GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old August 10th 2010, 04:58

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you measured the surface of each spigot hole to be flat and it was not.
Thats important of course, if not alone for sealing, but you still don't know if the distance from the crank centerline is equal for all cylinders right? Or did I miss s/th in your descirption?
Exactly.It´s something I normally would not have measured,but the "groove" caused by the cylinders had me thinking something wasn´t right.As far as the centerline goes you´re right,Wally.I think to measure that you would need a fixture of somekind that would allow you to measure the height from the spigot to the mainbearing or the fixture acting as a dummy crank.I don´t know really if that´s the way to do it,but might be a possibility.This would only work if the bearing saddles are also straight and not "crushed".The case had already been line bored 0.50mm over.

Quote:
Good to hear you're almost ready to build Mark.

Are you doing anything special to the inside of the case as far as smoothing any sharp edges ?
Hi Sandeep,Thanks! Yes, now since the case is beeing milled anyways,I will be smoothing the edges behind the spigots aswell.I may be cutting a hole/slot behind the #2 cylinder spigot for better case ventilation just like my 3 liter case has.Glad to hear you´re almost ready to assemble aswell.Then you will have to move to Germany so we can chase Wally around the track!
Old August 10th 2010, 05:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Then you will have to move to Germany so we can chase Wally around the track!
Thats some funny sh*t right there!
Old August 12th 2010, 04:46

I weighed the valves yesterday.The exhaust valves weigh 90 grams and the intakes weigh 92 grams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P100810_15.09[01].JPG (13.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P100810_15.11.JPG (19.0 KB, 12 views)
Old August 12th 2010, 13:36

Thats pretty good!
My 40mm non-hollow 8mm exhaust valves are 93 gramms and intakes I can't remember...
Old August 14th 2010, 07:18

It´s an average weight for that size valve,so I´m happy.Personally,I prefer a material that is "bullet proof" and can withstand extreme temps rather than a light valve of maybe lesser quality.There´s a spring for everything nowadays.I don´t think I would notice the difference in acceleration or perhaps wear if the valve was 10 or 20 grams lighter.I would rather save weight elsewhere like on the rods and pistons.
Old February 23rd 2011, 13:02

Hi everybody,

I´ve got good news and I´ve got bad news.The bad news is that the 2 liter case has several issues.It is all repairable,but it means additional work in a case that I´m no longer confident with for this project.I won´t go into detail,because I´m not the type of guy to slam somebody over the internet ( it's not Remmele btw).The matter is beeing resolved and there are no hard feelings.

The good news is I have a case that is worthy to use.I will be using my case that is set up for a 103x88 T4. I will still retain the 71mm crank and stock rods and the webcam 163,parkerized lifters from Jake Raby and the turbo will also stay the same.Changes are 102mm Deutz tractor cylinders and JE pistons.The Deutz cylinders require a lot of machining to fit,but that has already been taken care of.They should come in sometime next week - hopefully.The only thing left to do on the cylinders is,setting up the deckheight.I´ll post pics of the cylinders as soon as they come in.
Old March 9th 2011, 05:39

The long awaited package has finally arrived! The cylinders are here! Each cylinder is milled for it´s respective cylinder position.The #1 cylinder is milled differently than the # 4 cylinder etc. This is due to the fin size and the type cylinder spacing and so the pushrod tubes fit.
I will still have to mill the cylinders to stock length.The original length is 102,5mm and I will shorten them to 91,4mm.The bore of the this model Deutz cylinder is 101,65mm.This means that a SBC piston can be used.For that I would have to modify my rods which costs more time and money.So...different than originally planned I will be following Wally´s advice and also have the cylinders bored out to 103mm and use the JE 103x71 pistons with the 24mm pin.Together with the copper head gasket from aircooled.net I´ll have a deck of -2,96mm and a 8.33:1 CR.This is the easiest way and will save me further machining and having to mill more than 2 cooling fins from the cylinders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (81.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.jpg (79.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (80.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (80.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0060.jpg (80.7 KB, 42 views)
Old March 9th 2011, 12:07

Very nicely done!
So these will still have to be shortenend and bored right?
With 2366cc you won't ever need more displacement if you turbo it efficiently :-)
Old March 10th 2011, 06:05

Thanks Wally! Yes, the cylinders still have to be shortened and bored.You´re right about the displacement also,I will never need to go any higher.Right now, I have a GT3071R .63 turbine and .50 A/R.That might be a bit too small eventually,but for starters it will do fine until I get comfortable with tuning properly.I´m undecided on which Engine Management System to get.Since the prices are all about the same and they all have pretty much the same features doesn´t make it any easier.So it boils down to how user freindly they are.I´m thinking either DTA,KMS or Haltech...
Old March 10th 2011, 08:03

I'am biassed just like Armin, so I won't comment on that ;-)
Old March 10th 2011, 10:32

LOL...can't imagine why...
I'm leaning towards the KMS because support would be fairly near and the dealer is also an excellent tuner, which would really help me understanding how to tune an efi much better and faster.
Old March 10th 2011, 16:35

You know KMS is a dutch system right?
Old March 11th 2011, 04:39

Yes, I do. I´ve heard a lot of good things about the system. There´s a dealer near Frankfurt that works very intensively with KMS.He´s the one that set up Jürgen´s V8 twin turbo bug and the tiptronic trans for it.
Old March 11th 2011, 09:16

The deutz cylinders look interesting. couple of Qs.

Are you using genuine parts or one of the many copies?
The cylinders are Ali, yes? Are they coated?

I thought that Ali pistons and cylinders don't go well together hence the usual plating options. I notice the Deutz pistons have a graphite coating to reduce wear.

Or are you planning to get the cylinders plated after the machining is finished?
Old March 11th 2011, 09:48

Hi Bruce - These are original Deutz cylinders. They are cast iron not aluminum.IIRC they are also nitrided but I can't confirm that. After the cylinders have been bored I may have them nitrided.Also I will be using JE pistons.