Km on them with unknown history.Then,people slap on a turbo and if they are lucky it will last a couple of years.But itīs still a 200TKM engine that can break any second as any other engine can.Rebuilding a subaru isnīt cheap either and will run you about the same price as a type 4 if not more.Jap parts are usually expensive.You can take a stock type 4 refresh/rebuild it and turbocharge it with fairly low budget.So letīs say around 5-6K Euros for everything engine related.for that,even though the engine is basically stock,maybe some light port work and of course stiffer springs you can have fun and be reliable and can make around 250HP that will last,just keep the boost down to a max of 15psi=1 bar.Good tuning and mapping is crucial - thatīs why Wally makes the power and reliability he has.If you are looking for the power that Wally has,thereīs more to it and itīs the bazillion little things that makes it expensive.Wally also has some exclusive parts like the Oettinger cylinders that have become very rare.
I could only partially agree with You because STI reconditioned engine costs 2500 euros.

Add exhaust and pipes, wires, etc, etc., and You're on 3500.

If I could make reliable 200 HP Type4 for 3500 euros, I'll go for it!

I have good 2.0 T4 engine sitting in the garage and waiting...
Old December 17th 2009, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX67 View Post
I could only partially agree with You because STI reconditioned engine costs 2500 euros.

Add exhaust and pipes, wires, etc, etc., and You're on 3500.

If I could make reliable 200 HP Type4 for 3500 euros, I'll go for it!

I have good 2.0 T4 engine sitting in the garage and waiting...
So you can buy all the parts to adapt a STi engine for just 1000? Adapter flywheel, clutch parts, special exhaust, lowered alu sump, radiator, fans, coolent lines, watertank, several cut-off disks to hack up your rear end to position the double cams etc etc? Tell me your source for all these cheap parts
We could argue all day about costs and if costs are more important than having an aircooled motor in your VW or of the other above considerations I and others have mentioned, then any watercooled 'thing' would usually be less expensive.

So please get your suby engine in there and stop talking about it!
Are we now done about that subject?
Old December 17th 2009, 04:17

I'm in the dark side(that's they call the subaru engine in a beetle) but my opinion is that both sides have several good reasons to support their engine build, but there is no need each of the two sides try to convience the other one.
Wally has spend a good amount of euros in order to keep alive the character of the aircooled engine and some other people like me, they decide to proceed with something alternative but still boxer.

It always has to do with money and personal believes.

..........and dont forget..... we are all VW family and everybody does what he does!

Last edited by Jim; December 17th 2009 at 04:23.
Old December 17th 2009, 04:32

Wally, SMR reconditioned engine costs 1200 euros. Rest is new turbo and injectors, other parts used. That's "new" engine, You'll agree.

My source for cheap Subaru parts is SMR engines in UK, and Subarubreakers. But I agree. No more that subject.

Tell me what I can do with 3500 euros on my Type4. I'm asking You because you've gone far away in this aircooled world. I allready have 915 box, alu arms, front Alcon race discs 305 mm with Brembo 4-pot calipers, and Bilstein's on 25.5 sways rear and standard front beam. Even 4500 euros for the engine is OK if I can keep it old school.

I want fast road car. I don't care about track, because I do that too often in other cars. Fast, reliable grand tourer is what I want to make.

And, above all, thank You for making one of the most impressive Type 4 engines. Now tell me (because there is obvious reason I'm asking You), how would You spend 4500 euros on Type 4 engine and what it could make?

Break the myth with 4500 euros worth of parts...
Old December 17th 2009, 05:28

I agree with Jim, its all about the FUN and always should be

I also hate to talk about costs involded as you may have noticed and that is NOT because I have unlimited budget, far, far from that.
I know people that use 1500 euros and make a 300 hp turbo engine in a bug and I know people that spend 20.000 euros and realize 250 hp...
See what I mean?

So, sorry MX, but I am not gonna write you a prescription how to build an engine and what I think the costs are per item.
I let everybody see what I do and use and even why, but thats it. Sorry...

Now please, no more talk about what it costs, because it is sooo different for each and everyone of us.
Old December 18th 2009, 05:45

Everybody has to find their own method of doing things.Itīs the variety of this that makes it interesting and see what others have done.Regardless of budget.Creativity and the results thereof is what itīs about.Some people can build a low budget high HP motor and make it last,others canīt.Itīs knowing what you can get a way with and what is needed.This really applies to the aircooled engine.A list of parts and prices is only good use if one has the craftsmanship to make it work.Like I said,you can take a stock type 4,turbocharge it and get 200 reliable HP if you know what youīre doing.Precision tuning/mapping is the key.Wally came to his results due to years of constant evolution and trial and error.
Old December 18th 2009, 05:56

Well said Mark!
Old December 20th 2009, 12:36

Winterjob: adapting boxster front calipers to the rear to get better balance:

Old December 20th 2009, 23:20

That will be easy for a man with your resources and tallent.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old December 21st 2009, 06:11

You had 944 turbo calipers before right? What was the "problem" with those?
Old December 21st 2009, 07:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
You had 944 turbo calipers before right? What was the "problem" with those?
No, I even had the 993 rear calipers, which even have a little bigger cups than the 944T's.

Problem is brake balance. Been fighting too little rear brake bias for years now. Yes, tried 'everything'. Going back to my original believe that on a bug you can almost have the same calipers front as rear. Fronts are are 996 front.
This measure should solve that 'problem'.