GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 18th 2008, 12:25

Building a proper chassis -torsion bar beetle....

Hi All,

I know most of you guys run super beetles, but my GL in progress is a 69 car.

It has been converted to IRS and running a 901 box. I am fitting a CSP torque bar, urethane mounts and bushes, and seam welding the frame horns and axle beam running lower beam braces and finished off with 911 964 brakes.

While its all in bits. What else should I be considering? I know I should go for a cage really, but its not really what I want. I will probably have a roll bar over the drivers head, but I know that will cost me some torsional rigidity.

Cheers,
Craig
944 Turbo Brembos (Fr)
964 C2 Brembos (Rr)
Old April 18th 2008, 18:26

Pictures

Hello, sounds like a very interesting project. Do you have any pictures? 1969 Beetle, why go struts? I'm told struts handle much better, is this why?
Old April 18th 2008, 21:02

I always think about how messed up I'd be if I rear ended someone at high speed in my bug. I like the idea that a roll cage might give me a fighting chance at keeping my legs, or if I got T-boned, a chance to not end up as a hood ornament. Miata's can't be that much safer, but if you have the opportunity to add stiffness(which will make your car handle WAY better and reduce chassis fatigue) and improve safety, I'd go for it.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old April 19th 2008, 11:07

Just to clarify... Miatas are VERY strong! They've been engineered with MODERN engineering concepts and built with MODERN materials. Do some diggin around and you'll find out that they are incredibly strong. Heck I wish my Ghia would do as well in a crash as that car would.

Not being injured in a crash is my main objective in the cage/reinforcments for my Ghia. I want my kids to be able to see dad come home. I'm having LATCH style mounts installed in the back of my Ghia so my tadpole has a chance.
Old April 21st 2008, 13:18

I too am building a car based on a 69 IRS pan, and am working out the conversion for the rear end to 944 T bits, the front end to the same brake setup. I am not bound by the issues faced with the body ect. I will be running a full cage designed for both safety and strength. the question I have is about how others are building out their 'handling' chassis. front suspension additions ect.

I also wanted to ask mr. big, how you like your 901 box? and what engine are you running. I am working with a subaru STI connected to the 901 box. What clutch / pedal setup are you working with? hydraulic? How does it shift? how did you handle the connection of the box? did you run it low into the tunnel? or was it lifted up using the stock throughput apurature?

Thank you for all your insights.
Old April 22nd 2008, 21:14

Hi.

I and a few others have been/are putting waterboxers in beetles and even 1303R has turbo'd one. Frame horn welding is not necessary but is a nice thing to do if you have the opportunity. I'm not into putting a cage in cause I don't like the look of it, but at some point I would like to put in genuine heater channels from Mexico - the ones with internal strengtheners.

Everything I read tells me to to steer clear and sell the Urethane mounts I have for the gearbox, and replace with stock ones until I can afford to get Rhino mounts. Just food for thought.

effvee - I think he means a beam axle front with IRS rear. The best of both worlds and a recognised and desirable setup

FYI - I go under the same name on Volkszone.com - pop over and say hello if you aren't already on there.
Old April 24th 2008, 03:53

if you dont want a cage then try putting the cabby sill renforcements under you floor pan and the sill to 1/4 panel panels.
get some brace bars on the beam, like the ones on a baja.
if you can find somone to do it get the lower front trailing arm bent out a bit to increase the camber and spend some time on a proper 4 wheel alignment
blistien or konie shocks all round.
use a splitty front mount and trekker rear mounts on the gearbox, this is what cb sell as h/d performance mounts
cheers rob
Old April 30th 2008, 18:36

Jmd, the bug is still in pieces at the moment. This is why I am looking at all the possible mods at the moment, so that I dont have to tear it apart again when its finished.

The more I talk to people the more a cage seems like a good idea. Might just go for a 6 point one with no dash bar or door bars. I would like to be able to use the rear seats with some dignity for the passengers.
944 Turbo Brembos (Fr)
964 C2 Brembos (Rr)
Old May 5th 2008, 15:16

mr. big,
what can you tell me about your tranny? Year serial ect? how have you installed it (lower in a cutout in the pan, or up high moving the center line of it all up using the stock tranny nose opening...)? do you by chance have any photos of the install? have you used your bug shifter or have you moved over to using the 911 shifter mechanics? Also did you do the 'hockey stick' mod to get your shifter linkage working? As well what did you do for the shift coupler at the back of the tranny tunnel?

any insights you might have in this regard would be awesome, as I am about to start this part of my build...hoping to not have to reinvent the wheel if you know what i mean.
thank you!

Last edited by jmd; May 5th 2008 at 15:18.
Old May 5th 2008, 16:42

I want a cage REALLY bad, but I'm concerned about the possiblity of injury when not wearing a helmet in the case of an accident.